ODB disscussion, TorquePro, ELM327, PID lists - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
ODB disscussion, TorquePro, ELM327, PID lists

Found some neat stuff for the car geek. Torque Pro for the Adroid phones and the ELM 327 Bluetooth ODB scan tool. A free or $5 app(depending which version you choose) for your phone and a $12 ELM327 clone device and you have yourself a pretty neat handheld ODB scan tool. I read a lot of reviews and it seems like Torque is the best app for the Android and certainly the most downloaded.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cnF1ZWZyZWUiXQ

Looks pretty capable and very nicely done. Read your check engine diagnostics with your phone a a very portable device!

I just downloaded the $5 Pro version of Torque and purchased a cheap ELM327 adapter for $12 off Ebay.

------------------------------

Life is Good!

Last edited by KKRace; 03-31-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

http://www.glmsoftware.com/ScantoolReview.aspx It looks like there are some good justifications to go with one of the better odb adaptors rather than some of the under $20 generics. Faster Baud rates and all can proticalls are supported by the better $60 ones and may or may not be supported by the Chinese clones.

I was looking into why some scanners you buy read ABS and AIRBAG data and some donít as well as transmission codes and some other vehicle specific info. Nearest I can make out there is a non profit organization that holds the library for the PIDís(Parameter IDís) and it is owned by the manufacturers. Its purpose is to license out the PIDís to the tool makers. Different auto manufacturerís license out the PIDís for different yearly amounts. The manufactures have a list of standard PIDís they allow anyone to use for free. Most of your cheaper scanners read these.

The govít mandates a certain amount of PIDĒs that have to be made available for free. Beyond that the auto manufacturer has the ability to build in additional PIDís and license them out for a fee. The difference in the more expensive scanners is they have to pay the increased prices for the licensing fees to support the more enhanced PIDís. There is no hardware difference in the scan tools. One advantage of using a PC software based scan tool vs the handheld single purpose tools is you can use HYPERTerminal to send a PID to your USB or Blutooth odb tool. Hyperterminal just allows you to send anything you type to your generic scan tool. You can find some of the vehicle specific PIDís online in some of the forums and just go into hyperterminal and for example type in the PID for the ABS sensor readouts for that vehicle and it will respond back with the binary readings.

Some of the software scanners for laptops etc allow you to purchase the enhanced PIDís for your specific vehicle as a plug in as well.

I would love to hear from anyone else that has more knowledge on the subject if I'm giving out accurate information here? I'm not an expert on this but this is pretty much my interpetation of what information I was able to find.

Life is Good!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

What would be really neat to find out is if anyone has any of the enhanced PID's for Ferraris? My understanding is the odb2 PID's for the Ferraris is pretty much the minimum legally mandated. I might be nice to have some of the PID's so you could use HyperTerminal instead of having to purchase a very very expensive scanner.

Life is Good!

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I see Torque has a add on app for free that will allow you to enter PID's manually so you can use your phone for enhanced PID's instead of having a separate app for your laptop and Hyperterminal

Life is Good!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Kevin, I hope this thread can get some traction; I know Stef has fooled with the OBDII interface, and I'm sure some others here have as well.

I currently use the WiFi version of the OBDLink tool: ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink WiFi Scan Tool / Interface / Adapter - ScanTool.net

With their Scan-XL Pro software: ScanTool.net LLC - ScanXL Professional - OBD Software - ScanTool.net

This combination reads most of the generic stuff on my 550, but we always want more don't we? I'd really like to program some additional PID's when I get time.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Kevin, I hope this thread can get some traction; I know Stef has fooled with the OBDII interface, and I'm sure some others here have as well.

I currently use the WiFi version of the OBDLink tool: ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink WiFi Scan Tool / Interface / Adapter - ScanTool.net

With their Scan-XL Pro software: ScanTool.net LLC - ScanXL Professional - OBD Software - ScanTool.net

This combination reads most of the generic stuff on my 550, but we always want more don't we? I'd really like to program some additional PID's when I get time.
I was reading about Scan XL earlier and saw they do sell some enhanced vehicle specific PID's but only for the big 3, nothing for Ferrari. If you have the Blue tooth scan tool you should be able to use it with the Torque Android app.

Life is Good!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I was really hoping others with more knowlege on ODBII would chime in with some insight or corrections?

Life is Good!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode