QV head porting - Ferrari Life
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
QV head porting

As promised here's a thread on QV head porting. These are for Newman and he gave me permission to post the details, so don't forget to thank him.

Honestly i sent more time cleaning up my bench than working but......

I gave everything a good look over, (I thought the heads would be a tad cleaner Paul ) and all looks well with the world.

I did a very quick baseline test....91cfm. 92 is more normal but these were still a bit dirty so I'd say right as expected.

The manifolds have a bit more meat at the flange area than I remembered so I'm going to see what I can do without welding them (i thought I would need to weld in the figure 8 part). I'm also going to see what I can do about sinking the injectors into the stock boss......the goal being to keep them looking as stock as I can. My primary goal is to make them work right so if I have to I'll modify, but only if I have to.

Tomorrow I'll get the chambers and gasket surfaces cleaned up and probably tear right in to roughing the ports and intakes. Once everything is rough I'll do the injectors, I don't want to do them first because they need to go as deep as possible for the fuel rail to clear the TB..... and I need to know where that is exactly. This will all take me though Saturday I'd guess or maybe Sunday. Then I'll fit the new larger valves and start the actual flow work.

No pics tonight since I didn't really do anything but plan, but I promise there will be plenty of pics once the chips start flying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Here's a picture I had saved.
Attached Images

post #3 of 131 Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Very cool. I've been mulling this one over a bit lately... If you have a QV with stock camshafts but heads that are ported and the intake/exhaust matched to the heads, will there be an appreciable power increase? Any idea how much?

I keep kicking around that I'd like to keep the boost on my engine at 15 psi max, but I'd like to hit 550hp for no other reason than it's a nice, over the top HP number for a 308. I have cams with 8d more duration (and stock lift), but maybe a set of 328 or 348 cams would be needed. My heads are ported, but I don't have flow numbers and I'm sure they're not as good as the stuff you're doing.

post #4 of 131 Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bret- 15 psi (~1 atmosphere) is quite a bit of pressure. What are you doing about compression ratio? I guess the old 8.8:1 would work pretty well with 15 psi and a knock sensor.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Owner

NO actual work yesterday but today I got quite a lot done.

First up was clean the combustion chambers and gasket surfaces .
Attached Images

post #6 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Next a good look at everything so I was clear on the plan.

Oversize valves. They are custom, call Paul if you can't live without a set of your own.

I found a crack in the mounting flange on one of the runner.....not really important but I'll probably weld it from the bottom so it (the weld) won't show.

I also noticed some of the head blot holes were pretty corroded. They should be 12mm but only measured 11 and I re-drilled them.....and got a lot of crap out.
Attached Images

post #7 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Now the actual porting type work starts.

The first step is to lose the figure-8 shape and tha good place to start that is to get your self a 348 intake gasket and match the head and manifold to it.

Blue and scribe, then grind to the lines
Attached Images

post #8 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

For the grinding I start with a rough single cut carbide, (it cuts fast!), then a fine single cut oval with a longish shank which gets around corners nicely. Then sa course sanding drum as large of diameter as will fit to remove any waves the carbides left. The a quick cleanup with a finer (still 60 or 80 grit) flapper wheel and then it looks pretty good. This is just rough work, I'll finish with 120 or 180 during the flow work.
Attached Images

post #9 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Now repeat on the head.....although here I decide to just rough them in for now with the course carbide because I want to get the new valves fitted before
i start blending anything but that will have to keep until tomorrow.
Attached Images

post #10 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

One thing I'm not quite sure about yet is the tops of the intake runners. They want to 48 or 50mm, the most the castings will allow is 44mm.....and they are 40mm which is somewhat less than ideal.

The problem is the rubber gaskets that sit between the runners and plenum are like 39-40mm so the first step is think about how to either open up the gasket holes or seal it another way.

The next problem is the radius entrance inside the plenum won't be much of a radius is I bore out 4mm.

I'm thinking the first step is get the head finished and see what I can get thought the runner as they are then take more aggressive action if needed.
post #11 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Very cool. I've been mulling this one over a bit lately... If you have a QV with stock camshafts but heads that are ported and the intake/exhaust matched to the heads, will there be an appreciable power increase? Any idea how much?

I keep kicking around that I'd like to keep the boost on my engine at 15 psi max, but I'd like to hit 550hp for no other reason than it's a nice, over the top HP number for a 308. I have cams with 8d more duration (and stock lift), but maybe a set of 328 or 348 cams would be needed. My heads are ported, but I don't have flow numbers and I'm sure they're not as good as the stuff you're doing.
All tough questions. The HP increase really depends on exactly what is done. This job is getting larger valve but on basically stock ID seat, this keep the velocity though the seat high but makes it act like it has a high lift aggressive ramp cam because the larger valve circumference exposes more area sooner....then it's getting aggressive cams to go with them.

What lift are your cams? The duration is fine.
post #12 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Bret- 15 psi (~1 atmosphere) is quite a bit of pressure. What are you doing about compression ratio? I guess the old 8.8:1 would work pretty well with 15 psi and a knock sensor.
Yep, that's exactly the plan I'm looking at. Go back to the stock 8.6:1 that the QV has. They're forged Mahle pistons, so actually pretty nice besides the low comp ratio. Mark was running something like 18 or 24 psi, but that's more wheelspin than I'm looking for!
post #13 of 131 Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
My favorite part of threads is when Mark starts moving or welding metal.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #14 of 131 Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
My favorite part of threads is when Mark starts moving or welding metal.
Agreed.

I missed this yesterday. But better now though, cause i'm having my coffee.
post #15 of 131 Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

My favorite part is when they're done....but I don't get to see that very often
post #16 of 131 Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
...What lift are your cams? The duration is fine.
.324" or 8.2mm. They're basically stock lift, so far as I know. Elgin didn't want to add lift when they reground them and at the time I didn't want to go down uncharted territory.

I think the last time we talked about it you said .360" was the max with shim-over buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
My favorite part is when they're done....but I don't get to see that very often
Lol. Are any of us ever really done?
post #17 of 131 Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
.324" or 8.2mm. They're basically stock lift, so far as I know. Elgin didn't want to add lift when they reground them and at the time I didn't want to go down uncharted territory.

I think the last time we talked about it you said .360" was the max with shim-over buckets.
The 348 is .377 so that should be a good number.
post #18 of 131 Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I didn't get as far as I hoped today, but did get the seats cut for the new larger valves. I like to use a seat cutter that has several radii to blend the port into the seat, this lets me set a much larger valve on the same ID seat and acts as a diffuser to help flow. So far I haven't touched the seat ID even though the intake valves are a little over 2mm bigger.

The intake ports are all kinds of wavy and generally awful up near the seat so I'm going to fix that up a bit before I bother getting flow numbers, so that's next.
Attached Images

post #19 of 131 Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Man...when I grow up I'm gonna get me one of those.

As usual you do some interesting stuff there Mark.
post #20 of 131 Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 184
Mark, I know this has been mentioned in the other thread, but Im lazy, what is the bore spacing on these, and the bore diameter? AND, what does one of these heads go for on ebay, or other, incl cams and cover?

Thanks,

Brian,

If you think you can't you wont, if you think you can, you will

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode