288 GTO: Search Completed - Page 48 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #941 of 2970 Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Driving Impressions:

Altho my driving opportunities have been limited and I can hardly say that I have experienced the great potential of this marvelous GTO, I have been meaning to try to express my limited experience behind the wheel, but somehow it is rather difficult to express in words to convey the phenomenal experience that this car can offer. Needless to say this is a car close to thirty years old and there are many newer cars that are faster and more powerful and built with cutting edge technologies. However, for myself, I was and is never after these attributes. I much prefer balance of various atttributes to make a car that is special and something that I wish to have.
The key word is balance. Attributes are of course, things like power, speed and other things that constitute the typical splendid cars. Added to these, other virtues like size, weight, lines, form, stance, proportions of parts, and other subjective criteriae. I must also mention another important factor, that is myself, my own driving needs, skills and things I consider as integral parts of a desirable car. Suffice to say that my conclusion is: What a car, this GTO is !!! I wish I can proclaim that the car met and exceeded my expectations, but I did not know what to expect. My prior knowledge was purely based on some basic research. Nevertheless, the outcome is a gratifying one for me. I am very, very happy and impressed. Impressed by the physical beauty, impressed by the performance, and impressed by what this car is all about.

I have taken the GTO to work for the past two days in a row. Altho I have hardly pushed her to reveal her true potential, I was utterly impressed by everything the car is. With other cars, each one can claim checkmarks that make it special. I have to claim that this GTO has the most checkmarks in my tiny dusty book. I am utterly impressed with the car's mechanical potential and balance of all the parts coming together to make the GTO one of a kind. And can you believe that this claim is made by a guy with average driving skills and have not even explored the incredible performance by pushing the car north of 4000rpm ? Simply driving this GTO in second gear near 3000rpm and playing with the gas pedal down a street is more than enough to make me happy and understand a trace of what a car this is.

This is getting somewhat long so I would stop now and continue with some more driving impressions later. Thanx for reading.

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 04-26-2013 at 04:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #942 of 2970 Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Altho my driving opportunities have been limited and I can hardly say that I have experienced the great potential of this marvelous GTO, I have been meaning to try to express my limited exerience behind the wheel, but somehow it is rather difficult to express in words to convey the phenomenal experience that this car can offer. Needless to say this is a car close to thirty years old and there are many newer cars that are faster and more powerful and built with cutting edge technologies. However, for myself, I was and is never after these attributes. I much prefer balance of various atttributes to make a car that is special and something that I wish to have.
The key word is balance. Attributes are of course, things like power, speed and other things that constitute the typical splendid cars. Added to these, other virtues like size, weight, lines, form, stance, proportions of parts, and other subjective criteriae. I must also mention another important factor, that is myself, my own driving needs, skills and things I consider as integral parts of a desirable car. Suffice to say that my conclusion is: What a car, this GTO is !!! I wish I can proclaim that the car met and exceeded my expectations, but I did not know what to expect. My prior knowledge was purely based on some basic research. Nevertheless, the outcome is a gratifying one for me. I am very, very happy and impressed. Impressed by the physical beauty, impressed by the performance, and impressed by what this car is all about.

I have taken the GTO to work for the past two days in a row. Altho I have hardly pushed her to reveal her true potential, I was utterly impressed by everything the car is. With other cars, each one can claim checkmarks that make it special. I have to claim that this GTO has the most checkmarks in my tiny dusty book. I am utterly impressed with the car's mechanical potential and balance of all the parts coming together to make the GTO one of a kind. And can you believe that this claim is made by a guy with average driving skills and have not even explored the incredible performance by pushing the car north of 4000rpm ? Simply driving this GTO in second gear near 3000rpm and playing with the gas pedal down a street is more than enough to make me happy and understand a trace of what a car this is.

This is getting somewhat long so I would stop now and continue with some more driving impressions later. Thanx for reading.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Sounds like the bonding process is kicking into top gear Jimmy.
So glad to hear that now the paperwork and politics are out of the way you can get down to the driving and enjoyment. Many more happy miles...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #943 of 2970 Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Sounds like the bonding process is kicking into top gear Jimmy.
So glad to hear that now the paperwork and politics are out of the way you can get down to the driving and enjoyment. Many more happy miles...
Barry, thanx.

I would try to convey more in my next ranting !

w/ smiles

Jimmy

post #944 of 2970 Old 04-27-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Few Comments

The Stance:

The overall stance of this GTO is low and yet quite wide. Viewing from the side, the front third is a mixture of angular lines mixed with subtle curves which blend in with the overall sweeping yet delicate curve that terminates in the rear spoiler at a sharp angle up, reminiscing the predecessor. There are no massive wings or spoilers so prevelant in other comparable cars of the time almost as if resembling a midlife crisis statement on wheels. The three slanted, rectangular air slits in the rear quarter seem to be in perfect harmony with the nearby acutely angled spoiler.

Standing next to the car, one realize how low profiled the whole car is. This sensation is confirmed and amplified as you sit inside behind the steering wheel. The seats in naked eyse appear similar to comparable models but when you place your butt, one quickly realize the contour is much more accentuated and it feels as if your butt sinks into the seat. This is because the rear half of the seat is carved in much more, giving you the sensation that you are not just sitting, but instead being wrapped around and held within the seat. This sinking sensation is amplified with the firm, and I mean almost hard periphery of the seat, so much so that you are in constant awareness of the pressure from the hardness at your thighs and hip and lower back. Because of the aformentioned, driver's eye level is at the headlights/brake lamps of other cars nearby. The overall sensation is that you feel you are sitting right above the tarmac and this sensation seems more pronounced than, say my Dino, which is very low in position too.

Looking out to the rear mirror, your eye level is at par with the tall, rectangular mirror. Because of the massive mirror and the post combined with the wide and thick A pillar, visibility at that angle is somewhat compromised. This necessitates extra precaution when making turns to make sure things are clear.

As you sit in the seat and get used to the instrumentations, you notice the steering wheel position is very high and positioned further out and more at an angle than comparable cars. A bit strange but takes no time getting used to. Taking a twisted attitude, it seems to give the car a special flavor. This is accentuated when you place your right hand to the gear shift knob which appears to be taller, ....right at where my knee joint level.

The overall interior space is quite roomy and comfortable. Ample clearance above head, leg room is no problem, which was rather narrow in the 275. No arm rest here, probably not meant to be driven at ease. Not much space behind the seat where the engine sits, being placed as close to the center for midmounting, so much so that there is a huge "buldge" behind and between the two seats. Belt change is performed here by removing the cover. This is nice. The aformentioned midmounting of engine can be confirmed when you look into the rear engine compartment and see that the front third of the engine is hardly visible because it is shoved into the passenger space as much as possible.

Now that you have spent couple of minutes acquainting yourself to the interior and instruments, it is time to start the engine. Place the stick in neutral, stepping on the clutch pedal and leaving the gas pedal free, your right hand turns the key,...then one extra chore of pushing the start button to the lower left to the key. Within a second or so, the GTO wakes up with a deep,... deep, rumbling, almost growling loud roar of a beast. TBC ....

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Attached Images

Last edited by Italian Lover; 04-27-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #945 of 2970 Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jimmy- Those three vents in the back look so nice, like the ones on a 275 GTB/C or the front of most 250 GTOs. Really set the car off beautifully, and funtional, too.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #946 of 2970 Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jimmy- Those three vents in the back look so nice, like the ones on a 275 GTB/C or the front of most 250 GTOs. Really set the car off beautifully, and funtional, too.
Indeed, Terry ! Altho the vents were four in the front, I almost forgot my 275 2cam had similar vents also, albeit slightly more narrow, it seems.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Attached Images

Last edited by Italian Lover; 04-27-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #947 of 2970 Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ad Continum

Start button pushed, GTO wakes up without hesitation to a deep baritone rumbling as if a wild beast wakens up with momentary disorientation but quickly become focused. The engine being mid mounted as much as possible, right behind your back, that deep rumbling roar is very immediate and feel a tinge of that vibration thru your body.

As I coast out slowly from the parking pallet, I realize I must keep gassing more and more, otherwise this car seems to quit on you. It is as if she is asking for more and more. After few prepping and warming up, she is ready for the tarmac.

Coasting along streets at crawling speed with stop and go, you can sense that she does not like this, yet the behavior is quite normal. However, in a way, this is a bit stressful because you know from instinct that the car needs higher revving situation to be happy. It is somewhat analogous to a pulled rubber band in tension, kinetic energy is held and stored, ready to be unleashed at will. All that still within second or third gear and under 50kph or so.

Approaching a toll booth to hit the tollway, you gradually increase the rev and speed still in low gears. As you give a little more gas and increase the rev to 3000, the actual speed seems to increase exponentially and with a little more extra gas, you begin to hear this sharp shrieking pitch of the turbos activating, meanwhile the engine is roaring louder in anger. While all of this is going on, you suddenly realize that the car is literally flying as if a jet plane took off. Alarmed by the speed, right away I look around and check mirrors for cops and radars, a bit of panic and realize that my palms are a bit sweaty. TBC

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #948 of 2970 Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jimmy- 275 GTB/C with rear vents like your GTO. Even found a giallo one like your GTB. Note there are also rear vents on the 250 GTO 64 behind the 275.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #949 of 2970 Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Owner

Quote:
Start button pushed, GTO wakes up without hesitation to a deep baritone rumbling as if a wild beast wakens up with momentary disorientation but quickly become focused. The engine being mid mounted as much as possible, right behind your back, that deep rumbling roar is very immediate and feel a tinge of that vibration thru your body.

As I coast out slowly from the parking pallet, I realize I must keep gassing more and more, otherwise this car seems to quit on you. It is as if she is asking for more and more. After few prepping and warming up, she is ready for the tarmac.

Coasting along streets at crawling speed with stop and go, you can sense that she does not like this, yet the behavior is quite normal. However, in a way, this is a bit stressful because you know from instinct that the car needs higher revving situation to be happy. It is somewhat analogous to a pulled rubber band in tension, kinetic energy is held and stored, ready to be unleashed at will. All that still within second or third gear and under 50kph or so.

Approaching a toll booth to hit the tollway, you gradually increase the rev and speed still in low gears. As you give a little more gas and increase the rev to 3000, the actual speed seems to increase exponentially and with a little more extra gas, you begin to hear this sharp shrieking pitch of the turbos activating, meanwhile the engine is roaring louder in anger. While all of this is going on, you suddenly realize that the car is literally flying as if a jet plane took off. Alarmed by the speed, right away I look around and check mirrors for cops and radars, a bit of panic and realize that my palms are a bit sweaty. TBC

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Jimmy,
I read this, this morning, just before breakfast. For once in Dublin the sky was blue and the sun was out. Your post inspired me to ditch the Land Rover and opt for the Dino. How right a choice it turned out to be.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #950 of 2970 Old 04-29-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Terry, a 275 C ! So many vents,...a shark !

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #951 of 2970 Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Jimmy,
I read this, this morning, just before breakfast. For once in Dublin the sky was blue and the sun was out. Your post inspired me to ditch the Land Rover and opt for the Dino. How right a choice it turned out to be.
Barry, that is simply divine !

Here's a 208GT4 I saw recently in a showroom. A great car from Italy and very original. Asking price was 6,70,000 JPyen, if you were curious.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Attached Images

post #952 of 2970 Old 04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
Barry, that is simply divine !

Here's a 208GT4 I saw recently in a showroom. A great car from Italy and very original. Asking price was 6,70,000 JPyen, if you were curious.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Lovely Jimmy.
I almost bought a Giallo one when I acquired mine. Beautiful colour, but it wasn't the right car for me.

post #953 of 2970 Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

One impression I wished to convey before it slips my mind. That is, while driving the GTO and looking out the road, you become aware of the the front contour (profile) that is gentle curvatures, rising as they go out over the wheel wells. This contour was reminiscing and reminded me of the 365 BB's form. Maybe the front quarter has this lineage. The shape is subtle yet sensuous, not as pronounced as, say in Dino, which are unmistakable humps !!! Very sexy from a different standpoint ...

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #954 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Fabulous write ups and pictures! Many thanks Jimmy. I have not read until now what it feels like to sit in one, the view outwards and firing her up. Fantastic! It is a treat to be enjoying the magnificent GTO with you.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #955 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Lovely Jimmy.
I almost bought a Giallo one when I acquired mine. Beautiful colour, but it wasn't the right car for me.
Barry, the owner of that shop specializes in 208, 308 cars. He travels to Europe multiple times a year to purchase ! He knows his stuff well. I was impressed.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #956 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Fabulous write ups and pictures! Many thanks Jimmy. I have not read until now what it feels like to sit in one, the view outwards and firing her up. Fantastic! It is a treat to be enjoying the magnificent GTO with you.
David, thanx. Glad to know that my ranting is worth reading. I wish I were more eloquent as others, including your tales.

Bear with me, ....more to come.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #957 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Quote:
Barry, the owner of that shop specializes in 208, 308 cars. He travels to Europe multiple times a year to purchase ! He knows his stuff well. I was impressed.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Is the GT4 so popular in Japan?
6,700,000 ? Consider that in Italy you can easily find a nice 208GT4 for around 15k... Seems quite a good deal!

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."
post #958 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw4n View Post
Is the GT4 so popular in Japan?
6,700,000 ? Consider that in Italy you can easily find a nice 208GT4 for around 15k... Seems quite a good deal!
Sw4n, yes, indeed finding one in Italy on your own and importing would be a great deal with the aformentioned market prices here. I do admit the cars this dealer imports are in very good conditions, but some of have quite high mileage. For example, there are (were) two 308 GTB fiberglass models, one red with around 80,000km and a silver with 40,000km (sold) and the asking price for silver was 11,000,000 JPyen ! Assuming the mark up is 20% to 25% for the S/H, taxes and his profit, still the price seems quite steep.

Checking out few 308gt4 sold by private owners, the range seems to be around 4,500,000 to 5,000,000 JPyen.

If your quoted price in Italy is true, the dealer is doing good business and he seems to sell very well.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #959 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 106
Of course the dealer should handle all the import thing.... And reading your post made me remember that when I was looking for my GT4 one dealer I visited told me about an offer he received from Japan.
Offer that he refused because "All the GT4 are leaving this country!!"

You should consider that the 208 GT4 were made mainly for the Italian market in order to avoid higher taxation (cars with engine bigger than 2000 cm3 had a 38% VAT at that time). So the vast majority of the 840 made are still in Italy and they are much more common than 308, that is why it is very easy to find one, also in good condition.
The price I quoted is an average that correspond to the right price to pay, currently, for a car in good condition, especially considering that for 25k or less is possible to buy a 308 GT4 (and sometimes even a GTB or a 348).
I wouldn't say that 40k km is an high mileage, it is always a 30-years old car and Ferrari engines are made to be used.
The more you use it (properly, of course) the better it gets.
And that's also why I can't wait to read your impression about driving a GTO in a circuit...

"Engines are like women: you have to know how to touch them in the most sensitive parts."
post #960 of 2970 Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw4n View Post
Of course the dealer should handle all the import thing.... And reading your post made me remember that when I was looking for my GT4 one dealer I visited told me about an offer he received from Japan.
Offer that he refused because "All the GT4 are leaving this country!!"

You should consider that the 208 GT4 were made mainly for the Italian market in order to avoid higher taxation (cars with engine bigger than 2000 cm3 had a 38% VAT at that time). So the vast majority of the 840 made are still in Italy and they are much more common than 308, that is why it is very easy to find one, also in good condition.
The price I quoted is an average that correspond to the right price to pay, currently, for a car in good condition, especially considering that for 25k or less is possible to buy a 308 GT4 (and sometimes even a GTB or a 348).
I wouldn't say that 40k km is an high mileage, it is always a 30-years old car and Ferrari engines are made to be used.
The more you use it (properly, of course) the better it gets.
And that's also why I can't wait to read your impression about driving a GTO in a circuit...
 I was aware of the fact that 208 were mainly for domestic due to tax reasons. I kinda felt prices here in Japan were high, but I am a bit shocked to hear that prices are muchmore reasonable over there !!! It is very interesting and helpful to hear a direct voice like yourself. Very informative. Thanx ! Maybe I ought to start a side business !

W/ smiles
Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode