Monster motor build.. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Monster motor build..

Well, another build down. compiling data for now, figured a tease might be in order.

How does it run?

Nicks Forza Ferrari 3.5 liter Supercharged 308 - YouTube

It's brutal acceleration, I honestly feel that a head restraint would be needed for any extended enthusiastic driving.

one of the data runs shows a 0-100-0 in 13secs.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Beautiful build! Which COP's are those - I don't recognise them?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #3 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
That looks amazing! More details please!

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

post #4 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 256
I'd certainly call that a tease

Looks awesome , some more detail , lot's more detail
post #5 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Oh baby, that very nice.

One thing for sure, someone is going to be very happy.

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Wow! Looks like a Tec3 running full-sequential. Very cool.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Good to see you are still in that game. Nice work as usual.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Wow! Looks like a Tec3 running full-sequential. Very cool.
How did you see that?? What gave that away?

post #9 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
What gave that away?
My first clue was Nick's an electromotive dealer

Nice looking install Scott.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
How did you see that?? What gave that away?
Mark has a point. Lol.

One of the connectors for the Tec3 is visible in the bottom right of the photo (the gray plug with all of the wires running to it). I'm guessing that end cap on the intake cam houses a cam sensor since it's rather thick to just be a cap, but maybe it covers one of the old dizzy drives since this is a 2V car. Normally Nick runs phase-sequential on all of his projects.
post #11 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, it's been a fun project. The Engine is being shipped to OZ, going into a GT4. The differential in Nicks gearbox has been modified to 75% lockup, that really helped in keeping the rear steering down to a min, still gets a bit sideways if you're not paying attention though.

This project is running the TecGT. Next one will be Link, and possibly a bit more BITE

The COP's are Bosch Motorsport, really love this setup.

crating the engine today, a bit busy..
post #12 of 32 Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Owner

Very neat and clean job Scott.

post #13 of 32 Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 256
When you have time some more info on the diff mod would be interesting , apart from the motor
post #14 of 32 Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck.co.za View Post
When you have time some more info on the diff mod would be interesting , apart from the motor
I can't lay claim to the diff, that was done by the late Theiler. I had to take apart the gearbox and also took apart the diff last night. I'm not at liberty to share the technical info on the diff as it's not mine. It's a NICE diff and the lockup was perfect for this engine build. the only unfortunate event with the gearbox was the lower ring nut came loose and the input drop gear cut into the case 5mm and filled the oil with aluminum dust, last mechanic failed to stake the the nut. I flushed the box replaced the broken and bad parts and put it back together to finish the engine and get more tuning done last week. it's been a busy month.

lots of datalogs and accelerometer data to sort thru, that data will help for suspension setup in MOI weight shift and traction.

as a techinical point, flywheel HP/TQ and wheel HP/TQ are not relatable as in other gearboxes, the drop gear set reduces the engine rpm by 10% to increase TQ, before you get to gear ratios. there is no 1:1 ratio possible from the flywheel to the wheels unless you get 1:1 drop gears. more later on this when I've got time, just flew home today.
post #15 of 32 Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
Would really like to hear the engine specs when you get time. Are you using water injection for cooling? Pictures of the engine if you got them please.

A bunch of stuff.
post #16 of 32 Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
That is one mean sounding engine. Nice thing is you increased the bore rather than just stroking her. Hate undersquare engines.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 32 Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Owner

Every time I watch that video, I imagine myself just siting in the passengers seat minding my own business, a camera pointed at my face, not knowing whats about to happen. (Ad evil laugh in the background here)

post #18 of 32 Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Lots of goodies in that motor, Ti rods, shim under bucket cam, massive porting, big valves, 89mm bore. Rotrex C38-91 blower, COP ignition, modified TechGT to drive the coils. Not shown in pic is a vacuum pump pulling ~6" in the case.

We have some GoPro footage from the front and back, we get tossed around inside the cabin like rag dolls, instant face lift, my neck was sore for a day after only 20mins of breakneck fun. It was very difficult to keep my head pointed forward under hard acceleration, with a motor like that you need a couple hey-zues bars to hold onto. Soooo much low torque you can be cruising along at 45mph in 4th stab the throttle and light the tires up. Honestly it exceeds the chassis capabilities in handling it.
post #19 of 32 Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
How much boost is it running Scott? Hp estimate?
post #20 of 32 Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
How much boost is it running Scott? Hp estimate?
Sorry for thedelay, right in the middle of posting windows re-config'd and rebooted....

Ok,
dynojet numbers 541hp,410Tq 4th gear.

I've got a couple reservations on the 248x dyno, this one is the old nascar beast, heavy rollers and not the best traction, traction was a big issue. pulls were going by in ~7secs a bit fast and tire slip was causing problems, the operator kept cinching the straps down and the tires deformed. once on the road it was far far to rich. spent another day doing road tuning, better time spent I think. using acceleration data, MOI etc. and data logs the avg tq was much higher 690.89lbf-ft which falls into line with the clutch wear and damage.
dynomation5 predicted. 707hp 465tq however it lacks the rotrex maps and I can only approximate it with the V9G which I have used in the past. I've sent the rotrex data to Atherton and he said he'd work on getting that into the program. the rotrex builds boost much sooner then a vortec but not as fast a lysholm or turbo, kinda in between.

bottom line, it's nutty fun that would land you into a tree or ditch very very quickly, or getting chased by the getto bird

I'm biased but I love the COP I was able to design, the coils I really want and would work even better are not available state side that I can track at the moment, bosch motorsport will only help so much, out of Europe they are pricey at ~$140ea. CDI is so expensive I don't see the advantage.

This build was a specific one, the customer wanted north of 500hp, doable with boost but that much tq will strain and stress these old chassis to the breaking point.

an early unfortunate event was the drop gear ring nut, a previous mechanic failed to stake the nut, it backed out and the input gear and nut cut thru the aluminum case, 5mm groove in the case and the gear lost ~2mm of width. this was during one afternoon of dyno pulls, numbers were all over and the engine started getting hard to start. once the case started to leak we noticed the issue. a teardown and parts replacement and a week later it was back to more tuning. gear oil came out looking like silver paint thankfully the metal was trapped by the magnets but the aluminum was free to coat the surfaces, all the bearings were shot. the joys of pushing the limits...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode