Gas Door Switch Mondial - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Gas Door Switch Mondial

Can the Gas door switch be removed from the front, or does it need to be detached from the back.? don't want to break it or the dash. Advice please. This is my first post about my car.......in other words,I don't know what I'm doing......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706BUC View Post
Can the Gas door switch be removed from the front, or does it need to be detached from the back.? don't want to break it or the dash. Advice please. This is my first post about my car.......in other words,I don't know what I'm doing......

Not sure what you are asking.

- on the T there is a switch for the solenoid in the dash which can be removed, with some difficulty. The BOSCH part is fairly standard item, but if wanting the horse logo, you'll pay more.

what exactly is the porobelm? Is the switch not triggering the device?
is the door just lousy at opening, but it is releasing? as in needing some lub.

As a test of the latter, try lifting the engine bay cover, and triggering the door mechanism with the hard-pull chord provided near the gas door. It's a looped wire-rope hanging very near the cap door.

PS: Welcome, don't be afraid to ask. There are no dumb questions here.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Two problems.

The switch in the dash is not firing. I need to get it out so I can repair or replace. I can get the suspension selector switch out and feel behind the gas door switch. It feels like it just snaps in, but I can't get enough leverage to push it out. I wondered if I need to remove the entire center tunnel, or if I can ???? something less involved. I have never removed the center tunnel before.....don't know how....
I have been able to open the gas door manually from under the engine cover, but the gas door solenoid doesn't retract by it's self....like the spring return is broken. I have the feeling the solenoid needs replacing also.
Thanks, Jim

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706BUC View Post
The switch in the dash is not firing. I need to get it out so I can repair or replace. I can get the suspension selector switch out and feel behind the gas door switch. It feels like it just snaps in, but I can't get enough leverage to push it out. I wondered if I need to remove the entire center tunnel, or if I can ???? something less involved. I have never removed the center tunnel before.....don't know how....
I have been able to open the gas door manually from under the engine cover, but the gas door solenoid doesn't retract by it's self....like the spring return is broken. I have the feeling the solenoid needs replacing also.
Thanks, Jim

NOW from your profile, I see it's a T.

the switches are a PITA to get and you are correct, in the Tunnel for one way. There is a side [sort of] access on the passenger's side, but removing the entire assembly might be best. IF someone has a better way, PLEASE POST IT!!!!

- the switches have a sort of outer knurl that holds them in place. Taking out the entire front plate with switches is another PITA in that there are sort of these light LED like threads that must fit back in properly to light up the switches and plate lettering. They can be tough. IF you can just pop them out, I'd stick with that.

THE other PITA is the two screws that hold the plate to the tunnel top assembly: The only way I know to remove/replace the plate is via the back entry after removing either the entire assembly or almost gaining access via the passenger side foot well, which I never have been successful.

The switches are easy. The 3-way rocker for suspension is rarer in replacement, so go easy on that one.

I do have some diagrams, like from Eurospares.com and RICAMBI.com our sponsor btw. IF you call them, they have very good experience with MONDIAL T's....They have helped me on many times, and are very receptive to straight talking the situation. Give RICAMBI a call.

Ferrari Mondial T Coupe Door Locking Switch | eBay

^ one for sale at about $20, which is at my taking about right: I've replaced them with BMW/BOSCH part for tons less but that ball park is not far off.

The rear switch has four flanges that hold to place, One could 'force' them, and you may in fact be inclined: Squeeze the flanges together is too difficult trying to reach inside. Best is to take out plate.
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 10-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode