Cool V12 Renderings & Animation - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Cool V12 Renderings & Animation

Found these great renderings & animations while surfing. It's a SolidWorks model of a 65 degree V12. Sort of a Ferrari basis with some interesting twists. Obviously the CAD designer has taken some liberties (cams and main caps are unrealistically small), but the overall presentation is brilliant, and kudos to this guy Ahmed Abdelsalam for doing it! Interesting how he's put the front accessory drive gears on the flywheel end.

Mark, here's how to squeeze a supercharger in these 65 degree Vee's. (Well, in Ahmed's imagination anyway ) Wish these extra long rotor units actually existed...... (BTW, have you ever seen an inline quad rotor unit that uses couplings between the shafts?)

50+ internal photos/animations here: V12 Engine - SolidWorks, STEP / IGES, Other - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
John, for the sake of Mark's family you have to be careful posting stuff like this. All we need him to do is get it in his head that he needs a supercharger on one of his V12s and his poor wife and kids will never see him again.

Hey Mark, you gonna supercharger the boat engine?...
post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
John, for the sake of Mark's family you have to be careful posting stuff like this. All we need him to do is get it in his head that he needs a supercharger on one of his V12s and his poor wife and kids will never see him again.
LOL, no blower on the frankenFerrari V12, and no it won't fit even if I wanted it, I measured years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post

Hey Mark, you gonna supercharger the boat engine?...
Yes! The Lincoln engine is 72 degrees with along stroke (3.75") and longer connecting rods (7") so it's tall with lots of room in the Vee. It's also a 4 main bearing crank not 7 bearings like a ferrari making it ...shall we say rpm challenged. So even though its 292ci, the only way it's going to make the 300+ hp I want is if I add boost.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
Yes! The Lincoln engine is 72 degrees with along stroke (3.75") and longer connecting rods (7") so it's tall with lots of room in the Vee. It's also a 4 main bearing crank not 7 bearings like a ferrari making it ...shall we say rpm challenged. So even though its 292ci, the only way it's going to make the 300+ hp I want is if I add boost.
I wanna see the manifold for this one

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Found these great renderings & animations while surfing. It's a SolidWorks model of a 65 degree V12. Sort of a Ferrari basis with some interesting twists. Obviously the CAD designer has taken some liberties (cams and main caps are unrealistically small), but the overall presentation is brilliant, and kudos to this guy Ahmed Abdelsalam for doing it! Interesting how he's put the front accessory drive gears on the flywheel end.

Mark, here's how to squeeze a supercharger in these 65 degree Vee's. (Well, in Ahmed's imagination anyway ) Wish these extra long rotor units actually existed...... (BTW, have you ever seen an inline quad rotor unit that uses couplings between the shafts

Don't see a power output. May do it like a 917. Be better that way anyway.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I'm having a difficult time equating the common crank positions of some cylinders IF that is what I should be led to believe.

example. The two sets of center pistions 'look' like they may be firing at the same time? true?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #7 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I'm having a difficult time equating the common crank positions of some cylinders IF that is what I should be led to believe.

example. The two sets of center pistions 'look' like they may be firing at the same time? true?

They are on opposite strokes. When one is on compression stroke the other is on exhaust.

That model is how it is on the real thing.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
They are on opposite strokes. When one is on compression stroke the other is on exhaust.

That model is how it is on the real thing.

ok, so to be certain, and display my lack of quick understanding:

- I am assuming the left crank is pointing to the engine front.
- so, back left side pistons are 1-6, with the two, middle pistons being 3/4.
- 3&4's common crank buddies, look to be 9&10.
- based on that, they are firing at the same time? or ....

what I DO seem to see is a very smooth firing sequence across all pistons, causing the crank to be looking even in power at every degree, rather than simple four piston vs 6 vs 8

would like to be able to stop that in play or show in color when each fires.
I did read the firing order is 1-7-5-11-3-9-6-12-2-8-4-10 : In my sceanrio guessing 3&9 at same time and 4&10 at same time but on 180 degree cycle off of the 3&9.

but not sure if that means in a split second/degree of each other or are there meant to be more than a pair at a time.

my ignorance and one would expect I shouldn't be asking these questions years after the purchases

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 03-03-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
ok, so to be certain, and display my lack of quick understanding:

- I am assuming the left crank is pointing to the engine front.
- so, back left side pistons are 1-6, with the two, middle pistons being 3/4.
- 3&4's common crank buddies, look to be 9&10.
- based on that, they are firing at the same time? or ....

what I DO seem to see is a very smooth firing sequence across all pistons, causing the crank to be looking even in power at every degree, rather than simple four piston vs 6 vs 8

would like to be able to stop that in play or show in color when each fires.
I did read the firing order is 1-7-5-11-3-9-6-12-2-8-4-10 : In my sceanrio guessing 3&9 at same time and 4&10 at same time but on 180 degree cycle off of the 3&9.

but not sure if that means in a split second/degree of each other or are there meant to be more than a pair at a time.

my ignorance and one would expect I shouldn't be asking these questions years after the purchases

On each bank 1+6 are paired, 2+5 are paired, 3+4 are paired. When 1+6 are going up 1 is on compression stroke and 6 is on exhaust stroke. On the next crank revolution 1 is on ex stroke and 6 is on compression. Same applies for all others.

A 12 has no period at which the crank is not being driven by a piston on power stroke, they overlap by a bunch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode