F50 - 3'000km report - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
F50 - 3'000km report

I took my wife for a 300km F 50 drive today and we enjoyed sunny hot weather on our trip over 2 passes in Switzerland. When returning home 2 hours ago, I realized that I have driven my F50 since purchasing it, now for over 3'000 km's. By now I have become probably a little more competent to report about the type, apart from the initial and still remaining euphoria. But again, of course, the written lines below represent only my 2 modest cents.

The drive over the passes once again "cemented" my understanding that the road holding qualities, (build up by the push rod suspension setup, carbon tube technology and directly mounted steel engine block) are as perfect as it may get for a normal street usable sports car (without any electric aids or ABS on board). There is no recognizable body roll, no question how hard you throw the car around the hairpins of a pass road. And the F50 is light, very light.

The steering (wheel) is clear, sharp and direct to the point you hold it. The gear stick is short, quick and exact and feels well ergonomically for me in my hands. Pedals are perfect, 2 pedals work on downshifting works very well.

The car is a rocket when treated between 5' and 8' rpm's. My wife could not stand it more than twice, after that (only on today's tour, her first as a co driver for a longer trip) I had to cut down in a major way to not risk having her lawyer at my door. She used to sit in the F40 as well. Difference is that after blasting with the F40 nearing a curve you brake harder as the curve speed in the F40 is much lower than with the F50. With the F50 you approach any corner faster with much more secureness (thats maybe dangerous).

Brakes are from '95....that said, they are o.k. but not nearly comparible to todays Scud's and 458 CC brakes.

Since purchasing the F50, I drove it only with open top and this let me realize 2 relatively minor downsides of this car:
Firstly, when bright summer light is entering the whole cabin, the gauges-LCD display is hardly readable.
Secondly, the (MID-) engine air flows up and out of the engine bay thru the (Perspex?) plastic grill in the back behind the seats. The airturbulences channel the warm/hot engine air directly back into the open cabin area (when driving with open top). Well in winter, spring and autum, that is fantastic as you do not need any heater, even at temperature around 5-10 degrees. However on a day like today's almost 30 degrees celsius, the really good working air conditioning is hardly able to "counter-cool" that open turbulence hot air fact. For me, that was never a problem as I like to drive in a bed of hot air. However thanks to my lovely wife, which had experienced many "convertible" cars in the past said that she felt that the "real" convertible feeling was a little muted because of that and also because of the fact, that the more modern cars (because of safety reasons?) tend to have a "bulk" shape behind the passengers head which does not translates to the convertible "feeling" of the old 50/60/70 cars. (Is she a 275 GTS candidate?)

Apart from the "listening" too often to F50's internals and trying to find some "unknown" noises and the fact that the air conditioner lost probably 10 drops of water while running on max. power for 3 hours in a row (the drops dropped on my wifes naked passenger legs in the cabin, otherwise we would probably not have found out) the car runs and behaves beautifully.

For the 3'000km's I hardly used half a littre of oil, however the gazoline consumption does not look that optimistic. The F50 is a dirsty beast when driven hard, much more than i.e. the F40.

The car was in service for an oil change, and check of everything and the change for all 4 tyres. The tyres are a very important part of the roadholding equation of this car and I strongly recommend to drive it on soft, new tyres to find out about the potential of this beautiful machine.

Finally, driving the F50 is more tyring than i.e. the F40 and of course "D". "D" with its front engine layout (as the 456/550/575/599/F12 (I guess)) really stays as my continent crossing machine. However continent crossing is/would be no problem at all with the F50...but with the right co-passenger !

Last edited by 212Export; 08-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great write up. And wonderful to hear that you have put 3,000 km on the F50. That alone is just great to read. These cars were made for those roads, and you are evidently making the most of your ownership.

If you are looking for a more compliant passenger, PM me any time

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Great write up. And wonderful to hear that you have put 3,000 km on the F50. That alone is just great to read. These cars were made for those roads, and you are evidently making the most of your ownership.

If you are looking for a more compliant passenger, PM me any time
Do you mean your wife ?

post #4 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Do you mean your wife ?
LOL

No - I was going to send the kids over to you

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- Sounds like a really fun trip. Later cars (not later F50s) come with a wind breaker behind the seats and maybe you can rig something similar to keep the hot air where it belongs. If you were getting drops of water out of the air conditioner, I would check the evaporator drain tube and make sure it is not partially blocked. Should be located directly below the evaporator.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- Sounds like a really fun trip. Later cars (not later F50s) come with a wind breaker behind the seats and maybe you can rig something similar to keep the hot air where it belongs. If you were getting drops of water out of the air conditioner, I would check the evaporator drain tube and make sure it is not partially blocked. Should be located directly below the evaporator.
Will do so Terry, thanks.
post #7 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
LOL

No - I was going to send the kids over to you
Oh they would love it as my kids do...its just my nagging dragon wife (which is laughing in the background and tells me to write this now and here)
post #8 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Oh they would love it as my kids do...its just my nagging dragon wife (which is laughing in the background and tells me to write this now and here)
I agree. Have found children passengers overall to be far more compliant in the passenger seat than wives...

Sorry - totally off topic now...

post #9 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Excellent report and very much in line with my own experiences.

It does take a bit more out of you on a long drive than the F40 (I think because of the engine being bolted to the bulkhead) and the speed in which you can take a corner is unnervingly higher (for the passenger). I have not run into the issue with heat being pushed forward but then again it hasn't been hot enough to notice here this year.

Great to hear that you continue to use and enjoy "F".
post #10 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
As always, enjoy your expert, non-biased write up and done so well.

Also, an absolute commendation and compliments to your wonderful better half with impeccable taste and knowledge of great cars !

And last but not least, compliments to you for thoroughly enjoying your wonderful cars, the way they were meant for, not just sitting pretty in a cocconed garage, worrying about racking up mileage.

As for your choice of F50, looks like a happy ending afterall. With such wonderful open roads over theret, F50 would be a definite top of the list of desirables.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 08-12-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling correc
post #11 of 29 Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you all and I hope, that you all are able to enjoy your cars as much as possible, hopefully under better weather condition for the remaining driving months than so far this summer.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
You said new and soft tyres.

What have you on your F50?
The Good Yeary are old now and arenīt made anymore. The Pirellis are hard.

We maybe will try some Kumhos. But we will see.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1076 View Post
You said new and soft tyres.

What have you on your F50?
The Good Yeary are old now and arenīt made anymore. The Pirellis are hard.

We maybe will try some Kumhos. But we will see.
Yes you are very right on your analysis. Thats why I choose Michelin Pilot Sport. I guess in the meantime even better Michelins are available (weren't at the time I ordered them in the needed F50 sizes)
post #14 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- The new Michelin PSS tires have no size anywhere near what you need for the 13Jx18 rear wheels on your car, so you did well if you found PS2 tires in those sizes.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Well, not sure of the tire sizes but ...last year I bought this pair of leather sandals by Yves Saint Laurant which have Pirelli tires for soles ! Sorry, just had to mention this.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 08-13-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #16 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- The new Michelin PSS tires have no size anywhere near what you need for the 13Jx18 rear wheels on your car, so you did well if you found PS2 tires in those sizes.
Terry, I believed I meant the new PSS which at the time where not available. Do they plan to provide it later on in the F50 size dimensions as well, or is it simply a totally different constructional layout not reliable for that kind of size ?
post #17 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I have Pirellis on mine and so far they have been fine.

At the time these were the only tyres we could find that fit the wheels.
post #18 of 29 Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I have Pirellis on mine and so far they have been fine.

At the time these were the only tyres we could find that fit the wheels.
Pirelli's for the F50, you meant ?
Several people have told me that the Pirellis tend to be harder than the Michelins.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
You really drive your cars, 212. You're a source of inspiration!

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #20 of 29 Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you Capo !! Still waaaaaaaaaaaay behind the Dino driver Capo !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode