Paint Item Number & Paint Question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Paint Item Number & Paint Question

What color is Ferrari Paint item number 6143110.

When did Ferrari go from single stage paint to two coat base and clear? Was it on all models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
Silver has always been clear coat

Hello,silver is always 2 stage,back in the 70s we used clear lacquer over base coat silver.All metallic are clear coated,Im guessing that about 1955 metallic showed up but I would have to refer to my lit to be accurate.Lots of early GT/4 are silver lacquer/lacqer CC and are very dull by todays standards... w/GTB introduction in 1976 they went w/ Glasurite which is catalized urethane.I shot some oem mags last week w/Glasurite and it is so shiney its crazy.I shot my mags 10yrs ago w/glasurite and compared them,,todays glasurite has fantastic gloss.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 43
Paints

Catalized urethane in 1976 wow. I knew all metallic were clear coated what about other cars what type of single stage did they use? Did they ever clear coat other colors? When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggazz312t View Post
Hello,silver is always 2 stage,back in the 70s we used clear lacquer over base coat silver.All metallic are clear coated,Im guessing that about 1955 metallic showed up but I would have to refer to my lit to be accurate.Lots of early GT/4 are silver lacquer/lacqer CC and are very dull by todays standards... w/GTB introduction in 1976 they went w/ Glasurite which is catalized urethane.I shot some oem mags last week w/Glasurite and it is so shiney its crazy.I shot my mags 10yrs ago w/glasurite and compared them,,todays glasurite has fantastic gloss.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Owner

what do you want to paint?

I might paint Big Tex 77 GTB,,its blue metallic,,I always consult w/my paint supplier cause Im generaly confused.I visited the GTB and maybe it was lacquer,,you cant shoot urethane over lacquer but if its old urethane a lite coat of todays glasurite will make that baby glow for $200 bucks.Warren,my buff man has been to the glasurite schools and worked at lots of shops,,painting is very specific,,so what are you up to? I will get you the answers.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
My 78 308 GTS was painted with Glasurit epoxy (two stage) paint with no clear coat, Rosso Corsa. I remember because both doors rusted out and had to be reskinned and painted in 1982. No clue when they started the clear coat. Porsche started using the epoxy paint before Ferrari did.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Owner

is polyurethane epoxy?IIRC yes

Imron was called epoxy paint years ago.. Glasurite comes in single stage and 2 stage.Solid colors like rosso corsa,,,black are single stage,,you shoot the color and don't clear coat.The color is 2 part,,,,mix 2 parts color,1 part hardener.All metallic colors like the silver wheels I just shot are 2 stage,,you shoot the metallic base,,,,silver,,,which does not have hardener and then clear coat,,,the clear coat is 2 part,base +1 part hardener.,,,I did no buffing on the oem mags,they have crazy gloss.,,Which brings up the next point for the OP,,what are you painting? I always did GTC in nitro-cellulose lacquer,,which you cut and buff and get the look.The cut and buff gets rid of the "orange peel",,,you C&B lacquer to get the mirror effect.....When you cut and buff Glasurit urethane you lose 50% of the gloss IMHO,,,you can shoot Glasurite top coat,single or 2 stage and it will flow out to where there is no orange peel.Not too hard on motorcycle tanks but a challenge on a whole Car. ,,, OEM are all electrostatic or some other new science, LOL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode