Griffin universal radiator replacement - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Griffin universal radiator replacement

Almost done swapping over the radiator to a Griffin universal, 16x26x3 in. Some tweaking needed but shouldn't be that big of a deal. This is $185 at Summit racing and weighs almost nothing. The factory radiator weighs SO much that the weight difference by itself is almost worth it. No weird angles so far to mount it. You will have to weld up the overflow to run it.

This is for my 308 gt4 but you get the idea for other 308s.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayG; 04-01-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
That is exact,,,,Grazie

A new rad for $200........At that price you can change them out like air filters on 458's.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Thanks for sharing this ... thats how much I paid to have my stock one repaired!

cheers!

post #4 of 16 Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Great thread indeed. I've also put at least that much into my stock radiator over the years.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-01-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Granted, I'm ditching the a/c so I can't say how it would work with that BUT it has to weigh 20 lbs less than than stock and it's a 3 in thick Griffin that will outflow and out cool the stock junk. I've used them in the past on many different applications and I've always been pleased. It's not for the purist but I hope this will help some people.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Side note, if somebody doesn't want to modify their car and wants to stay stock, my factory radiator it is on ebay, Item number: 290695670520. Ends in a day or so. Thanks
post #7 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 382
Where are you putting the fan switch? And are you just going to run a second radiator cap on the radiator itself there?

I thought long and hard about doing the same thing but ultimately decided while I wanted better cooling, I wanted it to look somewhat stock and be able to retain the ac condensor. I have to say though, they cool TONSSSS better than the stock 'thing' although it's a bit more than triple the price! Nice job though!
post #8 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraripilot View Post
Where are you putting the fan switch? And are you just going to run a second radiator cap on the radiator itself there?

I thought long and hard about doing the same thing but ultimately decided while I wanted better cooling, I wanted it to look somewhat stock and be able to retain the ac condensor. I have to say though, they cool TONSSSS better than the stock 'thing' although it's a bit more than triple the price! Nice job though!

I am running a permacool electric fan with a thermostat and I am not using the stock expansion tank but my own up front. It seems with a/c and being diligent you could make it all work but I won't be using it in this car anyway.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I am running a permacool electric fan with a thermostat and I am not using the stock expansion tank but my own up front. It seems with a/c and being diligent you could make it all work but I won't be using it in this car anyway.

Understood. These radiators cool tons better when the a/c condensor is not in front of them anyway. I literally cannot force my 308 to overheat now. I'm thinking of sourcing a 328 ac condensor or searching for a condensor I can basically place somewhere else other than right in front of the radiator. 328s naturally in stock form cool soooo much better mostly because of this.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraripilot View Post
Understood. These radiators cool tons better when the a/c condensor is not in front of them anyway. I literally cannot force my 308 to overheat now. I'm thinking of sourcing a 328 ac condensor or searching for a condensor I can basically place somewhere else other than right in front of the radiator. 328s naturally in stock form cool soooo much better mostly because of this.
i bought vintage air condenser that fit the shape of my new radiator properly....like 8 years ago and still haven't actually tried it but it looks like it would work well.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
i bought vintage air condenser that fit the shape of my new radiator properly....like 8 years ago and still haven't actually tried it but it looks like it would work well.
Yeah alot of hot rod guys that put a/c on 32 fords etc have them that look nice and in custom sizes.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post

good stuff. thanks Mark.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Just need the mounting brackets installed but here is my setup so far.
Attached Images

post #14 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Looking good! If you weren't going to ditch the A/C, would you still have room for the condenser?
post #15 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Looking good! If you weren't going to ditch the A/C, would you still have room for the condenser?
Yeah you would still have room for one. One thing I did was instead of putting on the permacool fan I went went a late model Ford Taurus fan. They pull a very high CFM and it just fit surface area better. BUT it was too deep so I did have to cut some of the fiberglass out of the spare tire bulge. I'm think about putting a suitcase shaped 10 gal fuel cell in that spot anyway.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 113
very nice cooler, and cheap!

i looked for an aftermarket one myself buy couldn't find a prper one, i guess have had to look harder. I ended up with one of a Mercedes 190 2.5 diesel which comes very close too ( and is also as a cheap aftermarket one available.

Yours does look better however..

currently a '87 euro 328gts, a '83 euro 308gts and 2x 308gtb. (and still some old Audi's)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you only have them to look at, buy a poster!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode