F50 For Sale, needs a bit of TLC......... - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
F50 For Sale, needs a bit of TLC.........

Don't think this will polish out.

ZFFTG46A4S0104799 1995 FERRARI F50 Copart Cars

looks like the engine etc are ok, new CF tub likely needed though.
Boxer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Ferrari Life Posts: 86
I like the quote on the webpage

'Vehicles are sold AS IS with no warranty.'
Jemt is offline  
post #3 of 45 Old 10-14-2013, 03:56 AM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Don't think this will polish out.

ZFFTG46A4S0104799 1995 FERRARI F50 Copart Cars

looks like the engine etc are ok, new CF tub likely needed though.
This car is definitively a strong BUY for a F50 owner as a donor car IF the engine is o.k. and the several side and rear end Body parts are ok.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
 
post #4 of 45 Old 10-14-2013, 02:43 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Send it back to Italy.

And get them to make a road going version of GT.

Now we are talking.
yellowf50 is offline  
post #5 of 45 Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Owner
 
bretm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Jersey
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
It's only two hours away from me in Connecticut. But man, looking at the price list this is a staggering project. Ferrari seems to increase a parts price exponentially for anything made out of carbon fiber. Even simple things like brake ducts are $1-2k... To make it right, you'd be in for well over $200k in parts alone and then add in labor... Wow!

I'm curious to see how it turns out. The red FBI-wrecked/RufMD/stolen-from-Algar car sold for around $200k if I remember right. That car had much less damage than this one and had 1/10 the miles on it.
bretm is offline  
post #6 of 45 Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
It's only two hours away from me in Connecticut. But man, looking at the price list this is a staggering project. Ferrari seems to increase a parts price exponentially for anything made out of carbon fiber. Even simple things like brake ducts are $1-2k... To make it right, you'd be in for well over $200k in parts alone and then add in labor... Wow!

I'm curious to see how it turns out. The red FBI-wrecked/RufMD/stolen-from-Algar car sold for around $200k if I remember right. That car had much less damage than this one and had 1/10 the miles on it.
Much better F50 but went for a lot more than 200k - I was very interested and missed out.

Depending on what this one goes for it may still be a good deal.
champagne612 is online now  
post #7 of 45 Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Owner
 
bretm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Jersey
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Much better F50 but went for a lot more than 200k - I was very interested and missed out...
Good call. I just brushed up on the threads dating from back then and you're right - looks like that car went for somewhere between $350-400k (they posted the last bid on Copart at $200k, which is what I remembered). Big money for a lot of stories.

I think the current bubble in Ferrari values is going to put some upward pressure on this car here, but we'll see. It it still potentially a great deal, as you point out.
bretm is offline  
post #8 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Good call. I just brushed up on the threads dating from back then and you're right - looks like that car went for somewhere between $350-400k (they posted the last bid on Copart at $200k, which is what I remembered). Big money for a lot of stories.

I think the current bubble in Ferrari values is going to put some upward pressure on this car here, but we'll see. It it still potentially a great deal, as you point out.
The reason why the 200k was shown as last bid is because of the v2 bid system or whatever it is called which is like the simulcast version for other live auctions.

So prior to going live its under bidder ran it upto 200k before live bidding took place.
yellowf50 is offline  
post #9 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Looks to me like the black one will need a tub. It's hard hit right where the extension is for the front body frame attachment and the front suspension.

The old caretaker of the #1 GT1 car was a friend and I got a pretty good look at it after it's last accident. It was hit nowhere near as hard as this and it just missed damage to the tub in the same area. It also hit a flat surface pretty square so the impact was distributed over the entire front end.

Currently there is no price in my source for an F50 tub. That usually means they don't have any or a new contract run is in process and no one has dreamed up a new price yet.

They will be happy to make you one, the GT1 owner did just that once. When they MAKE you one it costs many pelts and furs. If price tags with lots of zeros bother you do not inquire.

Ferrari has never been shy about setting high prices for F50 specific parts. Every single piece for that repair will be a shocker.


Then, 2 years from now when all the parts are finally in hand and the car is repaired you will have the worlds highest mileage F50 with a well known bad history.

Sounds like a dream come true.

The insurance company did not write that one off lightly.

Problem with that car is there is such low demand for parting it out I doubt it has much value with that in mind. It probably will be rebuilt if for no other reason.

Last edited by Brian; 10-15-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Brian is offline  
post #10 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Master Mechanic
 
ECSofVirginia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
If I recall correctly, after the second tub order for the GT1 car, they were told there would be no more tubs made available...for them at least. That's got to be an unpleasant phone call to receive.


ECSofVirginia is offline  
post #11 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Looks to me like the black one will need a tub. It's hard hit right where the extension is for the front body frame attachment and the front suspension.

The old caretaker of the #1 GT1 car was a friend and I got a pretty good look at it after it's last accident. It was hit nowhere near as hard as this and it just missed damage to the tub in the same area. It also hit a flat surface pretty square so the impact was distributed over the entire front end.

Currently there is no price in my source for an F50 tub. That usually means they don't have any or a new contract run is in process and no one has dreamed up a new price yet.

They will be happy to make you one, the GT1 owner did just that once. When they MAKE you one it costs many pelts and furs. If price tags with lots of zeros bother you do not inquire.

Ferrari has never been shy about setting high prices for F50 specific parts. Every single piece for that repair will be a shocker.


Then, 2 years from now when all the parts are finally in hand and the car is repaired you will have the worlds highest mileage F50 with a well known bad history.

Sounds like a dream come true.

The insurance company did not write that one off lightly.

Problem with that car is there is such low demand for parting it out I doubt it has much value with that in mind. It probably will be rebuilt if for no other reason.
I share your arguments: Expensive fully repaired car with lots of miles afterwards. However even to bring it back to the road is still an option, but probably only for a insurance company. To me it would be a donor car exactly because of what you say. High prices of all body parts. As it looks to me (from pictures only) it would be possible to use all parts from the doors to the back including the engine and complete drivetrain.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
212Export is offline  
post #12 of 45 Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Owner
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Andorra La Vella
Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Looks to me like the black one will need a tub. It's hard hit right where the extension is for the front body frame attachment and the front suspension.

The old caretaker of the #1 GT1 car was a friend and I got a pretty good look at it after it's last accident. It was hit nowhere near as hard as this and it just missed damage to the tub in the same area. It also hit a flat surface pretty square so the impact was distributed over the entire front end.

Currently there is no price in my source for an F50 tub. That usually means they don't have any or a new contract run is in process and no one has dreamed up a new price yet.

They will be happy to make you one, the GT1 owner did just that once. When they MAKE you one it costs many pelts and furs. If price tags with lots of zeros bother you do not inquire.

Ferrari has never been shy about setting high prices for F50 specific parts. Every single piece for that repair will be a shocker.


Then, 2 years from now when all the parts are finally in hand and the car is repaired you will have the worlds highest mileage F50 with a well known bad history.

Sounds like a dream come true.

The insurance company did not write that one off lightly.

Problem with that car is there is such low demand for parting it out I doubt it has much value with that in mind. It probably will be rebuilt if for no other reason.
I agree with you 100%

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
Pablo is offline  
post #13 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Owner
 
bretm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Jersey
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I'm completely stumped as to who buys this car.

An Fcar dealer... It's a lot of money to tie up and if values soften a bit over the 2 years or so it takes to fix you could easily be caught with your pants down. Say you buy it for $150k + $150k in parts + potentially a new tub ($100-150k?) + labor.

A private buyer... how many folks have $300-500k kicking around, significant experience in Ferrari restoration / carbon fiber repair, and the desire to tie up all of that money in a multi-year project instead of buying a Scud, 458, and a 355 and hitting the back roads every weekend.

The story behind the FBI car was just too cool and the car was in good shape overall after that wreck. If whoever fixed it would have been more open about the repairs, they would have a pretty desireable car. This car here, not so much. It's black which limits resale as well. I know it can be repainted, but that's another expense, etc.
bretm is offline  
post #14 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 AM
Owner
 
porscheguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 79
Finally - a F50 I can afford.
porscheguy is offline  
post #15 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 AM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
If I recall correctly, after the second tub order for the GT1 car, they were told there would be no more tubs made available...for them at least. That's got to be an unpleasant phone call to receive.


They have only ever needed one replacement.

Not a message they ever got. I think I know what you are speaking of but like the story told around the camp fire it got pretty twisted.


Ferrari is perfectly happy to make anything any of the current GT1 owners need, they just want to insure there continues to be only 3 GT1's.
There was supposed to ever be only one, the two remaining tubs were spares but were not purchased so cars were assembled. Lots of long faces over that so Ferrari will not allow that to happen again.

Don't ever forget, Ferrari is about making money. They have no trouble taking six or seven figure checks.....over and over if you are willing to write them. After all, what is Challenge racing or the FXX program but creating a class of customer who will write you big checks over and over for the same thing.

Last edited by Brian; 10-16-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Brian is offline  
post #16 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Owner
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Andorra La Vella
Ferrari Life Posts: 815
I think this will just be one less F50 from the short list!

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
Pablo is offline  
post #17 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I think this will just be one less F50 from the short list!



Just had a phone call.


Not so sure about that.
Brian is offline  
post #18 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Just had a phone call.


Not so sure about that.



Hope if a resurrection
is suggested, it would NOT be a F50 but someone else’s idea of their dream.

Saw that FastNFurious series on a re-do of their concept F40. Glad they didn't try to create a F40 but a concept they wanted. after all your previous post states it all.

The Gas Monkey idiots actually started out believing they could put down $200 in a wrecked F40 and get $1mill back. idiots

however, more strange is someone bought that example for $800K

Yahoo!

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 10-17-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling corrections from galaxy post
Granucci is offline  
post #19 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Master Mechanic
 
ECSofVirginia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
They have only ever needed one replacement.

Not a message they ever got. I think I know what you are speaking of but like the story told around the camp fire it got pretty twisted.


Ferrari is perfectly happy to make anything any of the current GT1 owners need, they just want to insure there continues to be only 3 GT1's.
There was supposed to ever be only one, the two remaining tubs were spares but were not purchased so cars were assembled. Lots of long faces over that so Ferrari will not allow that to happen again.

Don't ever forget, Ferrari is about making money. They have no trouble taking six or seven figure checks.....over and over if you are willing to write them. After all, what is Challenge racing or the FXX program but creating a class of customer who will write you big checks over and over for the same thing.
That isn't a surprise.


ECSofVirginia is offline  
post #20 of 45 Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Owner
 
bretm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Jersey
Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I'd venture that the car will almost certainly be fixed. I'm not so sure that makes financial sense though, which means this would have to be a project of passion. There's nothing wrong with that and there are plenty of folks passionate about the F50 (myself included). But, one has to acknowledge that's the situation going in and that generally limits the car to private buyers looking to build an awesome driver. Quite frankly, that's probably the best situation so it'd be nice to see it play out like that instead of someone looking to do a dirty fix and flip like the FBI car seems to have gone through.

I also don't buy into the Gas Monkey F40 selling for $800k. That seems rather a shill to add publicity to the show and allow the original financier (who bought it in the end) to pound his chest a bit.
bretm is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale