welding helmet suggestions? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
welding helmet suggestions?

I need a new auto darkening helmet for TIG welding. Anyone tried different ones and have wisdom to share? I had a HF that had a green colored lens. Do all the auto dark have green lenses?

------------------------------

Life is Good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
I need a new auto darkening helmet for TIG welding. Anyone tried different ones and have wisdom to share? I had a HF that had a green colored lens. Do all the auto dark have green lenses?
The 4-5 I've over the years were all green.....most welders are used to that. I used to use the gold lenses in my standard helmet because it gives a much truer color, but the gold is just a super thin coating so it scratches easily and don't really protect your eyes properly any more.....so most welders stick to the green that are colored all the way through and good until they are SO scratched and burned you can't see through them anymore.....so I'm thinking the green makes people thing safe and durable?

Whatever the reason and for what it's worth, I've only ever seen green
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Mine has a Green lens also. It was about $350, which is mid market. It's a Blue Point which I suspect is made by Miller and relabled. My tool dealer stated that you want at least a mid market $350ish helmet as it has adjustable darkness and adjustable sensitivity. The cheaper helmets do not. The more expensive helmets are probably not going to do the casual user much good either. If you weld all day every day, you would notice an improvement in comfort and effectiveness.

The one gripe I have with my helmet is that the knobs which tension the pivot loosen every time I flip the helmet, so I am constantly re-tensioning them. You may want to go to a welding supply store and try on a couple helmets before you buy and weed out ones with short comings like that.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Has anyone tried the HF ones? I've been using one till now but really don't have a way of comparing it. Especially now that it died!

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
180 degrees lens design

try one of these out.

EFP Helmet
post #6 of 9 Old 01-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Has anyone tried the HF ones? I've been using one till now but really don't have a way of comparing it. Especially now that it died!
I have one. The helmet itself is cheap but it seems to work fine.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Kevin,
I assume by now you've already bought one... but if not I'll make a suggestion not on the type or make but on the format. Get one with a LARGE view port. And if you are at that age where you need reading glasses... you can get them in simple prescription lens too. Makes a world of difference!!!

Rick
post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosel View Post
Kevin,
I assume by now you've already bought one... but if not I'll make a suggestion not on the type or make but on the format. Get one with a LARGE view port. And if you are at that age where you need reading glasses... you can get them in simple prescription lens too. Makes a world of difference!!!

Rick
Do they make an auto darkening with a 4" lens?...that would be nice. My standard helmet is that size and I miss it.

On the eyes....now need to remove my glasses to see up close so I tend to just look over the top...then I get shit in my eyes....I don't like this getting old stuff
post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 114
Are you talking 4 inch wide or tall? I use a Jackson Boss (3.5w x 3.75 tall) with mag lenses and have a 3m Speedglass that is almost 4" wide.

I picked up one of these Rhinos recently as a spare. Great for when I go to someone else's place and don't want to take along an expensive helmet.

RHINO LARGE VIEW + GRIND Auto Darkening Welding Helmet - CARBON FIBER RH01 - Amazon.com

Rick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode