Restoring Wiring Harnesses - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Restoring Wiring Harnesses

Often times, the wiring harness for an old car is incredibly difficult to restore or replace. I would like to let everyone know that if they are in need of restoring a wiring harness for their car, we can take care of it if you are having some troubles. As heard in the following video, "it is very hard to tell the difference between a Motion Products wiring harness and the original."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
it is very hard to tell the difference between a Motion Products wiring harness and the original."

Your product cant be that bad
Italian electrics are the worst in the world
post #3 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiganut View Post
Italian electrics are the worst in the world
You my friend have never driven an Audi in the rain...

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
or anything English
post #5 of 19 Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I don't know that there is enough original non-hacked up wiring in a vintage Ferrari to verify that statement, LOL. That setup looks excellent, very high quality piece. I would've liked to have seen something a bit more informative though.

post #6 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Good point,had an S6 Avante,rear washer pipe broke,had to replace all the sound system,sat nav & computer.Cost about 7000
post #7 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
I hate fiddling with wiring, fuze blocks, etc. Reminds me too much of our 77 Scirocco, which left us trapped at major ports all around the world.

Looks like MP has an organized system and the work looks first class. Anybody but me to do that kind of work.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
I don't know that there is enough original non-hacked up wiring in a vintage Ferrari to verify that statement, LOL. That setup looks excellent, very high quality piece. I would've liked to have seen something a bit more informative though.

Yes. Thanks for the posting, looks well done. I too would like to have seen some interim steps leading to the final show as well as what products were used to replicate the car's older specs.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 03:02 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Ferrari wiring harness restoration

Check these photos for the best wiring harness anywhere. Period correct made of superior quality products and craftsmanship. Depicted in photos is a 1966 330 GTC Ferrari Wiring and last one is for a before and after on a 1973 365 Daytona. The wire stripping and coloring as well as the soldered brass connectors are of the highest quality. It does not get any better than this. Made in the USA and sold worldwide.
Attached Images

Last edited by classicwiring.com; 11-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM

More Photos of other projects

Currently, working on a number of Ferrari 250 PF and Zagato body harnesses and will post more photos. Here are some from a 250 GTB recreation that was fitted with a period correct wiring harness.

Lionel

www.classicwiring.com
Attached Images

post #11 of 19 Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Looks like both of you know what you are doing, but MP has won at Pebble a few times. Like I said, anybody but me.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Looks like both of you know what you are doing, but MP has won at Pebble a few times. Like I said, anybody but me.
Thank you tazandjan for the kind words, I'm sure the craftsmen over at classicwiring.com do a great job as well.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-12-2011, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
We can see if we can make it a bit more informative. Would you like to see a bit more of the process and story that goes into the recreation?
post #14 of 19 Old 11-12-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post

I have not taken any cars to Pebble Beach since I only manufacture wiring harnesses since 1983. However, a good number of my harnesses have ben installed on Pebble Beach participants as well as other well known Concourse events. Also involved with metal fabrication and auto restoration for a couple of years now. Here is some of our work. The entire car went through a laborious hand planishing process to smooth out all the surfaces. My motto: "Bondo verboten"

Lionel
Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com
Attached Images

post #15 of 19 Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Some of you were asking for a bit more information so we went back and tried to put something together that would explain the process a little bit more. As far as specific items used to recreate the wiring harness - most of it is recreated in-house.

The first video is about the wiring harness restoration process (more explained) and the second video is about how we recreate parts for the old classics when there are no longer any replacements being made.

Thanks for all of the feedback! Keep it coming.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Great update!

Did MP work on that blue GTO at the end of the first video? I remember 3445 very well, that was the first GTO I had ever seen in the flesh. At that time it was tucked away in a very small museum in Tokyo. Literally sat in that space for 1 hour and never did anyone else venture in.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Great update!

Did MP work on that blue GTO at the end of the first video? I remember 3445 very well, that was the first GTO I had ever seen in the flesh. At that time it was tucked away in a very small museum in Tokyo. Literally sat in that space for 1 hour and never did anyone else venture in.
Thank you Andrew, and yes MPI did work on that GTO seen there. I would post the video on here about it but I don't want to put it on here if it's unrelated to the thread. I'll just give you the link to the video: MPI - 250 GTO Restoration
post #18 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicwiring.com View Post
I have not taken any cars to Pebble Beach since I only manufacture wiring harnesses since 1983. However, a good number of my harnesses have ben installed on Pebble Beach participants as well as other well known Concourse events. Also involved with metal fabrication and auto restoration for a couple of years now. Here is some of our work. The entire car went through a laborious hand planishing process to smooth out all the surfaces. My motto: "Bondo verboten"

Lionel
Auto Italia Sportiva / Classicwiring.com
Lionel, nice to see you here on F-life and welcome! I am a lurker on the AlfaBB, and will be ordering a harness for my in-progress 65 Alfa Giulia SS. I am nowhere near needing the harness yet, but will be contacting you sometime next year to discuss a harness and perhaps some mods to your wonderful product - like possibly terminating the leads for the dash/instrument lights w/ sockets for LEDs? And possibly fattening the gauge for wiring affected by increasing alternator output (Nippondenso)? I'll be in touch.

Sorry for the hijack!
post #19 of 19 Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
Lionel, nice to see you here on F-life and welcome! I am a lurker on the AlfaBB, and will be ordering a harness for my in-progress 65 Alfa Giulia SS. I am nowhere near needing the harness yet, but will be contacting you sometime next year to discuss a harness and perhaps some mods to your wonderful product - like possibly terminating the leads for the dash/instrument lights w/ sockets for LEDs? And possibly fattening the gauge for wiring affected by increasing alternator output (Nippondenso)? I'll be in touch.

Sorry for the hijack!
Hello Bryan,

Contact me and we can discuss.

Lionel
972-699-1819

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode