330 P4 Replica - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 Old 03-26-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 41
330 P4 Replica

Thought some of you would like this replica that I'm building. The painted car is the first car that I built.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari 330 p/4 View Post
Thought some of you would like this replica that I'm building...
I'm pretty sure that if we had an award for understatement of the year, you would have just won it.
post #3 of 106 Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Welcome and please tell us more about the car.e.g motor to be used who is the maker?etc etc.
Well done on the paint job. Looks like a BOAC car run by Maranelo?

post #4 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Welcome and please tell us more about the car.e.g motor to be used who is the maker?
Yes details please. Now ideally you're going to tell us it's getting a Ferrari engine but regardless it an interesting project.
post #5 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 03:19 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
You posted this same subject on Ferrari Chat, with the same pictures.
The car is also currently listed on Ebay for sale as an unpainted kit.

Replica/Kit Makes Replica/Kit Makes | eBay

Are you building this car or selling it? And what's the story on the painted car? Did you finish that one?
post #6 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmade View Post
You posted this same subject on Ferrari Chat, with the same pictures.
The car is also currently listed on Ebay for sale as an unpainted kit.

Replica/Kit Makes Replica/Kit Makes | eBay

Are you building this car or selling it? And what's the story on the painted car? Did you finish that one?
The ebay ad makes it sound like there are 2 cars and also says that is an aluminum body?

Are you using the same chassis as pictured on ebay?

It appears it will have some torsional issues locally at the shock/spring mounts and end to end, have you done any analysis or measured the torsional stiffness?
post #7 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

P/4

The car can take different drivetrains depending on budget. The red car was sold as a roller. The primed car is the only one for sale. The chassis will have to be finished when the drivetrain, radiator and a few other things are determined. My goal is to have a starting point where someone with the funds can finsh. I also made the body from aluminum.
post #8 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari 330 p/4 View Post
The car can take different drivetrains depending on budget. The red car was sold as a roller. The primed car is the only one for sale. The chassis will have to be finished when the drivetrain, radiator and a few other things are determined. My goal is to have a starting point where someone with the funds can finsh. I also made the body from aluminum.
So you're not building the car you're selling the project as is?

I'm sure you know there is a lot more than budget that determines what drivetrains can be used. Was it designed for anything in particular length/height/width/weight/power wise?
post #9 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 382
Interesting. Keep us updated
post #10 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

If I had a choice I would put a later model Ferrari V12 in it with a porsche g50 transaxle and make it work. The dimensions including track width are very close to the original, so I would guess it would fit. The engine in the original car was used as a structural part of the chassis. This car will need a bolt in frame over the motor and transaxle as well as some other added tubes in front.
post #11 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this car? road car?

the real one is really only good as a vintage racer and show car. neither of which this would be. It wouldn't be eligible for vintage races and would get crushed in any other class. It also would not be allowed on any worthwhile show field. I imagine it wouldn't be that fun as a road car either, if it was allowed on the road at all.

What would be the purpose of this car?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #12 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Thanks for posting - why not toss a 612 under it
post #13 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of this car? road car?

the real one is really only good as a vintage racer and show car. neither of which this would be. It wouldn't be eligible for vintage races and would get crushed in any other class. It also would not be allowed on any worthwhile show field. I imagine it wouldn't be that fun as a road car either, if it was allowed on the road at all.

What would be the purpose of this car?
I would drive it on the street if it can be registered.
post #14 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I would drive it on the street if it can be registered.
Ditto that and pretty sure if I was in last place on the track my smile would offset any ill feelings.
post #15 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm sure it can be registered just like all the other home built cars being registered every year. I think the car will drive pretty good when completed and I also think it is the most menacing looking car to exist. It will definetly put a smile on someone's face.
post #16 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
greetings 2006Scinta

Your posts are Vinteresting and I want you to answer questions and offer solutions,,,Your craftmanship is much appreciated,,,,There are very few Ferrari Men on this forum that could take what you offer and make it happen,a runner.......bob norwood gets who knows how much for his P4.....I think that there are 3 really ambitious,skilled and capable craftsmen on FL that could handle this project properly,,,,BUT,,those 3 could tackle the job for a customer!!,,,, I read up on censure nwo chat today and P4 replica is WAY COOL!,,,Im glad you posted,I wanted to hear mk e, 2175 and Lucky comment.,,,Newman would assemble it for a customer but it would have to be canadian yellow,LOL,,,,more pics 2006Scinta!!,,grazie reggazz
post #17 of 106 Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Owner

Where did you get those wheels?

2006Scinta, Please show us your shop and tools,Your are a great Artisan!!,,,on mk e's 275GTB thread motorheads have asked about alloy bodies.,,,mk e is post spaceage but ,,,You could do a n alloy 275GTS/4 NART Im sure.Are you a master welder/machineist like the Big 3?....Do you have wooden P4 bucks? grazie,regga
post #18 of 106 Old 03-28-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

I am actually just a beginner. I am building them in my garage with limited tools. I have only built two cars so far. I am going to build a Maserati 450 S next. I did build a buck for the P/4. If I had the money I would finish it and then put it on the site, just not the case. I bought the wheels from someone who had them for a long time. I think he got them from Tom Shawnessy,not sure on spelling about 25 years ago.
post #19 of 106 Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Owner

Strip off that grey primer

Hey Man,takes a lot of guts to put the coin out there to try to make a rightous ride.I would like to see it stripped.,,,,,,,bare metal,,clean,, and see some close up pics of the work like the pro's post,grazie,,ps those wheels are worth a bunch,your next project could be Preston Henn's 275GTB LM on a 456,,dont paint it yellow
post #20 of 106 Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Owner

Whats going on?

Are you making any progress?..Yours is a very idealistic endevor,,,,I would like to see close up pics of your workmanship,,grazie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode