Machining question for the techies - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Machining question for the techies

I am getting some billet parst made for mt 1988 Testarossa. I am keeping the original hubs untouched. The single bolt wheels and hubs have been removed and 20" HRE wheels with a 5 bolt pattern will be replacing them. Along with billet hubs in the front and rear of the car. I have been engineering this to use the original bearings seals and bushings so oem parts can be used along with the original half shafts in the back.
4340 has been used for the hubs and will have a 46 rockwell applied after the splines are cut. This is where the problem lies, i can't find a cutter to match the oem spline pitch, i am hoping for some help to find the correct cutter instead of complcating the process with making a cutter or doing mutiple passes only to error in cutting. 1/10 thousands of an inch in over cut would cause extra wear and imbalance, need some leads guys on tool cutter suppliers.

Does anyone know what the pitch of the splines are for a spline cutter, i am getting billet hubs made for a conversion. I can't locate a 14 by 30 degree cutter, any one have an idea of the exact cutter tool or where i can go to locate the right cutting tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I have had luck in the past calling MSC and asking them to find a cutter for me that they didn't list in there catalog. That is where I'd start.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I am no expert on this . Brian being the correct person to answer and taz having some documents, also . and I hate being an internet junkie dispensing poor information , but if it were possible to change the front wheel bearings to non OEM you might be better off cost wise . Front wheel bearings on the TR, F40 and 348 series were the most expensive in that era. 1 bearing cost today between 900 to 1,200 dollars each if you can find them . then again keeping it simple for your project make sense .

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 04-30-2012 at 05:15 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

I am using the oem bearings and seals since i have them sitting on the shelf and don't want to give headaches to the next person that owns the car.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Attached are the blanks ready for cutting the splines, pardon for the poor Iphone pictures
Attached Images

Last edited by mouser57; 05-01-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode