post #2001 of 2970 Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16M Down Under View Post
Love it Jimmy! You'll have great fun.

David.
David, this one is dedicated for you...

yet, another minor gravitational pull ...

w/ smiles
Jimmy

PS. Price, rather steep and I may not be the cup of tea for her ?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2002 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yet, another mild gravitational pull, this one a 2005 575M GTC, black/black with GTC options. Not bad for far less than half the asking price of the earlier one...

PS. Sorry, somehow I cannot figure out how to copy and upload pics from the ad page.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #2003 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 02:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
That's a lot of red Jimmy! But like all things Ferrari it quickly grows on you.

The 575M is no slouch either.

Decisions decisions.

David.

Ferrari - Corsa/Nero 16M Past - 09 F430, 09 Cali

post #2004 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

David, the outside is "white", and as you may know, people here's got a fetish when it comes to white.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images

post #2005 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Owner

Just love it Jimmy! The white is beautiful. Now the red interior is also making sense. It also has the CF exterior package which mine sadly lacks. Franck was so kind to email me a pic of a white 16M under that underpass where you take your cars. Stunning! Hard to take my eyes off it. I also saw a pic on this forum of a white speciale with the Italian stripes which I also loved.

My problem is that I am yet to find a Ferrari that I don't like!! But at least I'm easily pleased.

David.

P.S. Thanks for the diversion as I am still shaking form my last posting.

post #2006 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

David, seems like a cyclical thing where you see more F cars for sale when new models become available. I suppose people high up on the totem pole have rather short interest span. Few years back, I still remember seeing this exotic "used" Porsche on sale with only 600km or so and I asked the salesperson why the owner was selling. Answer was simple, bored.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #2007 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 255
OK, many things to say! Let's start with the 16M. I just happen to have spent my last Sunday in a 430 Scuderia (passenger seat only). Here is what I can say: the car is incredible, the sound is one of the best I have ever heard, including your GTO's, it's not too loud when driving reasonably slowly, but it becomes wild when it gets over 4000rpm. The car is very stiff, you're sitting very low, I was surprised to find myself basically as low as in my 308. I am sure the spider version is even cooler, BUT the potential of the car gets reaaally frustrating in Tokyo. In about 2 hours, we had just one occasion to accelerate frankly... OK, it was incredible, but, well, just too short. Oh, and the automatic mode works so well you end up using it most of the time... Is that a good thing? It's up to you to decide!
Finally, I know you don't like to lose money on your cars, and I think the 16M may get lower in price in the years to come (although I may be wrong), which leads me to the 575M, a car that is probably close to her lower point in price. It's beautiful, but I would worry about two things that were just starting at that time: F1 transmission and carbon brakes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the first ones seem to need replacing pretty often, and cost 1 million yens each. Ouch.
Personally, I would probably go with a 550, which is apparently much more reliable, equally or even more beautiful (a matter of taste), and is even cheaper, for the moment. I do think 550 will command more money than the 575 one day, as gate shifters become vintage and cool things.

One final comment: the person I was in the Scud with also owns a vetroresina 308, and here's what he told me: "I will have no issue selling the 430, but I will never part away with the 308, as it's the best balance ever. " His words, not mine! ;-) So what I'm saying is: before taking any decision, you need to try my car! (which is still not for sale, sorry!) ^^
post #2008 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Owner

By the way, look at that, it was taken on Sunday:

16M are just soooo common these days...
post #2009 of 2970 Old 12-10-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Franck, what you are seeing is a guy in disarray in confusion and all over the places.

Saying so, I do perfectly your viewpoints.

My experience with a scud ride (not at the helms) was back in 2014 at the FLED 6 in Scotland, where the car was Boxer's, the driver was 212 and I got the privilege to ride with him for and hour or so. All points you mentioned are true.

Although I did go take a look at this 16M, being half hearted, I deliberately offered 10% less than the asking price, assuming that the owner would not take the offer. The car is a consignment and was stored at this shop in Tokyo. I drive by this shop everyday but never stepped foot before.

The 16m was a beauty with less than 8,000km, two owners, everything looked sweet.
Even seeing the car with my naked eyes, I was not sure this is the kind of car for me or the other way around ? If I were serious, I would have paid the asking price, no questions.

Unfortunately, the same logic applies to 575m.

Maybe I should step way back and sit on side fence for a while and cool my head.

Just letting you know that I am rather irrational lately.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #2010 of 2970 Old 12-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Owner

You seem to be in a pretty dangerous place right now! Having sold both your GTO and your Dino, you are left with a whole lot of money, a whole lot of cars to choose from, and a big hole in your heart that you may be tempted to fill with anything sexy right now. Although I would love you to buy a nice Ferrari (because I would get to see it), I have to be a friend and put your interests before mine! So my advice is, indeed, for you to step back a little, wait a few more months, maybe come with me for some drives to get to know your options better. I should easily be able to give you access to a nice Scuderia, and an equally nice 599, at least in the passenger seat. And of course to my 308. At least it would give you an idea of what recent Ferrari feel like on "our" roads, that with the two types that are available: a powerful GT and a wild Berlinetta. Sorry, for a wild spider taste, you'll have to go and see our friend 16M Down Under!
There are so many cars to consider, I had never thought about it before because you once told me you felt recent cars were just too big for you, but for example the 599 GTO would be a nice mix of your ex (name heritage), the scuderia (wild) and the 575 (GT)! It's probably expensive, but may keep its value much better than most of recent cars, being considered as a "super" Ferrari. This is just an example of what you could also consider if you're going for recent cars too. To be honest, small cars are very nice to drive, but having driven the 599, which is huge, I didn't feel like the size was a problem at all, because with recent technology everything is just easy and smooth. Again, frustration is the main issue here. That and keeping your license alive!

OK, I'm not helping... anyway, here's what I propose you: if you're wanting to take a rash decision regarding a car, just give me a call before you sign anything. At least I'll tell you if you're about to do something stupid. Then you can do it anyway, because you're a grown up man, but at least I may get to have you think twice!

If you're around during the end of year (between the 30th and the 4th), maybe we can plan a nice little drive like we did when the GTO came beginning of 2013?

PS: I just checked, 599 GTO prices seem to have gone wild already... I wonder how much they want for the only one for sale in Japan, the white one in Osaka...)
post #2011 of 2970 Old 12-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Owner

Gee Franck, We all need a friend like you who can give such excellent advice! Jimmy you are always welcome to pop down and take the 16M for a drive, just don't try to swim here!!!

David.

post #2012 of 2970 Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Guys, thanx for your concerns. I would keep that in mind.

I have been on a spree of rash behaviors ad continuum. Furanck, it would be hard to tell a stupid not to do stupid things ...

You are right, I do not "feel right" with these modern high tech cars myself. You see, I am contradicting myself at times now.

I would tell you how stupid the market is right now. For the money I got for my Dino, I could have gotten this GTO plus changes.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
Attached Images

post #2013 of 2970 Old 12-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,005
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Guys, thanx for your concerns. I would keep that in mind.......I would tell you how stupid the market is right now. For the money I got for my Dino, I could have gotten this GTO plus changes.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

..........or my 412GT 5-speed and my Maserati Spyder

Seth
575M F1, Maserati Spyder, Cadillac STS-V & CTS
past: 330/365GTC speciale, F355b, 412GT, 400iA, 308GT4 2+2, 330GT 2+2, Porsche 356b Super 90, BMW 1800ti

what do I know? I drive blue Ferraris
post #2014 of 2970 Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
..........or my 412GT 5-speed and my Maserati Spyder
Seth, thanx for the reminder !

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #2015 of 2970 Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

So,....I have committed myself and decided to purchase the Alfa Romeo Duetto spider mentioned earlier from South Carolina. A minor move on my part to fill in the void and keep myself busy as a distraction from my non rational behaviors.

As for the more modern F cars seen lately, they are superlative but somehow I cannot see myself owning one. That white 16m was immaculate but the size, some aspects of styling, and the hefty price did not convince me.

Just an update report on my state of mind.

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #2016 of 2970 Old 12-12-2014, 11:48 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
So,....I have committed myself and decided to purchase the Alfa Romeo Duetto spider mentioned earlier from South Carolina
Hi Jimmy:

What year / Color for the Alfa?

Cheers

Enjoy the journey so much you don't care how long it takes to get there.
post #2017 of 2970 Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Hi Jimmy:

What year / Color for the Alfa?

Cheers
Scott, the model is a 1966 AR Duetto spider, a 105 series 1 model with round tail (boat tail) in red/ black, fully restored few years back by a reputable AR shop in LA. Motor is a 1600 unit. Mind you, I have to confess my knowledge of AR is still in its infant stage.

All I know is that I am attracted to the round tail design by Pinninfarina of that late 60's much more than the latter Veloce designs. I am attracted to the small capacity engine with light body, open top spider, the overall size and simple, uncluttered lines. The asking price was at the top for such a spider but if the owner's claims are true, she is well worth the changes. Yet, another non rational action with no PPI but trust.

She resides in South Carolina at the moment. I shall find out in couple of months if I made the right decision.

w/ smiles
Jimmy

Sorry, the first pic is an error and not the car I bought. I uploaded a wrong pic...
Attached Images

Last edited by Italian Lover; 12-12-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: error
post #2018 of 2970 Old 12-12-2014, 01:08 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
Jimmy:

Wow, the 66 Duetto is beautiful. She must have looked grand back in 1966 with such distinct styling, a tribute to the artistry of Pinninfarina. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your pursuit of this car.

Cheers

Enjoy the journey so much you don't care how long it takes to get there.
post #2019 of 2970 Old 12-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
A perfect Duetto ! Congratulations Jimmy. A epocal car in Alfa's wonderful history.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #2020 of 2970 Old 12-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 624
Well done Jimmy, I love it.

Cheers
Michael

Current Fcars: 360 Modena
Gone but not forgotten: 360 Spider, 575M, F430.
Other stuff: '71 Holden GTS Monaro, '80 BMW Alpina B9, '74 Porsche Targa, Caterham, MB CL500, Land Rover Discovery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode