348 TS, engine upgrades - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
348 TS, engine upgrades

Looking at buying a high mileage 348, that needs some engine work. Been following along here as several of you have upgraded your 308 engines. Can similar things be done with the 348 as well to increase HP. Figure if the engine needs to come out, and be rebuilt anyway might as well optimize it while I am at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Yes, many of the same things apply to the 348. The heads are basically the same as the 308 & 328 but do flow a bit better, the 348 cams are a bit better, the 348 intake system is better so there is less opportunity left on the table, but there is definitely opportunity.....50-100hp gain in a naturally aspirated engine without getting crazy and more if you do go crazy, then lots more in a boosted engine.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Wish I knew more, but my two cents

What you don't state is the increase being wanted. Assuming, as you do not state the current HP is wrong, I will assume you mean "what minor changes can be done to increase the HP". This also denotes a cost to benefit ratio: Need to know how 'crazy' you want to go.

ALSO, IF this 348's HP is not suiting your needs and the engine out doesn't phase you then step up to a 355 or better yet, leap up to a 360. The latter being less maintenance costs and a lot more HP, which might just even out your experience costs over a longer haul [something tells me you are trying to get a bargain and boost it rather than make the initial price to get what you are truly looking for---then again I assume ]

Minor changes might get you 10-even-15 HP 'boost' in tweaking some items, but I would think you would need to get into the internals from cams to compression etc, or get 'extra items' on there for much more money.

Lord knows I'm no mech and MK_E and BRIAN would def know more than I spout.

But the tweaks I've read are minor in nature for not much more than a 10% gain. They include better intake flow, exhaust and some 'mapping' nonsense.

IIRC, the competizione model was a 20% gain but did have lighter body parts, only 11 made and not street legal, etc.

Heard of some 'crazy' stuff getting 600HP and tons of torque, but even a VW can turn into a Herbbie.

IF you are actually rebuilding this engine then perhaps more can be done.....also, there are better aftermarked items that are much better than OEM/Ferrari issue and certainly much less money without the horsie stamp.

Example: Dave Helms/SRI makes a better oil pump upgrade that should be considered if doing the internals.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 11-28-2012 at 07:15 AM.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
What type of engine work does the car need? Is she down on compression, using oil, or merely has a misfire and needs some ignition/injection help?

If she needs a major overhaul and you cannot do the work yourself, you could end up with more money in her than she is worth.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 11-28-2012 at 08:07 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Car has about 90k miles, and is burning some oil, So at the very least it needs a set of rings. My thoughts are if I have everything apart, what can I do to improve what was there from the beginning. I am not a Ferrari expert, but was a mechanic in a former life, and have access to a good shop and equipment. All, or most of the work I would do myself, but not looking to recreate the world here!

Was thinking about flow mods, cams, pistons, crank, but really wanted to see what suggestions you guys have. Hypothetically, if it was going to cost an extra $5000 for 10 HP not worth it, but $10,000 for an additional 100 probably would. Personally I love the 348 body style but would like a little more umps. M_ke your suggestion of turbo may be the easiest way. Do you know anyone who has gone this route? Would like to keep the car very driveable so don't want to go way crazy.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
I would contact Paul Newman (Newman here) and see if he has any suggestions. You can probably fit higher compression pistons and slightly wilder cams with no problems, but parts will be expensive. Another source for knowledge and parts might be Carobu Engineering, who hotrod most Ferrari engines.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
Car has about 90k miles, and is burning some oil, So at the very least it needs a set of rings.
Oil consumption can come from valve stem seals and/or worn valve guides as well... don't assume the rings aren't sealing because of that.

There are quite a few diagnostics you definitely should do (such as compression or leak down tests) prior to tearing the engine down.

Edit: However, I am also interested in potential F119 engine upgrades, as I have one that will (eventually) go into a 308.

Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 11-29-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode