Hydraulic throwout bearing for 308 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
Hydraulic throwout bearing for 308

I have a heavy clutch pedal due to the high spring pressure on the twin disk clutch on the 208 so I've decided to research options for a hydraulic system, found one in the UK that is really pricey so having a spare bell housing I did a few measurement and found that a unit for a ford T5 transmission will work for $200. It should be in today and I will take pictures of the process and adjustment for those of you who are interest. Still haven't come up with a master cylinder so all comments are welcome.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I'm trying to use a tilton throw-out in mine if that helps.

I haven't decide on master yet though either so no help there.

I will say that the 3 disc tilton clutch I'm using had a freakishly low pedal pressure using the stock 308 cable setup and a modified arm outside the bellhouse to get the travel right
Attached Images

post #3 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
...so having a spare bell housing...
Of course you do! Jack, you always make me smile.

There's a company in Germany that also makes a hydraulic TO bearing setup for the 308, but it's probably just as pricey as the one you found in the UK.

post #4 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jack- There were early and late clutch linkages for the 308. The late one really lightened clutch pedal pressure. Which do you have?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Mark your always a step ahead of me and I like what you have done, it gives me a few ideas. I promise to get back on the EFI project soon, life has had a few bumps family wise.

Bret you know me to well.
Maybe its in Germany, 695 euros.

I have both Taz but have the early on the car. The late version is on the bell housing I posted a picture of but have had this same clutch on both the later version is better but still to stiff for an old man like me.

A bunch of stuff.
post #6 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Jack- Good luck on the update, then.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Jack, you can reduce the bore of your master cylinder to lighten your pedal AND improve the modulation of that twin disc. I went from a 3/4" bore to a 5/8" and like it much better (with the change of my clutch from a single disc organic to a triple disc metallic)

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #8 of 42 Old 09-19-2013, 05:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
That first one pictured may be a problem because of the large, flat face.
Small aftermarket pressure plates often require a radiused bearing face because the pressure plate becomes concave when depressed.
What kind of pressure plate do you have?
post #9 of 42 Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Mueller Fabrication (Out of business) twin disk clutch aluminum flywheel, I wish I took a picture of it for everyone, to the best of my memory it has a SS ring where all the fingers of the clutch come together. I have a feeling its Mcleod as it has a clover leaf etched into the pressure plate, they must have made the flywheel and put a Mcleod clutch and pressure plate as a package deal.

The hydraulic bearing I ordered came in and it will not work, so I ordered a Tilton like Marks so we will be on the same page. The ID of the sleeve was was 1.375 and I thought I was ordering a 1.435 which will slide right over the collar of the existing set up.

Take that back about the SS ring, it looks just like this one.

A bunch of stuff.

Last edited by P2164; 09-20-2013 at 04:54 AM.
post #10 of 42 Old 09-20-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Center force

It was the center force clutch that had the ss ring.

A bunch of stuff.
post #11 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
I've got another 4L build to finish after this one that the owner has decided to go with the GT hydrolic setup. When I get on that porject I'll share what I find out as well.

The one thing I did do though is a get a new clutch mfg that is stock size but able to handle 500+ ft-lb tq. assymbled I can take a 1ft long wrench and easily engage/disangage the clutch. the fingers on this pressure plate are flat at full depression.
Attached Images

post #12 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Nice!

500 ft lbs on a single disk must require a huge spring pressure. Keep us tuned on the set up your installing, it will be interesting how the master cylinder is going to be located and how to fabricate a pedal stop. Getting my old body under the dash will be a challenge itself.

A bunch of stuff.
post #13 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Owner

Quote:
.....and how to fabricate a pedal stop. .
As an fyi, on the cable setup I did for the tilton I didn't use a pedal stop. I change the external arm that blots to the bellhousing to get the correct travel at the clutch using the stock pedal travel, so like stock the floor become the pedal stop if I recall.

My plan with the new setup will be to duplicate what I had but hydraulically because the engine change doesn't give me room for the setup I had and this seemed the easiest solution.
post #14 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
As an fyi, on the cable setup I did for the tilton I didn't use a pedal stop. I change the external arm that blots to the bellhousing to get the correct travel at the clutch using the stock pedal travel, so like stock the floor become the pedal stop if I recall.

My plan with the new setup will be to duplicate what I had but hydraulically because the engine change doesn't give me room for the setup I had and this seemed the easiest solution.
So is the master cylinder going to be located in the area where the cable linkage is now on the bell housing? Using something like this cable actuated master cylinder?
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
post #15 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Owner

Quote:
So is the master cylinder going to be located in the area where the cable linkage is now on the bell housing? Using something like this cable actuated master cylinder?
I didn't even know they made such a thing!

I've been kicking a few thoughts around. I'm 90% sold on ditchign the power brakes and doing a dual master setup and was then thinking I just buy a standard 3 cylinder/2-pedal setup and figure out how to install it.

But it might be neater to do the brak maters right where the stock master is and something like the pull master you found in the tunnel up near the pedal maybe?

Of course the only car related thing I've actually made lately is the F1 car shaped pancakes I made the kids Sunday
post #16 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

F1 pancakes

Now that is funny! I have working on my wifes porsche cayenne, now I know why they are so cheap.

A bunch of stuff.
post #17 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
...Of course the only car related thing I've actually made lately is the F1 car shaped pancakes I made the kids Sunday
That's a step in the right direction!

My latest project is to get the 125cc shifter kart back together. Once I have that crossed off the list and I'm back on the track, I'll have to slide in a Saturday or Sunday to come down your way and motivate! I'm sure there's something down there that I can mess up while trying to help.
post #18 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
I'll have to slide in a Saturday or Sunday to come down your way and motivate! I'm sure there's something down there that I can mess up while trying to help.
Don't do it Bret!

If Lana gets wind a friend of Marks is coming down for a visit, she'll end up having you do some house choir. Like paint the trim or something.

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.
post #19 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Chris my wife and I are flying out on the 5th to do the fall leaf thing, I promised her 6 years ago we would make the trip again to the northeast and see the change of seasons, my plan is to stop by and say hello if you have the time.

A bunch of stuff.
post #20 of 42 Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Chris my wife and I are flying out on the 5th to do the fall leaf thing, I promised her 6 years ago we would make the trip again to the northeast and see the change of seasons, my plan is to stop by and say hello if you have the time.
That's great Jack. Well, at least you kept your promise.

I'll mark it on my calendar and notify the media.

I got Sundays off if you two are going to be around. Keep me in the loop of your schedule.

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode