MSD Tach Adapter with Electromotive - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 86
MSD Tach Adapter with Electromotive

How did you guys wire your MSD Tach adapter with Electromotive Tec GT. Thanks guys.

MSD-----
red------switched 12v
black----ground
white----brown wire on tec gt
violet----brown/black (tack wire in trunk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Is this correct for the MSD?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Yeah that sounds right but double check the trunk ... it's obvious in the workshop manual and I can double check ... I just did this on 308 #2 and I think it's the second pin from one end on the connector for the rear bank digiplex.

I just got the stock tach working on my other 308 with multiple tach boxes because the inexpensive Haltech ECU I'm using does not have a scaleable tach output, so I was getting double the reading.

I had bought one of the Dakota Digital tach adapters to scale the output but the stock tach would not read the output ... I hooked the MSD box up after the DD box and that has got my tach working. I did this because I realized I don't like pushing near redline without looking at a tach ... feels almost like driving blind . On 308 #1 I replaced the tach with an aftermarket unit but now I've got a solution I can put the stock one back in there ... was hoping Mke would have his new ECU done so I wouldn't have to worry about all this .

HTH ... and BTW luv your big brake upgrade!

Cheers!

Sean

post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Brings back old memories. In 1980 I bought a 1970 Fiat Dino 2400 GT that was missing its Dinoplex and, naturally, the tach was inop. I bought an MSD unit, hooked up the tach output and she worked like a champ. Could not believe how much smoother the engine ran with the MSD unit compared to points only. Here she is on the lemon lot at RAF Lakenheath, with her replacement behind her.
Attached Images

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
...Here she is on the lemon lot at RAF Lakenheath, with her replacement behind her.
The 308 is such a darn good looking car. Taz, you've got some seriously cool memories and it's awefully nice that you share them with the rest of us.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

What a great group!!!
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Bret- When you get relatively old, you have memories. The Admiral outdoes me at every turn, but he has been around even longer.

She was a mean 308 with no A/C, the 285 hp engine, sports exhaust and the 16" wheels.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydynes View Post

I just got the stock tach working on my other 308 with multiple tach boxes because the inexpensive Haltech ECU I'm using does not have a scaleable tach output, so I was getting double the reading.

... was hoping Mke would have his new ECU done so I wouldn't have to worry about all this .

Cheers!

Sean
Which haltech are you using? I'm sure the ones I"ve had (e6k and E11) ask who many pulses per rev I wanted o the tach setup??

My tach died and cheapo me went and bought a cheap new tach, pulled out the gut and stuffed them into the original tach housing.

Was far as the new ecu goes, it would be done if you'd start helping
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
Which haltech are you using? I'm sure the ones I"ve had (e6k and E11) ask who many pulses per rev I wanted o the tach setup??

My tach died and cheapo me went and bought a cheap new tach, pulled out the gut and stuffed them into the original tach housing.

Was far as the new ecu goes, it would be done if you'd start helping
E6x ... the really cheap one that "won't do" what I've been doing for 6 years .

Explain more about what you did with the tach? You mean you used the Ferrari needle and dial with guts out of a different tach? ... what a great idea.

You keep telling me your almost done on the ECU ... thought I was just supposed to make sure you got it right ... ha ha ... okay that's just silly ... I'll see what I can do ... is that happening on another forum still? You know I'm a weenie about registering and posting on new forums .

cheers
post #10 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydynes View Post

Explain more about what you did with the tach? You mean you used the Ferrari needle and dial with guts out of a different tach? ... what a great idea.
exactly. it was a SUN if I recall. I had to move the screw holes in the face and fill the old holes (black rtv) and I think I glued the needle and then a slight tweak to the calibration pot to get it reading right. I messed with for an afternoon before everything was right and I had a working tach .... with a 4/6/8 cyl selection knob
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
exactly. it was a SUN if I recall. I had to move the screw holes in the face and fill the old holes (black rtv) and I think I glued the needle and then a slight tweak to the calibration pot to get it reading right. I messed with for an afternoon before everything was right and I had a working tach .... with a 4/6/8 cyl selection knob
Unfortunately for you, it doesn't have a v12 selection knob...
And how is the ecu project coming?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spang308 View Post
Unfortunately for you, it doesn't have a v12 selection knob...
And how is the ecu project coming?
Well, the motec that's on the self has a pulses per rev setting so any of the 4/6/8 set points will work.

My custom ecu also is progressing slower than I'd hoped but it is moving and of course "has" a progressing...if by has we assume will have when it's actually finished. I do have mostly assembled hardware sitting on the bench waiting for me to actually finish assembling it so that's something.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode