288 GTO: Search Completed - Page 146 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2901 of 2970 Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Lover View Post
Got a call saying that the AR returned from the pre registration protocol red tape. Now she is at the shop getting minor adjustments like carbs to suit the climate here, spark plugs cleaning and few other minor things. Then off to get registered and get the plate.

Should be soon getting behind the wheel for a drive.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Great news Jimmy!

Gr. Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2902 of 2970 Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738

However, we have entered the so called rainy season that lasts several weeks.

Gotta find those pockets of decent days here and there to enjoy these open top cars.

More updates to follow. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2903 of 2970 Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

SA Update

Well, my friend broker brought back the SA and in turn took the 16M which needs to change ownership papers.

Just wanted to post his comment on the SA. He drives all sorts of cars including Maranellos and 575, but was his first time to drive one with HGTC package and he was seriously surprised how nice it was and what a difference it made.

I have never driven ones without the package so cannot compare, but I value his experiences and knowledge very much.

Well, the SA is back and seems like all is fine.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover

post #2904 of 2970 Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 255
Well, if you don't know what to do with your SA this Sunday between 7 and 9AM, there's a car gathering in Tsutaya Daikanyama. There is a double theme: open cars (shoot, I'm out...), and retractable lights (yes, I'm in again!). Jez, who you have met before, should be there too. I know it's a bit far (and early), but at least I had to ask!
post #2905 of 2970 Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Franck, thanx for the lead. Your radar seems to know everything going on, meanwhile, I am back in the Victorian age.

That place seems like a favorite spot for small car gatherings, presumably because of that specialized bookstore (?) sponsoring these events (?).

Weather permitting. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2906 of 2970 Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,501
Quote:

However, we have entered the so called rainy season that lasts several weeks.

Gotta find those pockets of decent days here and there to enjoy these open top cars.

More updates to follow. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Here in England, we have entered the season when the sun shines which is called "summer", that last several days.

Best wishes, John
Ferrari: 550 Maranello S/N 110995, Dino 246 GT S/N 6934
Other: 1990 Bentley Turbo R, 1989 Porsche 911 C2, 2004 Mercedes 500CLK, 2011 Mercedes E350 CDI, 1972 VW T2 Camper, 2014 Fiat 500C, 1963 Jaguar E-type 3.8 FHC, 2015 Maserati Granturismo Sport
post #2907 of 2970 Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Owner

Quote:
Franck, thanx for the lead. Your radar seems to know everything going on, meanwhile, I am back in the Victorian age.

That place seems like a favorite spot for small car gatherings, presumably because of that specialized bookstore (?) sponsoring these events (?).

Weather permitting. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Yes, the book store organizes it once a month (in which case, parking is free for participants), but every time I go there I see nice cars regardless of the meeting being officially organized or not.

I hope we can meet there, weather seems nice for now, but it could change, so fingers are crossed!
post #2908 of 2970 Old 06-15-2015, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

SA Update: Ad naseum

Sorry for the mini updates, but I have driven a bit since the SA returned. Glad to report that issues are gone and she is a happy lady again. So what was all that about ? I have no answer.

Just wished to add one more point of interest, that is the CCB (brakes) of the SA and 16M. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like the SA brakes seem not to bite as much as the 16M brakes (?). Thought they were same, but maybe not.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2909 of 2970 Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Sorry for the mini updates, but I have driven a bit since the SA returned. Glad to report that issues are gone and she is a happy lady again. So what was all that about ? I have no answer.

Just wished to add one more point of interest, that is the CCB (brakes) of the SA and 16M. Maybe I am wrong but it seems like the SA brakes seem not to bite as much as the 16M brakes (?). Thought they were same, but maybe not.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,
the brakes are the same but your SA brakes are 10 years old ....

My Ferrari dealer told me that also the CCM of my 575M HGTC not bite like from new ...
Unfortunately Is normal, you can try to do some big brakes from high speed for do hot the brakes but this not redone new brakes.

Do your brakes vibrations when you push lightweight on the brakes at low speed?

This is another problem of this brakes, common to all cars with this brakes .....

Best Regards

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'
post #2910 of 2970 Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Fabio, this was my observation only and I am no expert.

Everything is relative, the SA brakes does seem less biting than the 16M, especially noticeable at low speed braking. The 16M feels a lot more sensitive and "jerky" when I brake, also probably because my right foot is so used to the traditional brakes' feel which is not the same for CCB.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2911 of 2970 Old 06-20-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

AR Update

As with all cars that were not driven regularly, minor issues surface as you drive them.

Even though this AR was restored immaculately, number of things showed up, slight leakage in rear left brake, steering wheel was a bit off, and the carbs needed to be adjusted for the new climate here. The owner furnished brand new spark plugs but was told at the shop that they do not suit the conditions here.

My friend at the shop commented that the engine seems like new and his impression is that it has not been "broken into" yet (?).

All in all, these minor issues have been attended to and the AR is scheduled to complete the final paper works and get her license plate next week, ready for road legal, finally. The car was shipped from South Carolina in early March so it has been a long wait.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images

Italian Lover
post #2912 of 2970 Old 06-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Owner

One question: why is there only one key? It looks like a Neiman ignition key to me, but is there another one for doors?
post #2913 of 2970 Old 06-20-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furanku View Post
One question: why is there only one key? It looks like a Neiman ignition key to me, but is there another one for doors?
Franck, the previous owner was a cautious and meticulous individual who did not want to take chances loosing keys, therefore when he shipped the AR, he only attached that one key for starting. Meanwhile, he sent me the remaining set of keys by mail along with other documents and registration. He did not have to that cautious but I thank him for that. There are multiple keys for this AR. :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2914 of 2970 Old 06-21-2015, 01:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Quote:
As with all cars that were not driven regularly, minor issues surface as you drive them.

Even though this AR was restored immaculately, number of things showed up, slight leakage in rear left brake, steering wheel was a bit off, and the carbs needed to be adjusted for the new climate here. The owner furnished brand new spark plugs but was told at the shop that they do not suit the conditions here.

My friend at the shop commented that the engine seems like new and his impression is that it has not been "broken into" yet (?).

All in all, these minor issues have been attended to and the AR is scheduled to complete the final paper works and get her license plate next week, ready for road legal, finally. The car was shipped from South Carolina in early March so it has been a long wait.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Jimmy, you can break in the engine like they did in the old days. Various loads and rpm for 1000 km. A sportscar engine, well most of the time just drive it like you stole it.
Rgds///Thomas
post #2915 of 2970 Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C311 View Post
Jimmy, you can break in the engine like they did in the old days. Various loads and rpm for 1000 km. A sportscar engine, well most of the time just drive it like you stole it.
Rgds///Thomas
Thomas, you mean like my daily driving ? :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2916 of 2970 Old 06-22-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Thomas, you mean like my daily driving ? :steering wheel:

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Jimmy, you tell me which one? Or can it be both? Rgds///Thomas
post #2917 of 2970 Old 06-22-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Jimmy, you tell me which one? Or can it be both? Rgds///Thomas

Italian Lover
post #2918 of 2970 Old 07-03-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

AR almost ready

As of last week, everything was sorted out, well almost.

Got a call, again, last week regarding the distributor issue. The shop tried "fixing" it but still ended up with excessive heat when warmed up so the mechanic recommended replacing with a new one. Okay, I said. Anything to sort out potential problems.

All in all, the AR is in excellent condition, but as mentioned, few minor issues surfaced after months of transporting and lack of usage prior to that. The distributor headache should be the last, which is being addressed right now and done by now.

Unfortunately, the rainy season is in full throttle with strings of potential typhoons lurking out there in the Pacific.

Living in Japan certainly is a continual test of one's patience.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Italian Lover
post #2919 of 2970 Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,004
Garage
Quote:
Jimmy, you can break in the engine like they did in the old days. Various loads and rpm for 1000 km. A sportscar engine, well most of the time just drive it like you stole it. Rgds///Thomas
Thomas, I believe that what was meant was serious engine service, heads off and perhaps bottom end work. "Break into" probably not intended to mean "break in"

just my 2c

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #2920 of 2970 Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Thomas, I believe that what was meant was serious engine service, heads off and perhaps bottom end work. "Break into" probably not intended to mean "break in"

just my 2c
A term rarely used nowdays. Broken in or to break in an engine is what you do when you start using a fresh and unused engine. Similar in a way to break in to tame a horse. Rgds///Thomas

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode