LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
246 GTS for tall people

Hi,
I am considering to buy a 246 GTS.
There just one Problem I'm 6'4"+.
There is no need for the perfect seeting,
I just want to be able to drive(properly).

That's why i want to ask if there is someone out there, who have an idea how to modify the 246 GTS. ?

Someone told me that the seats from the first series goes further back.
If that's true how much ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Cannot help you on the tall person question since I am 5'7" and fit in my old Dino fine. Someone here will chime in and let you know.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
Welcome to the site. Your best bet is to sit in one and if possible drive one. Not very much room. They were not made for tall guys. Not sure that you can modify the seat movement.
Best of luck.
Thanks
Alex.

post #4 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Welcome to Flife

I am 6'2 and the Dino felt uncomfortable - along with the 360 & 430 when staring at the visor.

Take one for a ride or find one to at least sit in - there may be space to push the tracks back.

May I suggest a 16M
post #5 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Welcome to Ferrari Life. Cannot help you on the tall person question since I am 5'7" and fit in my old Dino fine. Someone here will chime in and let you know.
being short has its advantages sometimes, eh Taz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsorferrari? View Post
Chas, you sir, are a genius.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Chas- In Ferraris and in fighters.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
And karting. I'm 6'2" and it's always tough watching the shorter guys just disappear into the distance and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

To the OP's question, at my height even the 308 is a bit tight, and I think it's ever so slightly larger than the 246. It's comfortable enough - I've taken 10 or 12 hour drives in the past - but one certainly isn't lounging about. Two inches taller might be too much, so Alex has a great point to sit in one and give it a go. It depends a lot on your torso to leg ratio, and what you consider acceptable. To be honest, shoe size is more of an issue for me (and I only wear size 11).
post #8 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Welcome to Flife

I am 6'2 and the Dino felt uncomfortable - along with the 360 & 430 when staring at the visor.

Take one for a ride or find one to at least sit in - there may be space to push the tracks back.

May I suggest a 16M
+1, same height and could never get comfortable in the Dino. Only thing to add room you can do it take the seat off the runners and bolt it directly to the floor.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
I carry a lumbar cushion in mine. Since the seat doesn't incline, the cushion gives additional means to alter body position/back angle. Might be worth a try.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Owner

Quote:
In Ferraris - check, in fighters - no, unfortunately never tried one, very jealous...

Salve,
Capo

post #11 of 25 Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL.

I am 6'2", weighing around 150+lbs. Weight and waist may be the other factors.

Dino is indeed a bit "tight" for me too, but all is relative. One adapts and becomes the norm.

As to answer your original question, I think you are referring to the earlier Dinos which have tilting seats. That extra tilt does seem to create a little extra roon for driving ease. If I am not mistaken, these were available for 206 and 246 Tipo L models only (?).

w/ smiles

Jimmy

Last edited by Italian Lover; 01-16-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: spelling correction
post #12 of 25 Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Ok Already thank you for your answers.

So far:
- bolt the seat to the floor.
• About how much are we talking?
- do something with the lumbar cushion.
- And get an early modell.

Is there someone who got a already modified car?
post #13 of 25 Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Good Dinos are in the $175-250K range right now. For that you could get later Ferraris that have plenty of room, but then it would not have the appeal of a Dino.

Tilting the seat, like Jimmie said, really increases leg and head room. Even on a later one it would probably be possible to fabricate a wedge fitting for the seat rails and still have fore-aft movement.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #14 of 25 Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 815
I am 1.70 cmts and you are 1.93cmts. I just fit nice in my Dino 246 GTS so 23 centimeters more i think is just impossible! Sorry to say it!!!!!
I think you should look into another Ferrari.

Current:F12, F40 , F50 , Enzo , Mclaren P1
Past: 348 spider ,F430, Dino 246 GTS
Waiting: Ghost 2016.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern26 View Post
Ok Already thank you for your answers.

So far:
- bolt the seat to the floor.
About how much are we talking?
- do something with the lumbar cushion.
- And get an early modell.

Is there someone who got a already modified car?
One other thing I would do is fit a spacer on the steering wheel. This will pull the wheel towards you a bit and free up a bit of knee/leg room. I did it on a 365 BB and it made a huge difference. Hill Engineering in the UK sells them.
post #16 of 25 Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
One other thing I would do is fit a spacer on the steering wheel. This will pull the wheel towards you a bit and free up a bit of knee/leg room. I did it on a 365 BB and it made a huge difference. Hill Engineering in the UK sells them.
Forgot to mention that. I've had a 50mm spacer installed and will do likewise on my 308, mainly because I like the enhanced steering precision it gives me.

Salve,
Capo

post #17 of 25 Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I am 1.70 cmts and you are 1.93cmts. I just fit nice in my Dino 246 GTS so 23 centimeters more i think is just impossible! Sorry to say it!!!!!
I think you should look into another Ferrari.
Yes, GTS is the wrong car. A friend owned a GT and GTS and he sold the GTS, because he could not fit. In the GT he fits perfectly.

He is about 190 cm tall
post #18 of 25 Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
I am 6'1", 185 lbs. more legs than torso.....

I have both models, GT and GTS.

Where there is a will, there is a way. The GTS, with the roof not stored behind the seats, you would be tight, but could work.

The Dino is a small car. Keep in mind, in Magnum PI, Tom Selleck drove a 308. The seat was lowered and his head still was higher than the roof. He is 6'4" too, I believe.

It all depends on your body structure.
post #19 of 25 Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
tall driver in a 308/328

Hi, I'm posting the progress I'm making on my recently acquired 328 GTS; I'm designing and fabricating new seats for it. The new seat bottoms are made, now; the secret is to use the rear bulkhead as the position for the upper part of the seat, which cannot be done using the original seats. I am using the original tracks & slides, though. This means fabricating a seat that has a special pair of brackets to connect the top & bottom over the small "shelf" that the targa panel rests on when stored behind the seat. By doing this instead of my head sticking out 1 1/2" above the roofline, I now have over 1 1/4" of space over my head with the targa panel roof fitted. I'm 6'-4" (193 cm) tall, with my height more in my torso. I also can completely stretch my legs out for driving, no need to bend my legs to the side of the steering wheel to fit. By doing this I can also wear street shoes comfortably to drive, as well. Someone taller but with longer legs would have as much clearance, I'm sure. My pants inseam is 32"; a more typical inseam for taller drivers might run up to as much as 35", so long legged drivers would sit not so tall in the saddle, so to speak. See the more recent thread on tall drivers in a 328 I'm posting for details.

BTW if the targa panel is to be stored, the seat can be moved forward to store it as usual, of course that would shorten the distance to the pedals, but not too much.

So far as the 246 goes I don't know, but some years ago I drove one (when I was a bit taller) and I had no problems with fitting. Only with the price, at the time. I finally solved that last problem by working in the middle east for some years. Of course in the meantime the price of 246's has skyrocketed, but the 308/328 series are (for a Ferrari) still affordable, for a nice one. Faster cars, too, nearly as good looking...which says a lot! So here's the bottom line: if you're tall (like 6'4" or so), but not TOO tall, and you'd like a 308 or 328 but don't fit very well due to height, if you don't mind a bit of modification (only the seat or seats, though) buy one now before the price follows the trend...up!

Cheers, Rich
post #20 of 25 Old 03-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 124
OK, it's now the first of March, 2014; the new seats are completed, ready to upholster. I sat in the seat with latex foam over the seats, and I do clear the targa top by almost an inch or so. If anyone reading this would like photos I'd be happy to oblige. The original seats are attached to the slides with 2 bolts at the front which attach to vertical tabs, with the bolts being horizontal, and at the rear are bolted from underneath the sliding track into the bottom of the seat. This makes the seat a pain to remove, as all 4 allen bolts have to be accessed and removed, at which point the entire seat assembly comes out, tracks and all. Instead of doing it that way, I removed everything, then bolted the seat tracks to the floor but sans seats, leaving the two threaded tabs at the front sticking up. I then made a bracket to attach to the sliding track which bolts to the seat bottom but is attached to the seat track tabs with clevis pins; easily removed from the front of the seat, which angles up and clears the floor pan by nearly 4 inches. Due to the construction of the seat there's no need to bolt the rear of the seat bottom to the upper track; the seat is only attached to the tracks at the front, with the 2 clevis pins. All this makes it very easy to remove the new seats completely- takes about 30 seconds, leaving the tracks in place. Also the seats can be tilted way up on the front pivots, should something somehow fall under the seats. However, the seats have a fixed rake and cannot be adjusted, other than to place something under the rear of the seat, thus tilting everything up at the rear. The upper part of the seats (the seat back) rests fully against the rear bulkhead.

Again, making the new seat assemblies- plywood, 1 x 3 poplar lumber (net 3/4" x 2 1/2"), sheet steel, and steel bar, all bolted together, was a real PITA, but worth it. It's now up to the upholsterer to make them comfortable! The leather (1 large 55 s.f. hide) cost about $400, the stuff to make the seats, around $300 or so, and to have the seats covered (with my leather) around $1000 for the pair. Plus a month of my time. but at least I now have the working patterns. One other benefit- the seats are flatter in profile; the original seats have side bolsters that are fairly steep, and very stiff; so anyone with a wider bottom would not be comfortable in them, as they tend to pinch somewhat. Not now!

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited by Rich S; 03-01-2014 at 07:54 AM. Reason: revised post

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode