Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- Brian had some people rag on him so have not seen him for a while. Hopefully he comes back soon. He says the disconnect switch is just for maintenance on the Motronic ECU cars and owners should leave the switch alone unless they really know what they are doing. The F50 uses Motronic 2.7, a system shared with late 348s, early F355s and early 456s. Later 355s, 456s, and 550s went to Motronic 5.2.
Whenever the battery disconnect switch is used, the Motronic ECU needs to relearn all the parameters that were erased out of memory by loss of power. In actual point of fact, you can ignore the relearn run cycle and there will be no ill affects. It will just take a while for everything to optimize and would not be a good idea to try and pass an emissions test until the car had been driven a while.
But if you want Motronic 2.7 to relearn as quickly as possible, these steps will help that along;
1. Ensure car is full cold before the relearn run cycle is started.
2. Turn off all accessories like the radio and the A/C
3. Insert the key into the ignition and wait 30 seconds in off.
4. Turn the key to on and wait 30 seconds.
5. Turn the key back to off and wait 30 seconds.
6. Turn the key to on, wait until the Check OK lamp illuminates and start the car.
7. Let the car idle for 10 minutes with no input whatsoever.
8. After 10 minutes, accessories can be turned back on.
9. Drive the car gently for about 10-20 minutes and everything should be back to normal.
Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125
Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.