Ferrari Life Forum banner

Carrera GT prices

14K views 88 replies 24 participants last post by  16M Down Under 
#1 ·
It seems that in the past 6 months there has been strong growth in prices of Ferrari supercars like the F50 and the classic car market in general. However, one exception seems to be the Carrera GT. Given that the CGT appears to be a stunning car to drive, is very much an analogue supercar and is superbly engineered (and was placed
top in a three way tie with the F50 and F1 in the recent supercar test
in EVO) then why are prices not rising? A temporary lag
or will prices continue to remain relatively low?

#3 ·
I agree , the are not that great looking but also the are some comments on the web regarding their safety! Also the accident of the actor from Fast and Furious does not help either!

#8 ·
It is easy:

F1 is super rare!

F50 is rare!

CGT is mass production! They even stopped production, as nobody was buying them anymore.
I agree that rarity should drive absolute values but the made about the same number of F40s as CGTs and F40 values have gone up quite a lot this year. Similary Porsche 2.7 RSs have lept up in value for a similar production volume.

Perhaps the CGT isn't old enough yet.

It is true that running costs are high. And they require skill and/or restraint.

#11 ·
I think they look a proper car, and in the right colour super. dangerous ? nope, just a handful like cars sometimes should be. I think undervalued and will increase in time. expect a 30 to 40% increase i would say next 5 years minimum.

#15 ·
When you stop making them because nobody wants one, like m said, the market is saturated. Has not happened with any of the Ferrari supercars, which are usually oversubscribed.

I think if the CGT was just considered eye-poppingly beautiful by everyone, a lot would be overlooked because of the high performance and build quality. But it is not.

#16 ·
Porsche just has a different philisophy. They could have restricted
numbers to 400 like the Enzo and the CGT would
have been massively oversubscribed. Would have been better for residuals but fewer people would have got to own one. Same approach for the latest crop of Supercars.

Even with the higher number of CGTs made I have only seen one on the road (rather than in showrooms) and that was in Greenwich Village, which is not really an ideal place to drive one. Did sound good though!

#25 ·
I love the CGT and passed on one at 250k and went with the 16m.

The CGT is now worth 300k and the 16m 225 - regardless between me and my son the CGT was the wrong car.

Too low Too much to handle and most of all it's a t-shirt and ball cap car which really limits owners enjoyment.

#40 ·
Doug, congrats to getting a very significant Porsche!!!!! Well done! :thumbsup::steeringwheel: drive it, drive it drive it.....and tell us about. Driven it once...loved it!

#41 ·
Thanks Guys!

The F40 F50 have risen to levels that are out of sight - this scenario has started to take place on the CGT.

5 6 700k is the new norm for the best examples - finding a one owner well maintained low mileage no stories 05 was not an easy task.

The Carrera GT and the Ford GT are the new it cars for collectors. The 918 at a million dollars raised the awareness / value of the CGT.

I have always wanted one in this color combination :)

#44 ·
Thanks Nick - picked it up today and just returned.

I usually have my cars delivered - took the day off and pulled the trailer up to Chicago.

O M G was this car delivered right - experience of a lifetime.

Every original document was time wrapped it looked showroom 9.98 out of 10.

Few pictures from the pick up - will unload it tomorrow.

Russell - The 16M isn't going anywhere :)

Attachments

#47 ·
Thanks guys!

Unloaded the CGT this morning - wife was a good helper.

She really liked the Mclaren so this was not going to be an easy sell.

We jump in and go for a spin - very comfortable best seats I have ever sat in slow easy ride ... zzz ... so I drop her off very nice ride all is good.

It's now me and the mistress - remove the top slide into the perfect seats well done Porsche everything is right where it should be.

Clean simple elegant wonderful fit n finish pictures don't describe this car.

Entering a long on ramp - car is fast quick response direct connection feels a lot like the Challenge car but for the manual and lots more hp ... watching the diffuser rise ... love that!

Ok this car and I are now bonding things are going perfect. Needles are busy and it sounds phenomenal.

Next level find some windy roads - after about 5 minutes enough of that car and I need to get to know one another - backed it down and began soaking it all in.

The clutch - no issue whatsoever people who can't handle should sell it to someone who can - it's a race clutch no excuses needed.

CGT doesn't do the in your face raw dangerous look and that IMO is a big bonus.

Evertyhing underneath the skin screams race car - especially that 5.7 V10 at WOT.

It's truly a wolf in sheep's clothing - this is going to be a fun summer!

Jimmy Fabio - the CGT is a serious piece of equipment.

#49 ·
Doug, sounds like you have bonded beyond help ! :thumbsup:

No doubt that the CGT is one serious race machine with a sound to die for, far better than many out there. My knowledgable, good friend claims she has the F1 sound, a no nonsense road race car.

Congrats, and no doubt the car has found a befitting home that deserves respect and proper care. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.