High miles F40 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 28
High miles F40

A little advice required please.

I am looking for an F40, and have been looking at a German car with over 47k miles. The car has been well maintained and regularly used. Price wise it is about 20% less than a car with 25k miles.

If and when I come to sell it, with over 55k miles say, given that the percentage price differential remains, are there buyers for such high miles cars, or would it be really hard to sell ?

Also, assuming good, regular maintainance, are there any major worries with high road miles.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,146
A collector wouldn't probably care about the mileage as long as it's in one piece and can do one or two special runs to gatherings etc.

Other than that, the ones that intend to drive it will probably prefer lower mileage ones. I don't think I've ever seen/heard a high milage f40 before, this would be the first!

My Flickr Account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Take pictures for fun
post #3 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
212 Export owned a higher mileage F40. Suggest you PM him for advice. It was an excellent car.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudlow View Post
A little advice required please.

I am looking for an F40, and have been looking at a German car with over 47k miles. The car has been well maintained and regularly used. Price wise it is about 20% less than a car with 25k miles.

If and when I come to sell it, with over 55k miles say, given that the percentage price differential remains, are there buyers for such high miles cars, or would it be really hard to sell ?

Also, assuming good, regular maintainance, are there any major worries with high road miles.

Thanks.
As Boxer suggested, my experience with a high mile F40 was splendid. I always would prefer a 20% discount (thats a lot of difference in absolute terms these days) for a higher mileage car in same condition as a low mileage one (low mileage = app. 20K), especially when mainly driving and driving experience will be on your mind (as was in my case).
My rational was this: 20% discounts equals theoretically a full engine, gearbox, axle restoration. Lets assume you buy it with 40' miles and sell it with 100' miles and redo the engine. You have driven the F40 about 10 times the distance of a average F40 owner and you finally will/should be financially not far off from average offers with everything done. Plus if you decide NOT to sell, then you have a car ready to go for another 60' miles
Oh and you will be a F40 expert ......

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #5 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
As Boxer suggested, my experience with a high mile F40 was splendid. I always would prefer a 20% discount (thats a lot of difference in absolute terms these days) for a higher mileage car in same condition as a low mileage one (low mileage = app. 20K), especially when mainly driving and driving experience will be on your mind (as was in my case).
My rational was this: 20% discounts equals theoretically a full engine, gearbox, axle restoration. Lets assume you buy it with 40' miles and sell it with 100' miles and redo the engine. You have driven the F40 about 10 times the distance of a average F40 owner and you finally will/should be financially not far off from average offers with everything done. Plus if you decide NOT to sell, then you have a car ready to go for another 60' miles
You think an F40 will go all the way to 100k miles?

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

One other point is early F40s are now 25 years old and nearing an age that mileage will start to matter less and less. What will be important is condition and how the car has been treated over its lifespan.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Do any of you guys currently own high milage examples, and if so, apart from routine stuff have you had any major unexpected issues.
Do the turbos have a life span, or can they fail at any time. Are there tell tale signs with the turbos to look for when inspecting a car ?
Thanks.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Do any of you guys currently own high milage examples, and if so, apart from routine stuff have you had any major unexpected issues.
Do the turbos have a life span, or can they fail at any time. Are there tell tale signs with the turbos to look for when inspecting a car ?
Thanks.
The Turbos will need to be rebuilt at some point. Mine where done 2 years ago. It is not a big deal in terms of either time or cost. Look for leaks and/or loss of power to see if they are on the way out.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Why not?

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #10 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Owner

[QUOTE=Dudlow;240793]Do any of you guys currently own high milage examples, and if so, apart from routine stuff have you had any major unexpected issues.
Thanks.[/

No issues.

post #11 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I have now found out that the car had a new clutch in 2010, along with discs and pads all round (10k km ago). At the same time it had a problem with one of the turbo's. Aparently Ferrari have changed/upgraded the turbo's, and the originals are no longer available (so I am told). As a result a pair of the latest factory turbo's were fitted. It also had the fuel cells done at the time, but ATL's were fitted, and as I understand it they have a life of five years (with the option to refurb for a further two years ?. While the rear end was apart the suspension bushes were done.
The car has been well used, but well looked after, and is starting to grow on me. My reluctance to move forward on this is waning a bit, but I am still finding it hard to justify the possible purchase. Something would have to go from the garage. Also, quite incredibly I have never been in an F40 while it is moving , let alone driven one. All I hear about is it will try to kill you !! Will I be disapointed, is the chase better than the catch.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Here's proof that 98088kms is possible (and I took the picture in 2005 so I suspect this car has gone a bit further since then).

Jonathan
Attached Images

post #13 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
This is the best news i have heard.
I am so happy!!! I will be getting lots of enjoyment then!
I so far only have 15,000

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

I saw one F40 down in Italy back in 2006 that had well over 120k km on the odometer. It was a beautiful car that ran superbly.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I have now found out that the car had a new clutch in 2010, along with discs and pads all round (10k km ago). At the same time it had a problem with one of the turbo's. Aparently Ferrari have changed/upgraded the turbo's, and the originals are no longer available (so I am told). As a result a pair of the latest factory turbo's were fitted. It also had the fuel cells done at the time, but ATL's were fitted, and as I understand it they have a life of five years (with the option to refurb for a further two years ?. While the rear end was apart the suspension bushes were done.
The car has been well used, but well looked after, and is starting to grow on me. My reluctance to move forward on this is waning a bit, but I am still finding it hard to justify the possible purchase. Something would have to go from the garage. Also, quite incredibly I have never been in an F40 while it is moving , let alone driven one. All I hear about is it will try to kill you !! Will I be disapointed, is the chase better than the catch.
The only negative I can see is the ATL bags. I would find out why proper Ferrari sourced bags were not used.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The only negative I can see is the ATL bags. I would find out why proper Ferrari sourced bags were not used.

Because ATL is half price. As far as i can remember, after pressurasing the whole fuelsystem, they get 2 jears more. But maybe this is for FIA or similar.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Owner

Quote:

Dudlow, the F40 will not try to kill you....instead it will try to convince you ...and rightfully so.....go drive it....and you will save many words......!

post #18 of 18 Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1076 View Post
Because ATL is half price. As far as i can remember, after pressurasing the whole fuelsystem, they get 2 jears more. But maybe this is for FIA or similar.
Half the price but they only last half the time. Then you have 2x the labour charges for installing the tanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode