Rust Proofing on 308 QV - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Rust Proofing on 308 QV

I am the former owner of a 308 GTSi and I am looking to buy again in the next few months. I never had any rust problem on my 308, maybe I was lucky. I think rust is my biggest fear in this process. I read in the 308 buyers guide (in the Library section) that the 308 QV models had factory rust proofing. I have several questions about that.
  1. Did all 308 QVs get it?
  2. If not did it start at a particular VIN and if so what VIN?
  3. How can I tell if a particular car has factory rust proofing?
  4. Over the years has the rust proofing proved to be effective?

I actually prefer the styling of the 308 GTSi over the 308 QV but I need to weigh that against the advantages (if any) of the rust proofing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
Keith Bluemel's Book Ferrari Original V8 says I think on page 36 that rustproofing began on all cars made in January 1984 (he goes through describing the rust proof process that was used). This book is a great resource for 308/328 owners, if you do not already have it you should order it. He does not mention a starting VIN. But if you are looking at US spec cars check the door plate and you will know when the car was made and if it has rustproofing. I do not believe Euro spec cars say when the car was made on the door plate.

Best regards,
Dino

1989 328GTS Red/Pelle Rosso & Crema Interior
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
I can only help with #4.!
In my experience it's more down to how they have been looked after & have they been periodically wax injected.
I have restored sound early (pre factory rustproof cars) & late rusty (post rustproof cars).
The factory Ziebarting would typically only last for 4 years IIRC, all wax (rustproofing) injection really needs to be carried out on a regular (bi-annual) basis to prevent the wax from drying out.
Hope this helps, Al.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Al, interesting that you say wax injecting needs to be done every 2 years. When I bought the 328 two yrs ago it was completely stripped clean and pumped full of wax again. How can the un trained eye (ie, me) check to see what condition it is in.
How much should it cost to have it touched up or re waxed?
Cheers

Archie
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
Easy way in the summer is to see if you have any wax dripping through the door drain holes in warm weather - if not then really it needs a refresh:thumbup:
Or pop a door trim panel off & see how sticky it feels - it should feel like wet paint - if it's more like solidified grease then guess what
Shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred - it's an 'orrible job, but not difficult.
Let us know how you get on cheers, Al.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode