McMaster Carr Have Cut Me Off - Now Happy Ending - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
McMaster Carr Have Cut Me Off - Now Happy Ending

I'm devastated - all of you DIY'ers here in the USA know how critical McMasters is to supplying every little thing we need for our projects, whether they're car related or home related. They're the very epitome of great service.... And I've just been cut off by them after probably 12-15 years of continuous business.

Why?

Well, I logged into my account when I was over in Algeria to purchase some items so I'd have them waiting for me when I arrived back home in Houston, and it seems they have a zero tolerance internal rule that they will not take a chance on someone exporting their goods without being a licensed exporter. So they looked at the number of times I've logged into my account from overseas (by tracking the IP addresses) and said "You're Fired!" I spoke with them this morning, and their decision is final, and there's no appeal. (But I'm still going to write some letters to them)

Moral of the story:

NEVER log into your McMaster account from anywhere outside the USA!!!

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Can't you just re-apply for a new logon with your wife's name or something?

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #3 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
WTF is that?????

post #4 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Duuuude. That sucks!

post #5 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Owner

i wonder if we need am email campaign?....... or if that would get us all cut off?
post #6 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Can't you just re-apply for a new logon with your wife's name or something?
Looking into "something"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Duuuude. That sucks!
No joke, Josh. I think I'd almost rather lose a kidney than lose access to McMaster. Really, half the fun of working on these cars is seeing what the UPS guy dropped off today from them. You guys outside the USA have no idea what a great supplier they are, and how good their customer service is, and generally how indispensable they are for hotrodders like us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
i wonder if we need am email campaign?....... or if that would get us all cut off?
I wouldn't chance it - I think they gave me their version of the truth, but there's probably more that they're not saying. Perhaps they're also looking to cut out the smaller customers and become more like Grainger. That's just speculation on my part, though.

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

post #7 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Write an email to their customer assistance center explaining the exact situation and that you'd like them to reconsider. Detail out that the shipping address was your home in Houston, etc. despite you logging in from abroad, how long you've been a customer, how active you are in the car communities, etc.

Then fire up the old printer and take the email and copy and paste the text into a letter. Snail mail the letter to their headquarters address to the attention of the president (according to bloomberg it's James A. Delaney III).
McMaster-Carr Supply Company: CEO and Executives - Businessweek
James Delaney: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek.

Large companies sometimes have well-intentioned polices that are unfortunately enforced by stupid people. Almost all of those companies are still managed by very intelligent folks though. A company as large as McMaster will have protocols to follow that are different for letters mailed to the president as opposed to simply called into their CAC. So, if the CAC email doesn't work the letter to the president should take care of it.

It might take some time - a few weeks or a month - but they'll reinstate you.

Last edited by bretm; 04-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Bret, thanks for your input, and we think alike

I'd already found the info for Mr. Delaney and some of the other line managers of the company, and the letters are in progress.

I'm still just stunned that they decided to take this action unilaterally, without any discussion, and have indicated politely, but quite firmly, there is no recourse. And it was their export compliance officer that I spoke with this morning, not just a typical young sh*t hot salesman.

We shall see.......

post #9 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I'm curious how an email address qualifies as distinguishing you as an export company. I assume the credit card you're paying with uses an American address, which is managed by an American bank, the products are purchased from an American company...AND sent to an American residential address.

At which stage is the item exported?!?!

Maybe it's time to move on from the car hobby and start getting into exporting cashier's checks...

post #10 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
if the easy route doesn't product how about a one-week to one-month boycott of no purchases?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
if the easy route doesn't product how about a one-week to one-month boycott of no purchases?

Rik, they are a commercial supplier, I understand the frustration but they have a policy and that is one way they are weeding out business they are not interested in serving. They are a supplier I almost never use but I understand they are important to some. Some of the suppliers I do use make you jump through as many hoops as getting your first home loan in order to give you the privilege of giving them your money. And many suppliers I would like to use have barriers small shops like me cannot satisfy. Every business has its market niche and I respect that even if often I don't like it.
Do you want to boycott me because I don't work on Buicks? Its not really any different.
post #12 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I'm curious how an email address qualifies as distinguishing you as an export company. I assume the credit card you're paying with uses an American address, which is managed by an American bank, the products are purchased from an American company...AND sent to an American residential address.

At which stage is the item exported?!?!

Maybe it's time to move on from the car hobby and start getting into exporting cashier's checks...
Josh, they made an assumption about me and what I'm likely to do, based simply on the IP addresses I've used for logging on to my account in the past. It's true that I've logged into my account many times while I've been in Algeria, the UK and France, so they're assuming that at some point, since I travel to these places frequently, that I'll be trying to export (smuggle) some of the stuff I've bought from them there. This is a federal offense, and not only can I be fined/imprisoned, but more importantly (for them), they can be fined, and have been in the past.

Talk about profiling your customers and jumping to illogical conclusions!!!

"I don't want to do business with you because you visited my website from an IP address outside the USA."

Never mind that I "might" have been bored to tears watching my kids torment each other on the beach in Mexico so I decided to place an order for some 1/4" ally plate to be delivered to my home in Houston so it'll be there when I get back from the wife & kids' vacation, and have some time to myself to do some enjoyable fabrication work. Does that mean I'm likely to smuggle this aluminum plate into Mexico? In their mind it does!

post #13 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I don't know your local laws - but there are laws that protect you as a customer.

No company has the right to terminate you as a customer based on an assumption without a chance to cure.

The account should have gone to review and given you a chance to cure the situation.
post #14 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
Cribbi has helped me a lot finding pieces

Hi John,you are so much help to me.I got 8 short busa cop's and you sent me a busa long.The shorts are W/B tops the longs W/Blue. ,,,,The shorts fit. Question? Where do I get connecters for the zuki cops?,,,#2?,,,,,that red cop bootie is perfect,I cant find it from your link......I will pass on John's sample busa cop/w/bootie to the next project dude....Thank's JC,hope your not on the ndaa list.......ps Im saving a fortune weldind with kerosine!
post #15 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
...Talk about profiling your customers and jumping to illogical conclusions!!!

"I don't want to do business with you because you visited my website from an IP address outside the USA."...
That is a heck of a conclusion to jump to. The only time I've had to contact their customer service they were super-helpful. So, I've still got my fingers crossed that it works out for you.

On this topic though, what other sites do you guys use for ordering raw materials and the various stuff that you weld, machine, etc. into parts? Small metal pieces, fittings, etc. Admittedly, I too use McMaster for a lot of items. For a weekend-DIYer, they're tough to beat.
post #16 of 38 Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
I don't know your local laws - but there are laws that protect you as a customer.

No company has the right to terminate you as a customer based on an assumption without a chance to cure.
Is that true? I'm asking, not challenging. I thought that a private company (which I assume McMaster Carr is) could refuse service to anyone for any reason. ???

I'll say that I agree with how much this'd suck though..... I've had race weekends where I broke something on friday, and McMaster Carr (and Fedex) delivered what I needed saturday morning so I could be back on the track.
they are a FANTASTIC supplier.
post #17 of 38 Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Is that true? I'm asking, not challenging. I thought that a private company (which I assume McMaster Carr is) could refuse service to anyone for any reason. ???

I'll say that I agree with how much this'd suck though..... I've had race weekends where I broke something on friday, and McMaster Carr (and Fedex) delivered what I needed saturday morning so I could be back on the track.
they are a FANTASTIC supplier.

I did not look up their sales policy - but unless is states this event clearly they are not afforded the ability to enforce it.

My guess is they have a policy - many companies don't export as it's not worth the headache.

I could see them rejecting an order but not closing an account.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/tech/privacy.shtm
post #18 of 38 Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Doug, they haven't closed my account per se, they just won't accept any orders in the future from me unless/until I get this sorted.

I can still login and review my old orders.

post #19 of 38 Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Owner

Quote:
Doug, they haven't closed my account per se, they just won't accept any orders in the future from me unless/until I get this sorted.

I can still login and review my old orders.
After a quick google search you are not alone.

The search brought up other customers of the company who have experienced the same situation.

One had written the President as it is a family owned and operated resulting in re-opening the account after review.

I had a family owned distribution business and we came across these situations periodically so I find your situation very interesting.
post #20 of 38 Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Owner

Quote:
This is a federal offense, and not only can I be fined/imprisoned, but more importantly (for them), they can be fined, and have been in the past.
This is the part that set this who mess in motion.......

We're dealing with something very similar in my industry. We are regulated but the law specifically excludes our suppliers from the regulations. However, someone recently realized that since they can regulate us, they can require us to do basically anything they say, like to require us to enforce the regulations on our suppliers and as of last year that is exactly what we are required to do. This means a lot of extra costs for us to create our own little "FDA field office" and it also means that we have no choice but to drop suppliers who are not interested in conforming to regulations which they believe do not apply to them or allowing us to have audit power in their facility. It's a very expensive mess.

This is teetering on political so I'll drop it here, my point was this type of unilateral thing is now becoming quite common because it's the easiest way forward when regulations are involved.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode