308 rear Calipers - Any Thoughts? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
308 rear Calipers - Any Thoughts?

I have a '79 308 GTS, and I've just fitted a GiroDisc brake conversion. The kit is terrific and the quality excellent, but while fitting I discovered why the standard Ferrari handbrake is so [email protected]

I was never terribly happy with it and refurbed all the rollers & gubbins that formed a part of the system, but when I discovered that the handbrake pushes one pad only onto the disc I realised why the handbrake is rubbish. I'd love to know who signed off on that design.

Anyway enought of the rant. I'm looking for some decent rear calipers, prefereably alloy with a decent handbrake mechanism. Can anyone please advise whether there are any later Ferrari rear calipers that would be suitable (happy to modify/machine as necessary)

Thanks

Bernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bernie- You might look at 360/F430 parking brake calipers. Neither works that great as the rotor wears, but likely better than the 308 PB. Another option would be looking at rear rotors with the PB built into the hub and brake shoes. Much better performance than the separate caliper and fitted to the 348/F355, but harder to integrate.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 53 Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Everyone blames the parking brake caliper design, but I can't help but wonder how much it is the fault of friction in the Bowden cable style outer housing running from the passenger compartment and under the engine.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole

post #4 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
My plan is to just install nice calipers and cheat the parking brake using something like this:
Attached Images

post #5 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
My plan is to just install nice calipers and cheat the parking brake using something like this:
Very effective but illegal for road use in most parts of the world.

360/430 parking brake calipers (Brembo, generic type, fit many cars) are self adjusting but very few use them more or less daily so they seize up. They are also adjustable to fit 26 to 32 mm thick rotors. Rgds///Thomas
post #6 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 04:53 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C311 View Post
Very effective but illegal for road use in most parts of the world.
Only if you get caught
post #7 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
My plan is ... using something like this:
What is it?

I wondered about redrilling the cable mounting hole on the existing lever to give more leverage, but got worried that the extra tension might bend something.

post #8 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 05:29 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
What is it?

I wondered about redrilling the cable mounting hole on the existing lever to give more leverage, but got worried that the extra tension might bend something.
It's an inline master cylinder for the rear calipers. They work great but as pointed out most places require a secondary mechanical brake to be legal for road use.

My personal view is that is basically a relic of days gone by when single circuit hydraulic systems failed on a regular basis.....but none the less the law in most places is for triple redundant braking systems on car (2 hydraulic and a mechanical) , while motorcycles are fine with only double redundant and aircraft single redundant. I tend to ignore regulations that don't make a lot of sense
post #9 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Another option would be looking at rear rotors with the PB built into the hub and brake shoes. Much better performance than the separate caliper and fitted to the 348/F355, but harder to integrate.
This would be my preference.
C5 and newer Corvettes use drum-in-hat parking brakes. A lot of older (and maybe newer also? I don't know) BMW's use them as well. Certain years of Jeep Grand Cherokees, etc... There are several to choose from.
post #10 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Will- The C2 used them, as well, for the 65-67 models.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 428
Cool... didn't know that.
post #12 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
308 rear calipers

OP,your headed in the right direction,308brakes are JUNK. The PB always drags on the RR,,just set the PB,release,LOL, and go for a drive and pound the brakes, then feel the wheels on both sides,the RR is always warmer.Ever notice how hard it is to push a 308 around a garage? mk e, your the Boss and that's the way to go.Ive got 964 rear calipers,how do I plumb the PB MC? I only want 1 rear caliper.I plan on drilling the ears on the front of the carrier for the 964 calipers,,Whats really great about your solution is that you will have a very strong PB for slides.The calipers in the pic are the ones I sent to a chatter a while back,Ive got a new set,the caliper sets sell for $400 now,they were $700 when I bought those shown.Custom hats are $300ea,rotors about $100ea.Boss,whats the source on your ebrake mc setup as shown.grazie
Attached Images

post #13 of 53 Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
328 parking brakes stop better than 308 parking brakes.

I so not know how they work, but they should fit on a 308, I guess.
post #14 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 AM

Cars with automatic transmission dont need a parking brake IMO. I have to repair is every year to pass the yearly traffic safety inspection. It's possible to use Mondial 3.2 rear spindle/hubs with parking brake drum in the hat section. The suspension geometry is different (better) but at least the upper wishbone must be swapped for a shorter type. I think the 328 wishbones are the one to get. Rgds///Thomas
post #15 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggazz312t View Post
OP,your headed in the right direction,308brakes are JUNK. The PB always drags on the RR,,just set the PB,release,LOL, and go for a drive and pound the brakes, then feel the wheels on both sides,the RR is always warmer.Ever notice how hard it is to push a 308 around a garage? mk e, your the Boss and that's the way to go.Ive got 964 rear calipers,how do I plumb the PB MC? I only want 1 rear caliper.I plan on drilling the ears on the front of the carrier for the 964 calipers,,Whats really great about your solution is that you will have a very strong PB for slides.The calipers in the pic are the ones I sent to a chatter a while back,Ive got a new set,the caliper sets sell for $400 now,they were $700 when I bought those shown.Custom hats are $300ea,rotors about $100ea.Boss,whats the source on your ebrake mc setup as shown.grazie
Reg,
search "hydraulic hand brake" on ebay. The drifters use them these day so you'll find hundreds or options. To install it you juct cut the line going the the rear and install it, that simple and you have a "race ebrake" if not a proper street ebrake.

My plan is to try to figure-out how to keep the stock brake handle.....in my spare time
post #16 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Cars with automatic transmission dont need a parking brake IMO. I have to repair is every year to pass the yearly traffic safety inspection. It's possible to use Mondial 3.2 rear spindle/hubs with parking brake drum in the hat section. The suspension geometry is different (better) but at least the upper wishbone must be swapped for a shorter type. I think the 328 wishbones are the one to get. Rgds///Thomas
think even with a standard trans less than 5% of people use them routinely. I never use them on any car, I use 1st gear.

I didn't realize there was a ferrari drum option, sounds like an expensive retrofit option....any idea the going rate for the parts needed?
post #17 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
think even with a standard trans less than 5% of people use them routinely. I never use them on any car, I use 1st gear.
If I park on a hillside with a manual car I use it. Anybody with experience of a swedish car know not to trust the parking brake alone.

Quote:
I didn't realize there was a ferrari drum option, sounds like an expensive retrofit option....any idea the going rate for the parts needed?
$500-600 on ebay for a pair. It's Mondial 3.2 without ABS. The later ABS version also fit but the caliper mounting ears are cut off on the side where the ABS sensor is fitted so they are LH or RH. The early 3.2 ones are the same as GTO except for the stub axles that are from Testarossa. I'm not 100% shure if 328 have the same as Mondial. The 3.2 front spindles are also an upgrade that bolt on a 308. Remember the brakes are not 308. 3.2/328 have floating calipers which IMO are useless on a high performance car.

They upgraded the suspension geometry but downgraded the brakes Rgds///Thomas

Last edited by C311; 01-04-2014 at 07:19 AM.
post #18 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
think even with a standard trans less than 5% of people use them routinely. I never use them on any car, I use 1st gear...
A functional hand-brake is necessary when parallel parking in a tight space on a steep San Francicso street. Even the best of us don't dare try to just heel-and-toe it.

I actually got my hand brake to hold on my 308 by cleaning up the mechanism. This included spending an hour nursing Teflon spray lubricant down the Bowden cable tube. That is why I was wondering how much of the problem is cable friction. It would be nice to try putting a teflon tube into the outer cable.

post #19 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
If I park on a hillside with a manual car I use it. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
A functional hand-brake is necessary when parallel parking in a tight space on a steep San Francicso street. ...
Ha! Mind meld. We posted similar thoughts at the same time.

post #20 of 53 Old 01-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I always use the parking brake on every car I own. 100% of the time. It's on the car, so why not use it? Plus, by regularly using it you keep everything working well.

I leave the car in the gear of the next direction I'm going (1st or Rev) and the parking brake set.

The only two exceptions are if I'm storing the car for the winter months or if I did track days I would never set the parking brake with hot rotors and calipers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode