F40 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
F40

Just a quick question...........................0pinions please.....

I am seriously thinking about an F40 purchase. The car would be a non adjust car bought in the UK, with around 10 - 15k miles. I have never owned or even driven a 40 , but have a major itch that needs sorting. I have put it off for years, but now is the time. I would probably drive 2 - 3 k miles a year.

I currently drive a Scud, (owned most V8 F cars over the past 25yrs) which I will sell.
Will the 40 feel scary or slow after the Scud ? Apart from routine maintenance, what sort of budget should I allow for the unforeseen. Is a sorted car reliable, and did it / does it live up to expectation. I also run a Dino, so am used to the foibles of older cars (but small cars !!). Has anyone bought one having only driven one for the first time when buying it, and if so do you really get on with it. Did anyone buy one then not like it ? Was it what you imagined ?
I do like extreme cars, so I would expect to love it. I also wonder what they are like to get out of when one wishes to sell.
Any thoughts appreciated, I am in a real dilemma, it's a shed load of hard earned money as well , so I don't want to mess up (plus my wife wants me to keep the Scud !)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudlow View Post
Just a quick question...........................0pinions please.....

I am seriously thinking about an F40 purchase. The car would be a non adjust car bought in the UK, with around 10 - 15k miles. I have never owned or even driven a 40 , but have a major itch that needs sorting. I have put it off for years, but now is the time. I would probably drive 2 - 3 k miles a year.

I currently drive a Scud, (owned most V8 F cars over the past 25yrs) which I will sell.
Will the 40 feel scary or slow after the Scud ? Apart from routine maintenance, what sort of budget should I allow for the unforeseen. Is a sorted car reliable, and did it / does it live up to expectation. I also run a Dino, so am used to the foibles of older cars (but small cars !!). Has anyone bought one having only driven one for the first time when buying it, and if so do you really get on with it. Did anyone buy one then not like it ? Was it what you imagined ?
I do like extreme cars, so I would expect to love it. I also wonder what they are like to get out of when one wishes to sell.
Any thoughts appreciated, I am in a real dilemma, it's a shed load of hard earned money as well , so I don't want to mess up (plus my wife wants me to keep the Scud !)

Thanks.
-Costs are very reasonable.
-A sorted car should be more than reliable.
-You will bond easily with it if taking very care in the beginning.
-I bought one with the expectation of a great experience...it was even better than that and more that I imagined.
-The money argument is (in absolut terms) a important argument. However, personally, I tend to believe the money Long term is better invested in a F40 than, say, in a Scud (money protection wise) although one must admit that prices have risen strongly already.
-Scud is a great car, but F40 awakes even more senses.
-Only sold mine to switch to the "right" F50.

Go for it !:steeringwheel :

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #3 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
-Costs are very reasonable.
-A sorted car should be more than reliable.
-You will bond easily with it if taking very care in the beginning.
-I bought one with the expectation of a great experience...it was even better than that and more that I imagined.
-The money argument is (in absolut terms) a important argument. However, personally, I tend to believe the money Long term is better invested in a F40 than, say, in a Scud (money protection wise) although one must admit that prices have risen strongly already.
-Scud is a great car, but F40 awakes even more senses.
-Only sold mine to switch to the "right" F50.

Go for it !:steeringwheel :
Thanks for the input.

I think that it is a case of do it now, or regret not doing it later. Time waits for no man.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I think that it is a case of do it now, or regret not doing it later. Time waits for no man.
I do not know what later (future) will be. But to me it seems that the rising F40 prices are partially indicating a "intrinsic" value in the fact, that the F40 is not a "Play Station" Ferrari. That characterisation is mostly lost in today's cars.
The F40 serves THE great experience to drive a purely mechanical lightweight car with the possibility to unfire a bomb if needed.

I agree that if you are thinking about and able to afford one, if you are healthy and happy NOW you should probably go for it. Prices may rise or fall strongly in between but long term that is probably of minor importance. Just my 2c.

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

Last edited by 212Export; 06-19-2013 at 07:33 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Have you made a decision?
post #6 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Have you made a decision?
I have looked at lots of 40's over the past couple of months. Condition wise there are huge variations with quite a few leaning towards scruffy. Cosmetically they appear to me to not wear very well if they have a number of miles on the clock.
What has been a little more enlightening is that there are so many cars available at any one time - clearly the fact that there were circa 1400 units built makes a difference compared to the other limited edition F cars. To put it into perspective there were less Dino GTS's built, with quite a few not making it through to the present day, yet they are not considered a rare car by many. I have to question just how easy it would be for me to sell an F40 which has been used without a lot of thought to keeping the miles low.
After speaking to several owners who have owned/ driven the 40 and the 50 it would seem that the 50 may offer a better owner experience, and it is that route that I am now going down.

If anyone has a nice F50 they are thinking of selling........ please PM me.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Owner

Quote:
I have looked at lots of 40's over the past couple of months. Condition wise there are huge variations with quite a few leaning towards scruffy. Cosmetically they appear to me to not wear very well if they have a number of miles on the clock.
What has been a little more enlightening is that there are so many cars available at any one time - clearly the fact that there were circa 1400 units built makes a difference compared to the other limited edition F cars. To put it into perspective there were less Dino GTS's built, with quite a few not making it through to the present day, yet they are not considered a rare car by many. I have to question just how easy it would be for me to sell an F40 which has been used without a lot of thought to keeping the miles low.
After speaking to several owners who have owned/ driven the 40 and the 50 it would seem that the 50 may offer a better owner experience, and it is that route that I am now going down.

If anyone has a nice F50 they are thinking of selling........ please PM me.
Maybe i missed something but anyway: have you ever driven a f40 and a f50? Why the sudden change to a f50? Why you give up on a f40, there are many out there, yes, but also excellent ones! What is your Main reasons to go for a special Series car? Driving enjoyment? Price stability? Else?

post #8 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
I also missed something!!! I was reading and the F40 sounds great! I for one , would not change mine for anything! Yes , the F50 is awsome , but so is the F40. Also keep in mind that for the F50 you have to budget aprox. €300,000 more.

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Maybe i missed something but anyway: have you ever driven a f40 and a f50? Why the sudden change to a f50? Why you give up on a f40, there are many out there, yes, but also excellent ones! What is your Main reasons to go for a special Series car? Driving enjoyment? Price stability? Else?
I have not given up on an F40, but without the benefit of driving both models (test drive - dream on !) I have to get impressions from other owners.
Price stability is also a major factor for me and I suspect that a car with so few built (F50) will be more stable than the 40.
As for driving enjoyment I love huge torque, and the 50 will deliver. I also like open cars on sunny days.
When I started looking for a 40 it was stretching my budget, now I just think sod it - you only live once, if you really want a 50 don't compromise.
Given the funds I would love both.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Owner

Well ,the F50 is a great car so you would not go wrong with that choice. And if you can keep stretching i can also tell you that the Enzo will give you goose bumps!

post #11 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Well ,the F50 is a great car so you would not go wrong with that choice. And if you can keep stretching i can also tell you that the Enzo will give you goose bumps!

Pablo, if you could only own one car, either an Enzo or an F50, which would you choose ? Which gives you most driving pleasure in all conditions ?
post #12 of 19 Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Owner

Quote:
I have not given up on an F40, but without the benefit of driving both models (test drive - dream on !) I have to get impressions from other owners.
Price stability is also a major factor for me and I suspect that a car with so few built (F50) will be more stable than the 40.
As for driving enjoyment I love huge torque, and the 50 will deliver. I also like open cars on sunny days.
When I started looking for a 40 it was stretching my budget, now I just think sod it - you only live once, if you really want a 50 don't compromise.
Given the funds I would love both.
Torque explosion experience is more impressive with the F40. Open Roof experience clearly F50. Price stability in respect to rarity F50 however the F40 is generally "more in demand" as the "poster car" of generations, that may balance the price stability factor out for the time being. Just my 2 Cents.

post #13 of 19 Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
What price are you looking at for an F40 Dudlow?
post #14 of 19 Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Owner

Quote:
Pablo, if you could only own one car, either an Enzo or an F50, which would you choose ? Which gives you most driving pleasure in all conditions ?
Difficult to answer!
I have not consider parting from any of them. I agree that torque explosive experience you will get from the F40 plus you will feel like driving a racing car.also very nice looks! The open roof experience clearly is on the F50 with a beautiful sound after 5,000 rpms. It is more confortable to drive! Very nice looks! Awsome lines! Enzo is the feeling of lots of speed , sharp responce , and superrr control of the vehicle. Sounds are beyond and the looks are exceptional. Camaras will not stop flashing. It can be anoying but will have to live with it.
Dudlow , coming back to your question.....i have to sleep on it. You have asked me a very tough one. Let me think some more and i will try to answer as truthful as possible!

post #15 of 19 Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 76
Congratulations on your dilemma!
Have about 50k miles' (track and road ) experience with 1990 F-40 obtained in 1993. Horsepower in American version over 500 (?) but huge torque in lighter package, even though the thing feels as if should weigh 3 tons as it feels so glued to the pavement. Tall gears (speedo reading maybe 103mph at redline in 2nd gear) and only 5 speeds. Easy to break loose the rear tires at boost in 2nd (50mph) and 3rd gears (90mph) on hard acceleration around 4000rpm. Still feel acceleration above 180 before hitting brakes at Road America. Need more skill and courage than moi to drive aggressively in rain; no experience in snow.
Spartan interior (more luxury in the F-50's I have seen) not conducive to wife in dress/heels going out socially but she cracked 150 on track in helmet and suit.
Voted car most wanted to drive home per people's choice at local dealer concours a week ago but no F-50 present.
Only F-50 near-experience is with topless/doorless big rearwing 4L version.
Just trying to give you some thoughts but definitely would defer to BOXER, PABLO, and 212EXPORT for best comparison of F-40 vs F-50 ownership.
Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Dan H
post #16 of 19 Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Harrison View Post
Congratulations on your dilemma!
Have about 50k miles' (track and road ) experience with 1990 F-40 obtained in 1993. Horsepower in American version over 500 (?) but huge torque in lighter package, even though the thing feels as if should weigh 3 tons as it feels so glued to the pavement. Tall gears (speedo reading maybe 103mph at redline in 2nd gear) and only 5 speeds. Easy to break loose the rear tires at boost in 2nd (50mph) and 3rd gears (90mph) on hard acceleration around 4000rpm. Still feel acceleration above 180 before hitting brakes at Road America. Need more skill and courage than moi to drive aggressively in rain; no experience in snow.
Spartan interior (more luxury in the F-50's I have seen) not conducive to wife in dress/heels going out socially but she cracked 150 on track in helmet and suit.
Voted car most wanted to drive home per people's choice at local dealer concours a week ago but no F-50 present.
Only F-50 near-experience is with topless/doorless big rearwing 4L version.
Just trying to give you some thoughts but definitely would defer to BOXER, PABLO, and 212EXPORT for best comparison of F-40 vs F-50 ownership.
Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Dan H
Thanks for your input Dan.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBeeston View Post
What price are you looking at for an F40 Dudlow?
Jamie, I have noticed your F40 on PH.
If I go down the 40 route I will contact you, but currently the 50 is more on my radar.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Owner

Dudlow , after driven them today i have a desicion! By a nose the F50 would be the one to stay in the stable. But it would leave my heart broken!
Any way , i think that if you have the budget and get the rare opportunity to find a nice one , then you should go for it! You will enjoy it a lot! Good luck in the hunt as this is also part of the fun!

post #19 of 19 Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Quote:
Jamie, I have noticed your F40 on PH.
If I go down the 40 route I will contact you, but currently the 50 is more on my radar.
50's are great cars..
I think I'm withdrawing my 40 now anyway.. I was selling it cheaper as I had some businesses I needed to buy, but I've secured them now so expect I'll keep the car until next summer as I fully expect prices to continue to rise and it costs me nothing to hold.

Best of luck with your search though.. I've always fancied a 50 myself (hence buying f50.co.uk a few years back for email!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode