Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Monterey, California
Ferrari Life Posts: 124
OK, it's now the first of March, 2014; the new seats are completed, ready to upholster. I sat in the seat with latex foam over the seats, and I do clear the targa top by almost an inch or so. If anyone reading this would like photos I'd be happy to oblige. The original seats are attached to the slides with 2 bolts at the front which attach to vertical tabs, with the bolts being horizontal, and at the rear are bolted from underneath the sliding track into the bottom of the seat. This makes the seat a pain to remove, as all 4 allen bolts have to be accessed and removed, at which point the entire seat assembly comes out, tracks and all. Instead of doing it that way, I removed everything, then bolted the seat tracks to the floor but sans seats, leaving the two threaded tabs at the front sticking up. I then made a bracket to attach to the sliding track which bolts to the seat bottom but is attached to the seat track tabs with clevis pins; easily removed from the front of the seat, which angles up and clears the floor pan by nearly 4 inches. Due to the construction of the seat there's no need to bolt the rear of the seat bottom to the upper track; the seat is only attached to the tracks at the front, with the 2 clevis pins. All this makes it very easy to remove the new seats completely- takes about 30 seconds, leaving the tracks in place. Also the seats can be tilted way up on the front pivots, should something somehow fall under the seats. However, the seats have a fixed rake and cannot be adjusted, other than to place something under the rear of the seat, thus tilting everything up at the rear. The upper part of the seats (the seat back) rests fully against the rear bulkhead.
Again, making the new seat assemblies- plywood, 1 x 3 poplar lumber (net 3/4" x 2 1/2"), sheet steel, and steel bar, all bolted together, was a real PITA, but worth it. It's now up to the upholsterer to make them comfortable! The leather (1 large 55 s.f. hide) cost about $400, the stuff to make the seats, around $300 or so, and to have the seats covered (with my leather) around $1000 for the pair. Plus a month of my time. but at least I now have the working patterns. One other benefit- the seats are flatter in profile; the original seats have side bolsters that are fairly steep, and very stiff; so anyone with a wider bottom would not be comfortable in them, as they tend to pinch somewhat. Not now!
Last edited by Rich S; 03-01-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Reason: revised post