Update on the hoodrat gt4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Update on the hoodrat gt4

Putting the interior back together the way I want to in this thing. It was "rode hard and put up wet" as they say. This will be mainly an autox/mountain run car definitely not a show car on my budget (could you tell?) . New sound deadening- Maybe I'll put in carpet then again maybe not. Refinished the steering wheel and two Momo seats (cloth and suede). Its still filthy but coming together believe it or not. This site has been a big help in just getting ideas on things. I wish I could do a "Newman" like restoration but this car was so ragged out it wouldn't be worth it. SO.... it's slow going but you guys are a great motivation for me and I thank you for that.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
Looks good to me.

Anything special in the motor department?
post #3 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
Looks good to me.

Anything special in the motor department?

Nothing special there. I'm focusing more on cooling, brakes, and just plain making it presentable.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
go all the way on ratting this. boost the engine too.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Excellent, Jay! This thing is going to be a hoot. Every once in awhile I think about making a Scuderia version out of my 308, but then I shy away since I'll still want it to be OK on a roadtrip.
post #6 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Haha I don't know about boost, little too much money that I don't want to spend in that dept.

Oh and Bret I still plan on driving this on a roadtrip too. It will be uncomfortable and loud....but it will be in a Ferrari!
post #7 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post

Oh and Bret I still plan on driving this on a roadtrip too. It will be uncomfortable and loud....but it will be in a Ferrari!
I am so glad you said that +1!
post #8 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Good to see the progress Jay.

The little GT4 will be up and running and delighting its owner, soon I hope.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #9 of 32 Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
I am so glad you said that +1!

Agreed. Hey, if Jay's ever cruising around northern NJ, I know a good place to stop and say hi.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post

Agreed. Hey, if Jay's ever cruising around northern NJ, I know a good place to stop and say hi.

Sounds good to me although I always get in trouble trying to pump my own gas in that state. LOL I have forgotten twice and recieved a nice lecture.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Sounds good to me although I always get in trouble trying to pump my own gas in that state. LOL I have forgotten twice and recieved a nice lecture.
Oh, the mandatory full service gas drives me nuts. I know we typically have some of the lowest gas prices in the nation, but it's so annoying sometimes when you just want to get out and pump the gas yourself and get on your way.
post #12 of 32 Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Owner

What are you guys talking about??

I love it when i drive thru Jersey and they pump my gas. I feel like a big shot.

I pull in and say to the guy "fill it up with the cheap stuff and here's a couple of bucks for cleaning my windshield with that dirty water."

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.

Last edited by Pizzaman; 05-25-2012 at 04:18 PM.
post #13 of 32 Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner

From Webster:

Blasphemy - the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for a religious deity or the irreverence towards religious or holy persons or things.

That being said my car should be a parts car. It's rusty, the motor and trans were junk, paint sucks, and it has 105,000 miles and 36 hard years on everything.

Looking at my options, it made absolutely ZERO sense to throw a used 308 motor and trans in this thing. It adds no value to an already worn out version of a model so few care about when I'm just going to beat on it. I decided to go a different route when powering this thing, no doubt a route I felt bad sharing on here given what the reactions may be, BUT alas here it is.

The car is getting a 2.0 Turbo Subaru STi motor and transmission with a subarugears.com locking spool to convert to rwd. Also from subarugears are the axle flange adapters. It has a larger fuel pump and boost controller which will bring me to the 300 whp/300 wh tq neighborhood. As for the sound and aesthetics.....well there were boxer Ferrari's in the past. The gt4 wasn't one of them but it's not a completely batsh*t idea given the layout. It's a semi popular swap with 914 guys so I'm not in completely uncharted waters.

Here's a video of an autocrossing 914 with the same setup:
http://youtu.be/yor2_4Acqlo

Lastly, I'm not ruining some treasured car. This car was a POS that you wouldn't have wanted anyway. If I restored it to original, you likely wouldn't have wanted it then either. I'm doing this with the goal of getting on the track with less than (or equal to) $10k in a Ferrari including the cost of the car. Maybe it's not a real Ferrari anymore. Maybe you should take the owner tag off my avatar. It's a Fubaru now, or maybe it's a Surrari. Not sure yet.

Anyway I'd like to get another honest to God Ferrari powered Ferrari someday as a street car to cruise around in. Something like a 456 but for now a gt4 I can beat on and not care about hurting it's resale value is a fun prospect.

Anyway, flame on and here are some pictures of what I'm doing so far:
Attached Images

Last edited by JayG; 10-13-2012 at 12:44 PM.
post #14 of 32 Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Jay, I think it's a pretty cool idea, although I'm not a fan of the Subaru motor's sound.

At least you're not putting a SBC in there

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #15 of 32 Old 10-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
You got a project going there bud! If I can make a suggestion, in my 308 GT4 I cut out the firewall behind the rear seat, kept the piece I cut out and made a hatch so when you remove the rear seat you unscrew the hatch and bingo everything is on the ferrari motor that is hard to get to is staring at you.

Also if thats a JDM motor, I have the program that will get you up and running with electromotive, just put a TEC2 4 cylinder unit with MSD DIS4 to drive the coils. I put one of these in my camper, it has AC, PWR steering, cruise control and to much HP. It tore out the CV joints the first trip out so I dropped the boost down to 8 lbs. Very good motors and very cheap. If you want that program email me and I will send it to you. You can't put a lot of timing in these beast.

I will say this will be a first. Did you consider a Cadillac northstar with front wheel drive? I am not sure how your going to get the power layed down, whats your idea?
Attached Images

post #16 of 32 Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
You got a project going there bud! If I can make a suggestion, in my 308 GT4 I cut out the firewall behind the rear seat, kept the piece I cut out and made a hatch so when you remove the rear seat you unscrew the hatch and bingo everything is on the ferrari motor that is hard to get to is staring at you.

Also if thats a JDM motor, I have the program that will get you up and running with electromotive, just put a TEC2 4 cylinder unit with MSD DIS4 to drive the coils. I put one of these in my camper, it has AC, PWR steering, cruise control and to much HP. It tore out the CV joints the first trip out so I dropped the boost down to 8 lbs. Very good motors and very cheap. If you want that program email me and I will send it to you. You can't put a lot of timing in these beast.

I will say this will be a first. Did you consider a Cadillac northstar with front wheel drive? I am not sure how your going to get the power layed down, whats your idea?
Sweet VW! I actually did have the firewall cut into an access panel and have the piece to put on again. I converted this to 1 belt for the alternator and ditched PS and a/c. I just didn't want the aded weight and complexity.

I bought the front clip so I have the factory ecu, wiring , ignition .... etc etc so the plan is just leave it stock for now and then start tinkering later with ECU tuning. If you could pm your email I'd love to look at the maps for it.

This is a JDM motor/trans setup and I was able to sell the body parts, rhd stuff, brakes etc etc. and get all but $800 bucks back out of it. Much better than any other alternative really. I thought about the Northstar but tuneabilty and the aftermarket just isn't there and really don't know what trans I'd want to run.

The Subaru setup will use the modern gearing and reliability of the stock jdm transmission. I'll be rigging up some shifter cables for it if I can't get the Ferrari linkage to snake underneath it with some modification.
Here's a picture of the rear blockoff plate on a swap in a 914:

The axle flanges are the same as a 930 Porsche and I'm hoping there will be more wheel spin than breaking axles.

Yeah, it's definitely a project but I'm having fun with it so far. I'm going to SEMA in a few weeks so maybe I can go more ideas out there on what to do with this thing.
post #17 of 32 Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 AM
Owner

Jay, that's some wild and crazy project you got going.
post #18 of 32 Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Almost ready to fire it up. I'll tidy everything up once its running.

Video of the limited slip action through the trans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEqaA7GQZE

post #19 of 32 Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Owner

Excellent!!
post #20 of 32 Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
You have made some progress there my friend you've been busy!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode