Thinking about an F40 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Thinking about an F40

I am new to this forum and want to thank you for the very informative discussions. I have had a number of late model exotic cars but am starting to think about moving to a collector level car. I am considering the F40 (USA) and have a number of newbie questions.

I am not interested in a time capsule car but one that I can drive about 1-2K miles a year. Are prices sensitive to miles above 10K miles? Is there a signficant drop in price for cars over 20K miles? What are real prices for good condition cars in this mileage range?

Do you think future appreciation will ever keep up with the cost of maintenance, additional mileage, registration fees, insurance etc?

Any ideas on sourcing one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore View Post
I am new to this forum and want to thank you for the very informative discussions. I have had a number of late model exotic cars but am starting to think about moving to a collector level car. I am considering the F40 (USA) and have a number of newbie questions.

I am not interested in a time capsule car but one that I can drive about 1-2K miles a year. Are prices sensitive to miles above 10K miles? Is there a signficant drop in price for cars over 20K miles? What are real prices for good condition cars in this mileage range?

Do you think future appreciation will ever keep up with the cost of maintenance, additional mileage, registration fees, insurance etc?

Any ideas on sourcing one?
Welcome!!!!!! I hope for starters that you change your mind and decide to drive the F40 more than the 2K a year. And do not worry so much on the appreciation aspects of this cars and concentrate more on the enjoyment of them!

Here at this forum you will find excellent advisors on the technical issues!

And last but not least .......... Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
If you are looking for a car to drive, they I would not pay a huge premium for a low mileage car that you can only polish without destroying its perceived value.

Suggest you read: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/su...ing-guide.html

post #4 of 25 Old 09-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

If you are looking for a car to drive, they I would not pay a huge premium for a low mileage car that you can only polish without destroying its perceived value.

Suggest you read: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/su...ing-guide.html

Mike Sheehan at Ferraris-online.com is a good source for finding an F40.

Also you might want ot consider sourcng an early F40 from Europe. The early ones are now 25 years old so exempt from DOT/EPA regulations.
post #5 of 25 Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Best of luck.

I will consider one next summer / fall - prefer bringing one over unless the GTO 599 tanks in the US.

Keep us posted on your search - no way to predict what will happen on value.

The F40 is raw - would imagine that will continue to have a strong appeal down the road.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:

of course it depends on the acquisition price and the repairs needed, but i believe history proves the value will keep up, and surpass those costs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 25 Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. I had read your very helpful F40 Buyer's Guide Boxer and will be using it for diligence and PPI.

There was a sub 1000 mile F40 that hammered at $650k at RM recently.
Motorcars has a car with 7100 miles listed for $599K that has been on the market since early this year.
There is a 6300 mile car listed for $539K in PA at Professional Auto Exchange (not familar with this dealer).
Any insights on either of these?
A number of 7 to 12K mile cars sold in 2009/ 2010 in the low to mid 400s.

What is happening with exotic car prices in Europe?
Italy's Austerity Leads to Ferrari Sell-Off - Businessweek
post #8 of 25 Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
What is happening with exotic car prices in Europe?
Italy's Austerity Leads to Ferrari Sell-Off - Businessweek
In Italy, it has to do with new taxes on cars. Basically it has destroyed the Ferrari market and most cars are now being exported into other European markets.

Price of a good F40 in the UK is Ģ300-350K so you will save a bit buying over here still.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Boxer - what are good dealers to keep an eye on? Can the fuels cells in European F40s be replaced with US versions which don't need to be replaced? What is the cost of doing that?
post #10 of 25 Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Boxer - what are good dealers to keep an eye on? Can the fuels cells in European F40s be replaced with US versions which don't need to be replaced? What is the cost of doing that?
The fuel cells can be replaced with aluminum tanks on the Euro F40s. I believe the cost is about the same as replacing the fuel cells. In case of a accident though, the fuel cells are safer.

One dealer I would recommend contacting is Niki Hasler in Switzerland. He is an official dealer with an impressive selection of vintage and classic Ferraris.
post #11 of 25 Old 09-05-2012, 04:02 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
The fuel cells can be replaced with aluminum tanks on the Euro F40s. I believe the cost is about the same as replacing the fuel cells. In case of a accident though, the fuel cells are safer.

One dealer I would recommend contacting is Niki Hasler in Switzerland. He is an official dealer with an impressive selection of vintage and classic Ferraris.
Boxer , canīt they just be replace with the plastic looking ones?

post #12 of 25 Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Boxer , canīt they just be replace with the plastic looking ones?
I would not recommend it.
post #13 of 25 Old 09-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Owner

Quote:
I would not recommend it.
Why ? They are the originals!
Explain a little...

post #14 of 25 Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Why ? They are the originals!
Explain a little...
Originals are the bag tanks and in any sort of accident they are safer than any "hard" material tank.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originals are the bag tanks and in any sort of accident they are safer than any "hard" material tank.
I agree , the bag tanks in an accident will be safer and they are the originals so i do not understand why you mention aluminum tanks as a better option????

post #16 of 25 Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I agree , the bag tanks in an accident will be safer and they are the originals so i do not understand why you mention aluminum tanks as a better option????
My recommendation has always been to stay with the bag tanks.
post #17 of 25 Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
My recommendation has always been to stay with the bag tanks.
Sorry Boxer , i must have misread you on the post.

post #18 of 25 Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

US cars had the hard tanks which don't need to be replaced. I didn't know though that the fuel cells were safer. Thanks!

Were there US F40s from 1987 to 1992? I have only seen 1991 and 1992 cars.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
US cars had the hard tanks which don't need to be replaced. I didn't know though that the fuel cells were safer. Thanks!

Were there US F40s from 1987 to 1992? I have only seen 1991 and 1992 cars.
Sorry, not an expert on US F40s. To the best of my knowledge US cars all had aluminum or steel tanks, fixed suspension, & wider lip bumpers. They may have also had different seats. The Euro cars are also lighter.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Tricolore, I hope you don't mind me asking a question on here, as they're relevant to the topic.

I've had a conversation with an older, local car-collecting gentleman on the suitability of an F40 for a (barely) under-thirty. Logistics aside, the conversation was quite philosophical. He suggested the following. Would love to hear your thoughts on them:

His main consideration was my relatively younger age in terms of 'mood'. I was two when the car was released. He said that cars outside of one's driving era will have a strong emotional appeal, but not as it would to people who were driving at the time of release. He said it'll speak to us both, but to him, it's a reminder of an era, days spent, and memories of being. He would have more congruence with it that I would.

He suggested that the the ability and dynamics of current cars would be a more immediate route to automotive enjoyment than acquiring an appreciation of cars from an earlier era. He continued to say that the F40's twin turbos provide straight-line thrills like no other, and over time I'd learn to master keeping the back tires planted during boost, but the dynamics agility of modern sports cars I would find more complete, engaging, and teaching. Concluded by saying that it's a great car, but shouldn't be the priority for someone outside the era at my age in respect to the comparable current choice(s) and potential track-time. The same would apply to any earlier era car, and not just the F40.

Opinions?

Last edited by Ramy; 09-21-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode