Porsche Carrera GT Review

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
CGT Review

There's no Porsche section on the site so I will post my little review here. After traveling over 1,100 miles in less than 4 days over all types of terrain, I got a pretty good taste of the CGT. I am by no means a pro driver and my current and past cars are what I can compare it to. One guy on our drive said to me 'you don't just fall into a CGT'. After thinking about that for 2 seconds, it's a very true statement. So the stable I have to compare to is Scuderia, challenge stradale, and GT3RS. Just sitting in the car is very different. The top of your thigh is about as high as the bottom of the door, so you really sit down in the car, literally. You sit more towards the center of the car, you're very close to the person sitting next to you, so you better enjoy their company especially on 1,000 mile jaunts! Gear lever is up high but actually becomes very convenient once you get used to it. Seat backs don't adjust at all because the carbon fiber tub is inches behind you. And most importantly don't plan on packing very much for road trips. I had to pack my clothes loose, no bag because a bag takes too much space. I was able to fit a pair of jeans 2 t-shirts, 1 button down, couple pair of socks and underware. Thats all that would fit in the front boot. My small toiletry bag had to go in the passenger footwell along with my girlfriend's small duffle bag. I couldn't see her legs the entire time because they were buried under luggage, probably a good thing..

The chassis: Quite simple makes all other cars feel like a spaghetti noodle. I have never felt a chassis as stiff or rigid as this. I guess its because I've never driven a proper race car, but it feels nothing like any street car I've driven. Body roll was for the most part non existant, or the least I've ever experienced .The car doesn't drive you, you have to drive it. This is what I took away after the weekend. Its a car that will definitely challenge your limits. Theres been a lot written about the CGT's reputation of throttle on oversteer. Was I concerned about this? Of course I was. I knew I'd be driving the car on some very remote back roads with nothing holding me back but the fear of god. I took the advice of another owner who said 'use gentle inputs'. Car did not oversteer on me one time. Did I exit a few corners at 120 mph at wot? Yes. This car holds. Not a hint of the backend coming out.

Braking: Excellent as one would expect. I've always thought Porsches stop better than F cars. Unlike the 911's that tend to teeter totter all the weight up front which puts tremendous grip on the front tires (typical of rear engine car) the CGT is much more balanced and you don't feel a big weight shift to the front.

Engine: Mine is equiped with stock exhaust and to me it seemed a little too muted for my taste only because I've heard the glorious sound they will make with a bypass pipe. But after this trip my opinion changed. On an open road with your foot in the throttle, I don't think I've ever heard a better sound from an engine. There's no opening and closing, its just pure mechanical and this roar that there really is no way to describe. It's a high pitch howl. Every car I passed on the trip, which was twenty something, said the same thing. They loved the sound and they wanted to get close just so they could hear it. Blipping the throttle for downshifts is mesmorizing. The flywheel is so light the rpms drop incredible fast! better shift fast!!

The engine pulls with no interuption very linear all the way up to the 8,400 rpm redline. No drama there, just gobs of power when ever you need it. Scud on the other hand feels very peeky. It pulls like a bat out of hell from 6,000 - 8,500. Below that the scud its not as responsive.

Driving the car fast is no easy task though. For some reason I feel like I'm working much harder than I do in the GT3 RS. I don't know if it just because I've driven the GT3 a lot more or what. Same goes for the scud. Thats the easiest of the 3 to drive fast (nannies do help a lot. nothing wrong with it, just a different experience). CGT is more bare bones. It taunts you to try and discover its limit, which I'll be more than happy never to do. Everthing about it is so precise, you have to be on your game to control it.

Driving with the top removed has its obvious advantages, but one thing I noticed is at high speeds, even in a straight line, the car loses stability. I read somewhere on r-list about this but didn't really buy into it. It almost felt like the car wanted to lift. Under 100mph, its no problem, but over that I started to notice a loss of down force.

All in all its a whole different ball game. If you're looking for a street car that takes raw to the next level, this is your ticket.
Attached Images

post #3 of 49 Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Eric, hope you don't mind that I have moved this to its own thread as it is a great write up and did not want it to get lost in the 16M discussion.

post #4 of 49 Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
Great write-up.

CGT is a special car but not sure where it is in the market place. Here in Switzerland there are 12 for sale...and all seem to have been on sale for quite some time. Will it be another 959 (which seems to has fallen behind in value compared to the 288/F40)?

post #5 of 49 Old 06-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Very nice write-up, very interesting to read. As a car guy I'm interested in all sorts of course.

Schnellmann - do you know what asking prices are for the Swiss CGTs?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #6 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Schnellmann

Onno

Asking price ranges from around CHF 380'000 to CHF 600'000, although most at the lower end of the range. Not sure how much they actually sell for.

Regards

Spencer

post #7 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Eric, thanks for the great write up. I agree on every single point you mentioned about the characteristcs of this wonderful car. When you compare it to the Scud one has to keep in mind that the Scud has a 4.3 litre engine whereas that of the CGT is 5.7 (if I remember correct), so all the torque statistics are quite different and really not very much to compare (kind of like I would compare the F50's 4.7 engine with the new F12's 6.2)
When I drove the CGT I was most impressed by the roadholding stability of the suspension and the carbon tub....which finally brought me to the F50. The Porsche technicians (as usual) did a great job in that respect.

@[email protected]: CGT's are "cheap" (the sold for below CHF 350'000.--) and offered in large numbers here as the car is very, very, very expensive to maintain. Any little damage on the side, front or back will result it ten thousands of Swiss Franc repair costs. A wheel itself is about 10' Swiss Franc and the simple service costs of the CGT's here are incredibly high. This puts it in line with the staggering maintenance costs of a 959, which itself prooved to be a very bad investment value wise.
Most of all I believe that Porsche (except for the very old classic and race breed) just is not following a corporate tactic of creating rare, specific and "raising in value" items as their name these days is more connected to the fact of higher and higher production and output. Not what smart money really is looking for longer term. Just my 0.02.
post #8 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Most of all I believe that Porsche (except for the very old classic and race breed) just is not following a corporate tactic of creating rare, specific and "raising in value" items as their name these days is more connected to the fact of higher and higher production and output. Not what smart money really is looking for longer term. Just my 0.02.
Agree with you 212Export, about 50% of production (now in excess of 100,000 cars per annum) is the Cayenne with the Panamera close behind. Porsche now build big heavy sedans with sportscars being on the side. Different to when racing was used to improve the road cars. Witness the titanium wheel nuts and mechanical fuel injection found on my 1969 911E that came straight from the sport protoypes racing cars. Current marketing suggests that the Cayenne was developed from the 959 Paris-Dakar winner. Tenuous at best. Still the modern Porsche sportscars are still brilliant to drive as they continue to be developed from the track cars. The wider front track of the 991 being developed from the 997 RSR and the need to increase the front track even further, for instance.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #9 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Schnellmann

@212Export: Thanks. That explains why there are so many sitting around for sale. ^

Porsche still make wonderful cars. The Boxster and Caymann are a delight to drive and the GT3s are brilliant. But the Cayenne and Panamera leave me cold. And the new 911 is no longer the small and agile sportscar it was.

If I were to invest in a Porsche it would most likely be in a 2.7 RS (or perhaps a really nice 2.2S/2.4S). I had the good fortune to drive a recently restored 2.7 RS a couple of weeks back (up the Grempel). It was utterly wonderful. Feedback, noise and an indecent pace for a 40-year old car.

post #10 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
[QUOTE=Schnellmann;202537
Porsche still make wonderful cars. The Boxster and Caymann are a delight to drive and the GT3s are brilliant. But the Cayenne and Panamera leave me cold. And the new 911 is no longer the small and agile sportscar it was.
[/QUOTE]
Could not put it better myself.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #11 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellmann View Post
@212Export: Thanks. That explains why there are so many sitting around for sale. ^

If I were to invest in a Porsche it would most likely be in a 2.7 RS (or perhaps a really nice 2.2S/2.4S). I had the good fortune to drive a recently restored 2.7 RS a couple of weeks back (up the Grempel). It was utterly wonderful. Feedback, noise and an indecent pace for a 40-year old car.

Oh I agree...really nothing against Porsche. They are building fantastic and reliable cars. Its just their overall politics, which makes it less interesting (imo) to secure your money invested in one of their newer cars.
post #12 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 04:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Eric - that was an excellent read and appreciate the drivers input required to handle the CGT ... a proper super car.

For those who don't know Eric he was the previous owner of my 16M and missed the ownership enough to recently replace it with another 16M beauty in white.

After purchasing the car and getting to know Eric the echo left from the post is ...

"I couldn't see her legs the entire time because they were buried under luggage, probably a good thing.."

Insight of the echo - Eric has extremely good taste!
Attached Images

FF 16M Speciale
Lamborghini SV Roadster
Carrera GT GT3RS Viper ACR
Bentayga 69z28 Healey
post #13 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Was the luggage space compromised because the top was removed? Might keep this in mind if I ever decide to get out of the 458? Highly unlikely, but anything is possible. Performance is very close to the SV, SV is stronger off the line, but both cars are very close up to 150+
post #14 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
I had enjoyed reading your post, Eric! Thank you for sharing the drive experience of the CGT. I almost got into one CGT a couple of years ago... might try into a test drive now after reading your post.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #15 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
Even that this car is nice....

I would spend that money in a Ferrari

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #16 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Eric, hope you don't mind that I have moved this to its own thread as it is a great write up and did not want it to get lost in the 16M discussion.
No problem at all. Thank you
post #17 of 49 Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellmann View Post
Onno

Asking price ranges from around CHF 380'000 to CHF 600'000, although most at the lower end of the range. Not sure how much they actually sell for.

Regards

Spencer
There are quite a few for sale in the UK now as well. Most around the GBP 300k range.
post #18 of 49 Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Eric - that was an excellent read and appreciate the drivers input required to handle the CGT ... a proper super car.

For those who don't know Eric he was the previous owner of my 16M and missed the ownership enough to recently replace it with another 16M beauty in white.

After purchasing the car and getting to know Eric the echo left from the post is ...

"I couldn't see her legs the entire time because they were buried under luggage, probably a good thing.."

Insight of the echo - Eric has extremely good taste!
Are we going to get a similar photo, but with white leather pants with the new 16M? Anxiously awaiting!
post #19 of 49 Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

A CGT would be a great addition along side the 16M and 612.
post #20 of 49 Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

This one really does look good in yellow:

Bonhams 1793 : One owner 480 miles from new,2005 Porsche Carrera GT Chassis no. WPOZZZ9826L000104 Engine no. 90630633

Tempting.....
Attached Images

Last edited by Boxer; 11-17-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode