F50 undervalued? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Schnellmann

Ferrari Life Posts: n/a
F50 undervalued?

Current prices of F50s don't seem much higher than F40s even though F50 much more bespoke and far fewer were made. Opined to a friend that perhaps F50 us undervalued and has more potential for increasing in value. However he thought that prices relatively low because servicing costs much higher on F50 and that because most of the car is bespoke there is short supply and only available from Ferrari. He also thought that there are some major consumables that are coming up for replacement around 2014/2015 that is putting people off. I know there are some F50 owners on here and wonder if they have a view.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
My view is that the F40 is older and in the eye of the mass is/was the more epical Ferrari to look at. The F50 is still pretty young and will probably become more classic in 5-15 years.
The F50 is about 4 times rarer. Maintenance cost may be a factor price wise but I personally believe that the main factor of the F50's relatively low comparable price to the F40 is the fact that most people do not understand the technical layout of the F50. Not F-Life members but probably the big rest.
I would bet that most car nuts never have driven a pure carbon chassis car. The difference in driving behavior is not common knowledge.
I would not be surprised if price behavior on a certain point could become equal to the 288 GTO's.
But who know's. Maybe gazoline use will be "verboten" in 15 years and all we have is a useless museumpiece afterwards.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
A big part of the current status is the way the car was received. The F40 was lauded in the press, the F50 was not. Most people don't like the looks of the F50 as much as the F40, which also plays a part. Then for many yeas the F50 remained very unknown, as 212 has eluded to. Very few reviews came out and so the public in large part remained in the dark about these cars, especially what technology they used and how they were different from the F40.

In recent years, the F50 has started to make a come-back, especially after the EVO test of 2006 (?) comparing all Ferrari supercars. Values have climbed quite a bit. This happened in a similar but more spectacular way for the 288GTO. That car was cheaper than an F40 not so long ago, now it is getting close to twice the price. Again, I think it had a lot to do with the car being unknown to the general public.

The F50 will climb further, I'm sure of it.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Regarding the comment on servicing costs, personally I have found the F40 to be more expensive to run than the F50.

In terms of how it is perceived by the public, it really is still a bit the "unknown" Ferrari supercar. It has never gotten that much press and they are rarely seen in public. Many F50s dissapeared into private collections and have remained their since.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
I think the F50 is undervalued too, not like the overvalued Enzo. I think this overvaluation of the Enzo will also reassure Ferrari to price the car around current mid Enzo prices. and resales of those who dare to resell for profit will probably bank about 200-300 sterling.

Although I think both F50 and Enzo markets will change soon when the Enzo replacement is released onto the market. I think the Enzo will fall to a more realistic value as owners sell their cars to make space for the new car ( although I think a lot have already done so to make space for their 599gto, which are all about to hit the market when they know they are on the new list, like last year as people were making space for the GTO there was 34 Enzo's listed on one website although 6-7 were listed by guinea hunters - some one who tries to sell something already for sale, but hopes they can cut themselves in on a deal) .

Once the new cars are near the end of their production ,I think this is when the F50 will be seen as a great supercar that is the last of the true drivers car made which is unassisted by electronics keeping things in check.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowf50 View Post
I think the F50 is undervalued too, not like the overvalued Enzo. I think this overvaluation of the Enzo will also reassure Ferrari to price the car around current mid Enzo prices. and resales of those who dare to resell for profit will probably bank about 200-300 sterling.

Although I think both F50 and Enzo markets will change soon when the Enzo replacement is released onto the market. I think the Enzo will fall to a more realistic value as owners sell their cars to make space for the new car ( although I think a lot have already done so to make space for their 599gto, which are all about to hit the market when they know they are on the new list, like last year as people were making space for the GTO there was 34 Enzo's listed on one website although 6-7 were listed by guinea hunters - some one who tries to sell something already for sale, but hopes they can cut themselves in on a deal) .

Once the new cars are near the end of their production ,I think this is when the F50 will be seen as a great supercar that is the last of the true drivers car made which is unassisted by electronics keeping things in check.
I believe to remember you saying that your father had a F50, a yellow one. Do you have some pictures from the car from the time he owned it ?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowf50 View Post

Enzo prices seem to be holding for now but something will likely give in the near future. Right now there are over 20 Enzos for sale in Europe and most have been on the market for quite some time.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 03:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
I believe to remember you saying that your father had a F50, a yellow one. Do you have some pictures from the car from the time he owned it ?
I do but they are only scans of photos as he got rid of it in 2001 iirc , just as digital cameras were made accessible to the masses. I keep promising myself I will have all my photos converted to digital one day, but days turn to weeks then months etc.

I only use Internet on iPad or iPhone these days can I post the pics via them ? If any body knows if it is possible let me know. I think I have been on pc about 10-15 hrs in the past 18 month.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode