288 GTO: Search Completed: The Redux - Page 6 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 123 Old 10-08-2016, 12:24 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
I would come clean, yes, another purchase last May. My very first 1967 Fiat Giannini 590 GT, bought from an older gentleman from Italy, bought unseen as usual. Spunky little thing that runs around like a little rat. More details to follow.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Hello Jimmy,
How are you?
Do you enjoy drive the Giannini?
I can't imagine how great is your collection .....
Best Regards

Fabio F.

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 123 Old 10-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Small is beautiful! I have gone that way with the Dino (acquired since you were last active on this site - see below) and my 911 (owned now for just coming up to 15 years) also fits that bill. I also acquired a Maserati Granturismo, which is way too big, but my wife and daughter love it, so I guess that's OK.

So, we have established that you have the SA and the 16M, the Alfas (Duetto and SS) and I assume you still have the Fairlady (?). So what else have you added to your collection.
Hello John,
wonderful cars you havein your garage, compliments..... in Italy is difficult to have .. government want taxes for the cars like was a castle ...

Best Regards

Fabio F.

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
post #103 of 123 Old 10-08-2016, 02:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Very nice Jimmy. Like an Abarth only much rarer.
I saw one of these in an auction catalogue here in the UK recently. I'll try to find a link for you.

post #104 of 123 Old 10-08-2016, 02:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Hello Jimmy,
How are you?
Do you enjoy drive the Giannini?
I can't imagine how great is your collection .....
Best Regards

Fabio F.
Fabio, thank you first for your help. As you can see, I did find this Giannini 590 GT in Vertibo, Italy. The owner was an honest car lover who took excellent care of his G for over 20 years. She was and is perfect because when she arrived here in Japan, the car needed absolutely nothing to do for the pre registration examination, which is very, very rare.

As for my irrational behavior, I think of it as my post midlife crisis in continuum.

I have only driven few times around local streets so still learning. Suffice to say that being so light and small, this G runs like a rat.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #105 of 123 Old 10-08-2016, 03:09 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle View Post
Very nice Jimmy. Like an Abarth only much rarer.
I saw one of these in an auction catalogue here in the UK recently. I'll try to find a link for you.
John, thanx for that. There were few choices at the time of my search, but I decided on this G. Although the previous owner showed only few photos, I chose this G because he seemed genuine, the car came with the AIS (Italian certificate, I believe), and somehow seemed nice overall.

Would be interesting to see the mentioned link. Thanx in advance.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images

Italian Lover
post #106 of 123 Old 10-08-2016, 04:47 AM
Owner

Were able to resize the most recent photos I took here in Yokohama. Posting some.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images

Italian Lover
post #107 of 123 Old 04-22-2017, 01:51 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 296
1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sprint Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
Been on the fence a while, ...although not F cars, but back with some more.

One of the latest acquired early this year. A 1964 Alfa Romeo 1600 SS (Sprint Speciale), understand that 1400 made. Has the "same" 1600 motor as my other AR Duetto Spider, but tuned quite differently to say the least. Much, much more responsive, quick, easy revving, and subsequently fun to drive. Still have not driven much and with slow learning curve, beginning to find out what she is like.

Just fell in love with the looks. If I may dare to say, has a similar stance to the Lusso in a way.

Relatively small in size and light with very responsive engine.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Hello Jimmy,

The 288 GTO is absolutely stunning! I would love to hear it...what does it sound like?

I was even more amazed that you have a Fiat Giannini and AR Giulia 1600 SS. Iíve always liked the feisty-look of the Giannini, but mostly liked its name (literally it means: young-boy GianniÖsomething like Johnny in English).

Iíve always been a BIG fan of the AR 1600 Giulia SpecialeÖvery cool design, larger engine than the 1300 (75 vs 100 HP), and far, far, far ahead of its time. For example, its drag coefficient of 0.28 is the same as a Corvette C6 (2005). How did you find yours?

Iíve never owned an AR, but have been looking for a while now. I'm a bit partial to the Montreal, being Canadian, but I'm open minded in my search. Some day soon, I hope.

Regards,
Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
Past cars: 1965 Corvette Stingray Roadster; 1974 Corvette Stingray.
post #108 of 123 Old 04-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
Hello Jimmy,

The 288 GTO is absolutely stunning! I would love to hear it...what does it sound like?

I was even more amazed that you have a Fiat Giannini and AR Giulia 1600 SS. I’ve always liked the feisty-look of the Giannini, but mostly liked its name (literally it means: young-boy Gianni…something like Johnny in English).

I’ve always been a BIG fan of the AR 1600 Giulia Speciale…very cool design, larger engine than the 1300 (75 vs 100 HP), and far, far, far ahead of its time. For example, its drag coefficient of 0.28 is the same as a Corvette C6 (2005). How did you find yours?

I’ve never owned an AR, but have been looking for a while now. I'm a bit partial to the Montreal, being Canadian, but I'm open minded in my search. Some day soon, I hope.

Regards,
Gianni
Hi Gianni,

Unfortunately, this thread, the Redux, is not the thread that I started for my GTO. Please search under 288 GTO: Search Completed under my Italian Lover handle name. It should be over 120 pages. You'll find many, many photos there.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

PS. This thread, The Redux, was started by Siv (whom I met in Tokyo during his visit several years back). Shiv fulfilled his dream and acquired his GTO since and enjoying his car immensely.

Italian Lover

Last edited by Italian Lover; 04-22-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spell
post #109 of 123 Old 04-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Owner

Hi Gianni,

Several photos of the SS.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images

Italian Lover
post #110 of 123 Old 04-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Owner

Few more SS
Attached Images

Italian Lover
post #111 of 123 Old 04-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Owner

Sorry, can't seem to upload multiple at a time.
Attached Images

Italian Lover
post #112 of 123 Old 04-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Il Commendatore would be very happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss View Post
Folks,

As some of you may know, 56653 was #199 of the original 200 homologation cars and was sold to Keke Rosberg. He never took possession of the car, instead selling it on to Joseph Galdi of Tucson on the condition that Il Commendatore never found out. So this is really a one owner car in the most unbelievable, original condition. Current mileage is 8622 km. Over the coming months, I will detail more of the cars history and share some experiences, in the hope that I can match Jimmy's prose.

Cheers,
Shiv
Congratulations Shiv! Woohoo! Well Done!

That's a very cool story that will significantly add to the car's provenance. But with your obvious passion and excitement about the car, I suspect that Il Commendatore would be very happy to know that you now are the owner of 56653 (199 of 200).

I'd love to hear what she sounds like, so if you can make a video and let her sing, I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Gianni

1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello FHP; 1999 Ferrari 456M GT; 1996 Buick Riviera; 2008 Bentley GT; 2010 Lotus Evora; 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV;
post #113 of 123 Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Folks, It's time for a new thread.....but finally the dream has come true.......56653 was #199 of the original 200 homologation cars and was sold to Keke Rosberg. He never took possession of the car, instead selling it on to Joseph Galdi of Tucson on the condition that Il Commendatore never found out. So this is really a one owner car in the most unbelievable, original condition.............Cheers, Shiv
Shiv, I do not understand how I could have missed this thread, but I did. Reason I post now, years later, is your mention of Joe Galdi. I met Joe Galdi over 20 years ago when he called me from Tuscon and said he had seen my 365GTC speciale at Lyle Tanner's in Los Angeles and that he and his brother wanted to buy it. They loved a GTC that they had owned but had sold it and now had seller's remorse. I told him that while I had considered selling it I had decided to keep it and it was not for sale. He said: but we REALLY want to buy it. I replied, but I REALLY don't want to sell it. At ANY price? he asked. I said, it's not like I would be selling my daughter's virtue, so I guess there's a price that will buy the car. Joe: I'm calling you back next week; please have a price that will buy your car.

Next week: Seth, what will it take to buy your GTC?

Seth: $500,000.

Joe: that's absolutely crazy; no GTC has ever sold for more than $180K.

Seth: I know, but you asked me for a number. Right now, today, $500,000. buys my car. I don't know about tomorrow.

Joe: we'll pass.

Seth: as I expected.

His next trip to New York we had dinner at my Club; my next trip west I visited him at his home in Tuscon. Where he had a magnificent Ferrari 312PB and a lovely 365GTC4. And was building a model RR layout 8 ft wide and almost 30 ft long, a replica in HO gauge of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad, with the old California Zephyr, dozens of steam and diesel locomotives and maybe a hundred cars of passenger and freight rolling stock.

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #114 of 123 Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
sss
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 155
Quote:

That's a very cool story that will significantly add to the car's provenance. But with your obvious passion and excitement about the car, I suspect that Il Commendatore would be very happy to know that you now are the owner of 56653 (199 of 200).

I'd love to hear what she sounds like, so if you can make a video and let her sing, I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Gianni
Sorry guys, I've been away. Jimmy, thanks for re-introducing this thread. Sorry I missed you last time in Tokyo, hope to catch up again soon.

Gianni, it is very kind of you to mention my name in the same sentence as Il Commendatore, and I feel very lucky and happy to have the keys to such a machine, to be the keeper of an important part of our automotive heritage. 56653 is truly magnificent and no day goes by without a wave to good fortune and happiness.

Sincerely,
Shiv

Last edited by sss; 05-12-2017 at 06:15 PM.
post #115 of 123 Old 05-12-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
sss
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Shiv, I do not understand how I could have missed this thread, but I did. Reason I post now, years later, is your mention of Joe Galdi. I met Joe Galdi over 20 years ago when he called me from Tuscon and said he had seen my 365GTC speciale at Lyle Tanner's in Los Angeles and that he and his brother wanted to buy it. They loved a GTC that they had owned but had sold it and now had seller's remorse. I told him that while I had considered selling it I had decided to keep it and it was not for sale. He said: but we REALLY want to buy it. I replied, but I REALLY don't want to sell it. At ANY price? he asked. I said, it's not like I would be selling my daughter's virtue, so I guess there's a price that will buy the car. Joe: I'm calling you back next week; please have a price that will buy your car.

Next week: Seth, what will it take to buy your GTC?

Seth: $500,000.

Joe: that's absolutely crazy; no GTC has ever sold for more than $180K.

Seth: I know, but you asked me for a number. Right now, today, $500,000. buys my car. I don't know about tomorrow.

Joe: we'll pass.

Seth: as I expected.

His next trip to New York we had dinner at my Club; my next trip west I visited him at his home in Tuscon. Where he had a magnificent Ferrari 312PB and a lovely 365GTC4. And was building a model RR layout 8 ft wide and almost 30 ft long, a replica in HO gauge of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad, with the old California Zephyr, dozens of steam and diesel locomotives and maybe a hundred cars of passenger and freight rolling stock.

Seth, I finally got to meet Mr. Galdi at Quail last year. He shared with me how he managed to get hold of the car. He is a true lover of the Scuderia. 56653 is in fantastic original condition. The Toyo Proxes tires suit her well, and the turbo torque multiplication as the boost comes up is nothing sort of sensational. And yet, even when she is not moving, just a pleasure to the eye !

Cheers,
Shiv
post #116 of 123 Old 05-12-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
sss
Owner

Quote:

Regards,
Gianni
Now that the weather is finally good, I shall look into the best way to make this video.
post #117 of 123 Old 05-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Owner

Shiv, so happy for you to know that you are in harmony with your GTO. Truly a privilege to be not only as an owner but driving and enjoying the beauty.

We'll get together next time you visit Tokyo or possibly in California, but I'm usually in the Southern California myself.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #118 of 123 Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Now that the weather is finally good, I shall look into the best way to make this video.
Hello Shiv,

Any luck with making a sound recording of the running engine? Would love to hear it!

Regards,
Gianni

post #119 of 123 Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Folks,

It's time for a new thread...I'm struggling to type this since I'm very excited...but finally the dream has come true. But first, I would like to thank Jimmy who took us to a fantastic dinner in Tokyo and whose search continued to motivate us to find the right car and so I name this thread in his honor.

So, Dean and I have acquired 56653. The funny thing about all of this, that after searching for years, 56653 turned up 3 miles from my own house in Scotts Valley at Canepa Design. Many thanks to Bruce and Robert Jordan for their help and support in making this happen. We have not yet taken possession, I expect to happen in the next 30 days as Bruce goes over it with a fine tooth comb.

As some of you may know, 56653 was #199 of the original 200 homologation cars and was sold to Keke Rosberg. He never took possession of the car, instead selling it on to Joseph Galdi of Tucson on the condition that Il Commendatore never found out. So this is really a one owner car in the most unbelievable, original condition. Current mileage is 8622 km. Over the coming months, I will detail more of the cars history and share some experiences, in the hope that I can match Jimmy's prose.

I have attached some pictures, including one with our friend and business partner Ken Okuyama when he visited us on Saturday.

Cheers,
Shiv
Hello Shiv,

Any update on what's like to own a 288 GTO after 3 years?

By the way, I just spotted this one that's being offered for sale at $2.6 million.

1985 Red Ferrari for sale. 1985 288 GTO ferrari for sale.

Regards,
Gianni

post #120 of 123 Old 04-06-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
sss
Owner

Gianni,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been travelling and only just now had a chance to write.

Well, the car is everything you can imagine and more. I feel very grateful to be the keeper of such a vehicle, and I try and share with as many enthusiasts as possible. I have taken her to Quail twice, Concorso Italiano three times, and several different cars and coffee and drive events.

Sometimes, it is hard to separate my brain from the magic light that shines from this car because it bathes me in its light. It is very easy to get carried away that you are somebody special, when in fact it is the car that is special, so I try and keep myself honest which is not so easy when you are surrounded by many inquiring and adoring faces. I do get asked a lot of personal questions, but I do my best to avoid answering them. I find this to be a little tricky. However, most people are appreciative of the car and the opportunity to be up close and personal with it.

Two people annoyed me the most. The first one was some wealthy collector who came up to me at Concorso and said "What else you got" and the other guy said "I'll write you a check right now, how much". The guy at the pizza shop, who said, "Fantastic 308", well I just smile to myself, that doesn't bother me at all !!

Driving the car can be tricky on public roads. She is very low and very fast, particularly the mid-range acceleration as she spools the turbos. The speed is relentless and the thrill of a mid-engine 1200 Kg Ferrari with 400 HP is hard to express. I'm running modern Toyo Proxes autocross tires, and they are great on warm days. The overall grip levels are very high and she keeps up with almost anything on the road, which is pretty crazy for a 32 year old beast. She doesn't like bad roads at all, the suspension is very sensitive and the feedback through the wheel can be brutal when hitting bumps and grooves. But on smooth, fast sweepers, she is absolutely sensational..I always get the sense that she is just playing with me, chiding me that I don't know how to drive, that she could easily have gone into those turns at least 20 or 30 mph more than I was willing to give. In a tight parking lot, she can be a handful without the power assist. I try not to drive at night, since the 80's headlight technology is where I really feel the difference with modern machines.

On the mechanical side, I have made some replica seats because the factory seats are so narrow with very little padding and my butt would hurt after only 30 minutes, making the car very dangerous to drive since I could no longer enjoy or concentrate on the task. The seats are truly stunning and one of the FCA judges told me that the seats are "too good" to come from the factory, but I take that as a compliment ! I did change the turbo oil return lines to flexible hoses instead of the factory hard line, since the guys from DK Engineering told me that they crack and the hot oil can catch fire. I also added a fire extinguisher at the base of the passenger seat just in case I need to act quickly. It took me a while to find the right brake pads...the pads that were recommended on the other forum by Steve et. al. were not to my liking, but at this point I'm very satisfied with the results. Washing the car will always soak your air filters, so now I am careful to block them up before a detail session. Next year, she will probably spend some time in the shop for a belt service and other regular maintenance.

Cheers,
Shiv

Last edited by sss; 04-07-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode