Ecu swap on 208 twin turbo - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
Ecu swap on 208 twin turbo

Well I am excited to say I'm going to be involved with Mark and his new ECU and hope to be helpful with the program. First thing was to remove the old Haltech unit and wire in a TEC3 unit I had, the reason for this is the TEC3 is full sequential and has IAC control which the Haltech did not, I will tune the TEC3 unit then remove it, install a pigtail harness from the TEC3 plugs to the new o5e unit and experiment with Marks programing. At anytime I will be able to just plug in the TEC3 if needed. Here is a picture that will give Chris a heart attack. My wife just shook her head and walked away but thats how women are right?
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
Well I am excited to say I'm going to be involved with Mark and his new ECU and hope to be helpful with the program.
Thank you so much for volunteering! Having the ability to just swap plugs and not take the car out of service is perfect! It also lets us log injection pulse time and such so we can quickly compare outputs which will help sort any bugs quicker.

Quote:

My wife just shook her head and walked away but thats how women are right?
WOW! She must really love you! Lana would have shook MY head

Last edited by mk e; 06-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
WOW! She must really love you! Lana would have shock MY head
BING!!

post #5 of 20 Old 06-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Wow, Jack. As always, you're all in! Looking forward to your experiences.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

plugs

I've been working on this for 3 days on and off, got the TEC3 wired up and talking to my laptop, I had forgotten what a pain in the ass serial ports and usb adapters are, the Haltech is usb and talks to any computer real easy. On first try using the usb serial port adapter it was having a hard time communicating with the laptop, so I found a serial to serial cable and plugged into my old laptop and it opened up the dialog. Gave it a couple turn overs and she tried to fire so this morning I will check a few things and figure what needs to be changed.

One advantage to changing over to the TEC3 unit is the AMP plugs the TEC units use is available just about anywhere, I bought 12 of the male plugs so now I can make pigtails to just about any ecu on the market without screwing up my main car harness.

Sooner or later we will have blue tooth to a tuner APP on your ipad or phone, when that happens I will be the first in line.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Owner

Any progress on the TEC install Jack?

....because progress on that means you're closer to an o5e install
post #8 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner

tec 3

Installed and running, going to take it for a spin here soon as I stuff my face with a sandwich.

I am curious if there will be any difference between semi sequential and full, will let you know soon as I get back, it seems to run like it did with the Haltech unit although I can control the idle with timing on the tec3, thats got me stumped.

A bunch of stuff.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Owner

Excellent.

I doubt you'll see a difference with semi v full. With big injectors idle tends to smooth out a bit and with very big injectors you can do the pseudo direct injection thing but other than that....

The timing idle control I've always found possible (going way back to twisting a distributor) and was confused when you told me it did really do much.

Now the most important part...what does the o5e pigtail/install/try for the 1st time ever timeline look like?
post #10 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The tec3 has just a couple hiccups, I can't adjust my tach with by changing tach output on the software, the dash tach is reading double and the software will not change to read correctly. The AFR is close enough so I will only have to do some small VE table corrections. It does seem to be more responsive at low rpm throttle movements but at rpm levels above 4500 there is no difference. There is a annoying off throttle popping noise (unburnt fuel in exhaust) on coast down which I didn't have on the haltech so I guess I will just have to pull fuel from the VE table at coast down MAP readings. Seems every TEC I have installed I have to do this. Other than that its running good.

I have the o5e on my desk right now and printed out the schematics, guess I will have to start wiring the boards up and as you recommended hot glue to a wooden board then start cross referencing the tec3 in and outs to the db37 plugs. I'm still scratching my head on the DEV board. Just remember there where no computers in the 60s when I grew up, it takes me a little longer but I will get there.

I have that working vacation starting next Wednesday and will be out of the country till the 24th. I'll be sucking on some Kalik golds in the Bahamas and will be thinking of you guys.

A bunch of stuff.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Owner

Quote:

I have that working vacation starting next Wednesday and will be out of the country till the 24th. I'll be sucking on some Kalik golds in the Bahamas and will be thinking of you guys.
I know it's asking a lot but any chance you'll be ready to give it a go before you go? My thought was your vacation gives me time to fix stiff if I know what stuff to work on......
post #12 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

maybe

Quote:
I know it's asking a lot but any chance you'll be ready to give it a go before you go? My thought was your vacation gives me time to fix stiff if I know what stuff to work on......
I don't have a problem wiring up the db37 to the 23pin tec connector, as far as the DEV board I'm lost till I get a better understanding of what its doing, I guess there are just a few wires coming out of it. In and out? Am I correct that its the processor that feeds digital input to the analog boards? We have two analog boards with 9 drivers each, one board will use 8 for the injectors and the other will use 4 for the ignition, with 5 left over for IAC (which I don't have hooked up yet) boost, thermofan and water injection. Your building the code to make all this work or have done so already and its on the DEV board you sent me. ??

My car runs and drives and not bad considering its a rough tune so I can pull the TEC3 out at anytime.

A bunch of stuff.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Owner

Quote:
I don't have a problem wiring up the db37 to the 23pin tec connector, as far as the DEV board I'm lost till I get a better understanding of what its doing, I guess there are just a few wires coming out of it. In and out? Am I correct that its the processor that feeds digital input to the analog boards? We have two analog boards with 9 drivers each, one board will use 8 for the injectors and the other will use 4 for the ignition, with 5 left over for IAC (which I don't have hooked up yet) boost, thermofan and water injection. Your building the code to make all this work or have done so already and its on the DEV board you sent me. ??

My car runs and drives and not bad considering its a rough tune so I can pull the TEC3 out at anytime.
Right, the dev board is the processor and the other board the I/O Ithe small one is a power supply.

Each I/O board has 8 1A drivers for fuel or whatever and 8 low power for spark. So 1 will run the engine, the other the extra stuff.

There is no stepper controller, but that will be coming on the real gen1 board you'll get in a couple weeks.

You just need to put jumpers from the processor board to the driver boards....and it should work ......should......

Last edited by mk e; 06-08-2013 at 02:17 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-08-2013, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Right, the dev board is the processor and the other board the I/O Ithe small one is a power supply.

Each I/O board has 8 1A drivers for fuel or whatever and 8 low power for spark. So 1 will run the engine, the other the extra stuff.

There is no stepper controller, but that will be coming on the real gen1 board you'll get in a couple weeks.

You just need to put jumpers from the processor board to the driver boards....and it should work ......should......
Its a nice cool morning, I'm going to go out for a ride and do a little tuning. I forgot to mention that I am using the two of the optional analog inputs on the TEC3, the first allows me to tweak the fuel and the second is the spark, both are programed to ramp up or down fuel 10% and spark 10 degrees. This is done by two 10k home rheostats, the best part of this is if you do a data log while driving and you see on the O2 the motor is lean or rich you can tweek it up or down then when you get back you can review the data log and see exactly the MAP pressure and RPM you tweeked it make the change in the VE table and your done, sort of a manual way of using the O2 to correct the VE table. Same thing for timing, I normally do not put a lot of timing in at first till I get the fuel right, then add timing till I sense detonation then back it off.

One other bit of news. I bought a Bosch Motronics 3.3 with all the hardware, sensors, harness instructions and software. The 3.3 is that is used on all V8 Ferrari's 360 and up but this one it totally programable, it can be a direct swap for a 360 but my intentions is the 348, I will get rid of the dual 4 channel EFI systems and perhaps down the road a couple turbos. These units have a unbelievable amount of capability its just they are very expensive this set up was used on a trans am race car then the car was replaced and it went on the shelf.

A bunch of stuff.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 256
That Bosch ECU was a find
post #16 of 20 Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yes, it was and the guy was very generous in selling it to me, I could bought a new Haltech sport 2000 with the same amount of money but this has OBD and even senses vibration in the car, has the additional memory adapter with card too. I'm thinking this was a $11,000 new unit.

Long as my wife doesn't find out I'm good to go.

A bunch of stuff.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Owner

Quote:
Yes, it was and the guy was very generous in selling it to me, I could bought a new Haltech sport 2000 with the same amount of money but this has OBD and even senses vibration in the car, has the additional memory adapter with card too. I'm thinking this was a $11,000 new unit.

Long as my wife doesn't find out I'm good to go.
I just copied this for my files.

post #18 of 20 Old 06-08-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Chris, your the only person on the forum that has contact with her. Be nice brother.

I took it out this morning and within a couple hours on our country roads with little to no traffic I got a good tune on it. It took a couple different trys at the fuel curve but have one that's going to work pretty good. With electromotive and forced induction I try to find a TOG (fuel curve) that allows me very little change of the VE table at cruise, then when boost starts coming on I have to add fuel on the VE table. This is always the way it has been when you have a small motor with big injectors. There are a couple cars I've done without forced induction that a calculated fuel curve works out with little change but only a couple. Having installed many TEC units tuning is pretty easy, and with two people its a piece of cake but it takes several hours even with two people to get the perfect tune.

A bunch of stuff.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Owner

Very cool on the bosch....they are nice ecus.

On the trims...o5e doesn't have that yet. It's easy to do code wise but it hasn't made the top of the list yet.

What we do have though is auto-tune! just connect the tuner and drive while the car tunes itself....assuming the ecu works in the first place so the engine actually runs that is

Last edited by mk e; 06-09-2013 at 06:06 AM.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Very cool on the bosch....they are nice ecus.

On the trims...o5e doesn't have that yet. It's easy to do code wise but it hasn't made the top of the list yet.

What we do have though is auto-tune! just connect the tuner and drive while the car tunes itself....assuming the ecu works in the first place so the engine actually runs that is
Now that is awesome!

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to get into wiring it up, no promises but maybe we can at least get it plugged into the car.

A bunch of stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode