F50 - a wonderful thing - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
F50 - a wonderful thing

Well Day 1 of FLEE is going well for the Irish contingent.

Where else do you find a true gentleman, an absolute Ferrari nut, and a great friend willing to throw you the keys of his F50? Where else but in beautiful Switzerland.

Another bucket list box ticked today!

The sun came out, the roads dried up. What an utterly awesome machine. Redefines my appreciation of all things Ferrari.

My eternal thanks to 212Export.
Attached Images

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Actually I should elaborate on the driving experience...

Up to now I have been lucky enough to have driven a number of different Ferrari tipos over the years, mostly through the generosity of many Ferrari Life friends, both modern and classic models from 360 to 458 and 550 to 612 to classics such as 308s and Daytona.

Today's F50 experience is one that I find difficult to compare to any of these other experiences. After the dispelling the initial feelings of trepidation that come naturally when you drive somebody else's Ferrari (especially an F50) the driver's seat of a Ferrari F50 is a wonderful place to be. The feeling of 'connection' between driver and car is simply at a level that I have not experienced before. Perfectly weighted and precise steering, coupled with zero body roll makes for the most exciting cornering, even at relatively modest speeds.

However what struck me as most different from any other previous Ferrari experience was the sense that you are simply bolted to the engine and at one with the chassis. I'm sure this is directly related to the carbon tub, though I don't possess the necessary technical knowledge to speak in any informed way about it. All I can do is give a seat of the pants report, and from that perspective the F50 is simply awesome on all fronts. The power is immense, and very linear, in every gear it simply pulls and pulls and pulls. Grip is immense, though on the occasional damp patch under trees, I did briefly consider that it would be easy to switch ends very quickly. Steering is perfectly weighted and for a car that is rather large it doesn't feel too over-bearing on the road (which is quite a statement as the steering wheel was in the wrong place and I was driving on the wrong side of the road ).

As a total experience, I must admit it has eclipsed that of any Ferrari drive yet (if you only focus on the machine and not the route, scenery, location, convoy, etc). My pinnacle to date on the 'machine only' criteria was the drive in the 458, but the F50 experience seems all the better but for very different reasons. What's definite is that it is a far more sensory, physical and analog experience. Which is not to say one is better than the other, that is for personal opinion only.

In summary, it was fast, intense, physical, but never too intimidating (thanks in no small part to my excellent co-pilot!) and I never felt that I was having to 'tame' the car. From the first couple of km I felt at one with the machine. Perhaps it would be a different story closer to the limits, but within my comfort zone, it was a simply wonderful experience. A magnificent, legendary car on wonderful roads and in excellent company. A day not to forget.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Barry, Glad you enjoyed the drive. You are right, as the pilot, you are basically strapped right to the engine.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Wonderful that you got to drive the legendary F50 Barry! Great write up, looking forward to hearing about it in person over a few glasses of Amarone on Friday!

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #5 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Great write-up, Barry! Glad that you have the occasion to drive the F-50... I am full of envy..
Too bad I had to cancel my participation this weekend, really missing a great time again with you guys!

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #6 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The group is growing and we have now arrived in Modena.

Most of the journey down I spent behind the wheel of a Porsche 928S today. Another new driving experience.

post #7 of 23 Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Hi Barry, that's what life is all about. Sounds like great craic!! I must sign up to one of those trips some day.

Cheers
Michael
post #8 of 23 Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
The group is growing and we have now arrived in Modena.

Most of the journey down I spent behind the wheel of a Porsche 928S today. Another new driving experience.
A new 212Export acquisition?
post #9 of 23 Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
A new 212Export acquisition?
No, owned by a friend of 212 who has joined us in our trip.

post #10 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Happyness in Switzerland....thats how I call this day so far. Great, blue sky, about 14 degrees celsius. First in the morning a short "D" drive to my mechanic to change the distributer heads, while he is at work back home to warm up "F", engines starts and runs right away smoothly, a easy warm up drive and then a hard core stint for 40 km's with rpm's between 4-8'000. Oh how beautiful that linear, endless acceleration feels...with open top an additional cookie...! Back to the garage, a short clean up...back to the mechanic, takeover off the very smoothly at idle running, ready "D". Leather and a small note of gazoline smell, thats the ingredient which my nose sensors realize when slowly driving on. Engine is already warm, so right up to 3' rpm's listening to the singing of the song. The wooden steering wheel asks for slightly more force to grip it but otherwise smooth as silk. Some pushes up to 4.5' rpm's, what a song. 30 km's and back to the garage. Again a small clean up to make her ready for the next drive in a "do not know when" and "how about snow and salt" questionning situation I would guess.

In the meantime my wife is warming up her first "I'm totally in love" car, the 3.2 Carrera '89. We plan to go to the Jazz Club. Lately she came down from the sleeping room to tell me "you know, I dreamed this night a wonderful dream about my Porsche...."?! Well obviously and finally she's been bitten by the virus we all share...I guess !

Happy miles and enjoyments driving wise to all of you out there !

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #11 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Happyness in Switzerland....thats how I call this day so far. Great, blue sky, about 14 degrees celsius. First in the morning a short "D" drive to my mechanic to change the distributer heads, while he is at work back home to warm up "F", engines starts and runs right away smoothly, a easy warm up drive and then a hard core stint for 40 km's with rpm's between 4-8'000. Oh how beautiful that linear, endless acceleration feels...with open top an additional cookie...! Back to the garage, a short clean up...back to the mechanic, takeover off the very smoothly at idle running, ready "D". Leather and a small note of gazoline smell, thats the ingredient which my nose sensors realize when slowly driving on. Engine is already warm, so right up to 3' rpm's listening to the singing of the song. The wooden steering wheel asks for slightly more force to grip it but otherwise smooth as silk. Some pushes up to 4.5' rpm's, what a song. 30 km's and back to the garage. Again a small clean up to make her ready for the next drive in a "do not know when" and "how about snow and salt" questionning situation I would guess.

In the meantime my wife is warming up her first "I'm totally in love" car, the 3.2 Carrera '89. We plan to go to the Jazz Club. Lately she came down from the sleeping room to tell me "you know, I dreamed this night a wonderful dream about my Porsche...."?! Well obviously and finally she's been bitten by the virus we all share...I guess !

Great way to spend the day. Drove mine 20 feet today. Backed it out of the garage for a bath and vacuuming.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- You probably posted this before, but you must have an early plexi car. My 14009 plexi already had a leather steering wheel. What is your Daytona's serial number?

Boxer- Does yours have a leather or wood steering wheel?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:

What the weekend was made for

post #14 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- You probably posted this before, but you must have an early plexi car. My 14009 plexi already had a leather steering wheel. What is your Daytona's serial number?

Leather. Never seen a F50 with a wood steering wheel.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Owner

Quote:

Terry, "D"'s serial is 15671, and was Derek Bells first Ferrari. I have the original leather steering wheel but an wooden one as well (as a gift from my dealer when I bought it). I change it from time to time and actually kind of like the wooden one a little more. Maybe a resemblence to the older F-cars I used to own ?!

Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #16 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Leather. Never seen a F50 with a wood steering wheel.
I would assume Terry talks about your previous Daytona ownership ?!

post #17 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I would assume Terry talks about your previous Daytona ownership ?!
That one was also leather.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Owner
Elite Member

212, Boxer- Affirmative, the earlier Daytona. That explains the wooden steering wheel, thanks.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
212, Boxer- Affirmative, the earlier Daytona. That explains the wooden steering wheel, thanks.
One of the last pictures of my old Daytona:
Attached Images

post #20 of 23 Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Boxer- I never got any photos of the interior of my old Daytona, but the steering wheel had the drilled lightening holes.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode