Plexi Daytona Restoration - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Plexi Daytona Restoration

I thought I would post this up.

Friend of mine acquired this car approximately 18 months ago, in SA Daytona's are fairly rare and hardly ever come onto the market, in fact the deal on this car was an on and off affair for probably 3 years.

Once purchased the car was railed to Cape Town, I don't think the passengers at Cape Town station are quite used to seeing Daytona's immerge from old carriages because the car caused quite a stir.

A bit about the car, this is a fairly early Plexi,LHD model, among other things it was invited to the Ferrari 50th in 1997 and has had only 3 owners since new.

Condition wise the car had seen very little activity for around 3 years and while complete the car did have issues, notably the diff which clunked badly when going around corners and there was some small areas of rust, despite the car being kept in the dry climate of JHB.

Engine wise the car was strong, the V12 sounding superb but the carbs did need tuning. At this point there was some indecision whether to do a full restoration or a re commissioning. This decision was made a bit easier after finding out the car was actually Azzuro Metalicazato when new, a fairly rare colour for a plexi Daytona.

Thus a full restoration was embarked on, not the work of the moment down here in SA where expertise is fairly limited on these older cars. Fortunately one of the SA foremost Ferrari experts took on the project.

First port of call with to totally strip the car and assess the state of the body. Surprisingly the body was solid, very few areas of serious corrosion were found. Engine wise the motor was stripped for a full rebuild, new valves to replace the original sodium items, new timing chain, gaskets etc. The carbs were stripped for a full rebuild.

The steering box was examined and no play was found so that has been left as is. The steering wheels was re covered, the dash has been recovered with original material sourced from Luppi in Italy, likewise new seat covers were also sourced from Luppi.

The body was sent away for a total strip down and repaint, this was incredibly time consuming but while this went on other parts could be ordered, again being down here in Africa means its take forever for items to arrive and costs two arms and one leg due to the weak Rand.

When the old wiring loom was removed it was found to be very tired, this a new one was ordered from Italy, this took 6 months to get but its such a work of art that the wait was well worth it.

As at today the restoration has been going on for around a year and progress has been slow but that has mainly been due to waiting for parts.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Very nice.

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Reminds me of my old plexi Daytona 14009. Notice how the door panels have shrunk away from the door over time, exposing the red paint.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode