Machining Advise? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Machining Advise?

I have a two plate engine to tranny adapter, which I've been advised, has a concentricity problem with the dowels being off by about 0.7mm.

I understand others have fixed these adapters by measuring them with a Faro arm then remachining the dowel holes, and they've advised it's not that difficult (with the right tools & knowhow, of course......)

I've spoken with a couple of machinists here in Houston about doing this, and their response was the proverbial deer in the headlights stare.

Does anyone here have the capability to fix this, or point me in the right direction to someone who can?

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Anyone with a mill should be able to do it. All you do is indicate the part on the table , move to the correct location and bore the hole.

if the pins are just aligning the plates then it's easiest to get oversize pins but if these are engine or trans pins you'l need to either make a step pin or bush your plates to fit the original size. None of this should be hard or require any fancy equipment.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
Anyone with a mill should be able to do it. All you do is indicate the part on the table , move to the correct location and bore the hole.

if the pins are just aligning the plates then it's easiest to get oversize pins but if these are engine or trans pins you'l need to either make a step pin or bush your plates to fit the original size. None of this should be hard or require any fancy equipment.
Meaning take to a machinist that knows what hes doing.

BG

If you think you can't you wont, if you think you can, you will

post #4 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
had this exact same problem couple weeks ago. I suggest you obtain the correct tool or take to someone who knows how to measure....not that difficult but does require a 'nice hand'.

Wound up making new dowel holes in our case = easiest solution.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Thanks for the replies, yes, these are the engine/bellhousing dowel holes. Offset dowels might correct the problem, but I don't know that anyone makes 10mm diameter offset dowels, and I don't think I have enough "meat" in the castings to go to 1/2" dowels.

Here's a couple of pics showing the the problem (as found by others), and their fix. It appears the holes weren't even consistently off in one direction, so that would make the offset dowel solution even messier...

Guess I'll need to get the adapter mounted on the engine then check its alignment & concentricity with a dial indicator, then do the same with the bellhousing added on. Some people are saying they've not had any problems - but they may not have checked alignment either.....

It's a Japanese engine & a Getrag tranny, so I'm not expecting to find those two pieces too far out.
Attached Images

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode