Back in 2000, I purchased my Ferrari, a Blue 1985 GTSi. A couple of photos are here: http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/154887-post108.html
It was a great ride for about a year, then it started to misfire a bit, and then idle rough. After I made all of the typical first pass checks (spark/fuel/ etc..) I ran a compression test. I found that the 2 and 3 cylinders were way down on compression. All of the others were rock solid.
I'm fairly good with a wrench, so I decided that I would take on the task of replacing the head gasket myself. After a weekend of removing all of the topside parts of the engine...I discovered that I needed a special tool to remove the head nuts.
A couple of weeks later with the new tool in hand, I was ready to pull the heads. That's when I discovered that the heads were seized in place. The most likely cause was coolant leaks into the head stud passages. I then decided it would be necessary to pull the engine to get enough access to work on removing the stuck heads.
With the engine out, I was still unable to pull the heads. I contacted Ferrari of Denver and they suggested that their head extraction tool would be needed to pull the heads. I took the engine to Denver, and they worked on it for a couple of months. In that time, they were able to remove the front head, but not the rear one. When I picked up the engine, their suggestion was that the rear head would have to be cut off.
OK... Between then and now, I had a career change that forced me to put my toy on the shelf for a while. I also couldn't bring myself to cut off the head, even though I had already purchased a replacement. Over the years, I would pour at least a dozen cans worth of various penetrating oils into those stud holes, then bash away...
I guess I didn't want to admit defeat.
(Not to mention lose the $1000 core charge on the rebuilt head.)
At the start of October, I finally had enough and decided I wanted my 308 back on the road. I picked up a package of new hacksaw blades and went into my garage with destructive intent on my mind. Even then, I still stood there a good minute or two with the hacksaw resting on the head before I could make the first cut...
The plan was to make four cuts separating the head into five chunks with only two head studs to deal with at a time, rather than all ten at once. After the first cut, the end section came off easily. The other end came of easily as well. The middle three sections were all difficult, since they were each held in place by a LOT of corrosion. However, after about an hour of bashing with a lead mallet, they all came off. I even broke one chunk off the middle section...
The amount of corrosion on the top three studs was stunning..and they were all pretty much dry. In all those years, not a drop of the penetrating oil had seeped in more than 1/4 inch down from the top.
With both heads now off, I started on cleaning up the studs and cylinder deck.
The sealing surfaces of the cylinder liners all appear to be in good shape. The deck surface, however, has suffered from some corrosion around the top coolant passages. The surface around the lower coolant passages and oil returns are in pretty good shape. I'm currently working on removing and polishing up the corrosion.
Enough for now... Next up is rebuilding the front head that was successfully pulled all those years ago.