Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
348 vs F355

There has been a lot of recent debate on trading up from 308/328s to either the 348 or F355. 348's prices seemed to have finally bottomed out and may offer a lot of Ferrari per $$$. F355s still command a premium and tend to be held in much higher general regard.

What does everyone see as the pros/cons on each ?

Assuming all the new car issues were sorted years ago, what issues are relevant today ?

Which is the best value ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Well, I would guess it would all have to do with what kind of money you have to spend. I took the advice of several people here an am trading my 81 308 for a 90 348TS. I wish I could go after a F355 or TS but, that is a FERRARI currently outta my reach. So, it brings me back to it is whatever you can afford. Now if your basing it on wants and wishes thats a different story.
post #3 of 66 Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
SHANONGLASS has a point

if money is not an issue, I think the F355 has the best cost/fun ratio, to me it is one of the best models Ferrari ever made, while the 348 is not quite all that much (no ofense to any owners or lovers, I like the 348 but preffer the F355, that's all)

but going for the F355 when you can't really afford it is plain stupid, so the 348 is a great cheaper option that suits some people better, like SHANONGLASS

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy

post #4 of 66 Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
No offence to 348 owners, but it has to be the 355. In my opinion it is still one of the best ever PF designs. Every time I see one I ask myself, should I? Even with todays more rounded car designs, the 355 looks pure class, I've always loved them.
I know the 348 is very similar, but the slats on the side and back lights put me off, plus you get 380 BHP in a 355 compared to 300 in the 348TS/TB's or 320 in the later GTS/B's.
348's are good value for money if you can put up with the styling, but I made my choice and paid a bit more for a 328, if I had more spare cash at the time, I would have considered a 355.

Archie
post #5 of 66 Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I go with the 348 everytime. From an asthetic persective, I personally love the side strakes, and that is basically the only appearance differance. Mechanically I would love 60 more HP but I don't want powersteering. There is something about direct unfiltered contact with the road that I just Dig. F1 tranny doesn't do it for me either. Need to feel that clutch, it's part of the experience.

355 is an awesome car and perfect for many folks. I just like my 348 better.

FYI
Latest NADA guide for the 348SS indicates a ~10% uptick in value. Not sure if this is a inflation correction or the beginning of a nice trend.

Jimmy...What's your reason?

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 66 Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
This is like a comparison of Peyton Manning to his Father Archie Manning (NFL players).

The 355 has been an evolutionary result from design and engineering improvements of the 348. As far as looks are concerned, the 348 has been a success with its side strake air intakes giving it a testarossa look. The 355 has more refined look and a much lower profile than the 348, giving it a racier appearance. The side air intakes were retained but the strakes removed, thus giving it post testarossa (80's) look, thus having an appearance of later design. The slotted rear grill in the 348 did not have much appeal aestheticaly which prompted the designers to come up with a more elegant looking design. The revolutionary design by pininfarina coupled with an increase in performance and handling by the 355 wowed a huge number of car enthusiasts around the world including myself.

If money is not a factor, the 355 would be a better car, although with a 348 you would get the same glances and with an expert driver behind the 348's wheel, get the same thrills as you would with a novice in a 355.

Here are some sites for comparison.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ferrari-348.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ferrari-f355.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ferrari-360.htm

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver

Last edited by monza; 01-09-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: grammar
post #7 of 66 Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
While both cars are beautiful I prefer the smoother lines of the 355. I looked at 348s when searching for and ultimately buying a 355. I found the 355 interior to have more room than the 348 which I was unable to fold my 6'5" frame into. Just not that limber.
post #8 of 66 Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Of course I'm not objective but IMHO the 355 is the better car.
It has a timeless design and the 348 has the unmistakable 80-90's design. Combined with the huge improvement from technical perspective (more power, better & safer handling, power steering etc etc) makes it a great car for me.

I also agree with Boxer, the 348 is great value, offers a lot of Ferrari per $ or €. I understood from my dealer it' s also gaining popularity fast. He was surprised to sell 4 348's in the last 5 weeks.
post #9 of 66 Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
I voted for the 348: that's what I'm currently searching for. I love the 355, and think it's more beautiful than the 348 - I'm sure most would agree.

But although the 355 performs quite a bit better, it's also much more complex and therefore more expensive to maintain. Power Steering (I prefer manual for the road feel), Airbags with ECU(s), Electronic suspension, etc. And the F1 transmission and clutch are extremely expensive to repair. I think the hydraulic pump for an F1 transmission is over $10k by itself. Even if the F1 was bulletproof, I'd still get one with the 6 speed.

Also, there still seems to be a lot of ongoing concern & uncertainty on 355s regarding valve guide problems. Also have read of Ferrari techs finding severe ring wear and cylinder damage, apparently from undiagnosed exhaust header failures (cracking), causing mixture leaning in those cylinders.

I also want a targa top, and a 355GTS will apparently cost at least $30k more upfront than a similar-condition 348TS. I think the potential is there for 355 ownership costs to be double what a 348 would cost, although that's just an impression on my part... I haven't run numbers. Don't get me wrong... I'd love to have a 355 - I started looking for one, as I posted here a few months ago. But I'm retired and have to limit what I spend on a car, so finally decided to go for a 348TS instead. And speaking of that... I'm traveling back east next week to (hopefully) buy one! PPI done, and I'll post pics once I've seen the car and bought it.

More 348 input... FWIW... My previous neighbor has owned a 348 for many, many years, and it's set up to Serie Speciale specs, and he's added TR brakes and tracks the car a lot. He also owns a company that upgrades the Motronic ECUs, and his puts out around 340hp as I recall. He says he can easily keep up with 355s on the track. He is an expert driver, though, and has previously held driving classes/clinics (or whatever) for FCA in the area.

Also, for those feeling the need to upgrade looks of their 348... I've seen a couple 348's with 355 body panels... here's a link to one on Autotrader... Yes, it's a 348 (check the interior!)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1134

Take care! :drive:
Rick
post #10 of 66 Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao tutti

Well like everybody else I too think the 355 looks are a little better but the 348 is part of automotive history and the 355 is just a up dated version of that design. Like the early vettes c4, c5, c6, all had there place in history and all were improvements of the next . I eventually will go from my 348 then to a 355 then to a 360 then to a 430 then to a.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #11 of 66 Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I voted for the 348 too, but then again I would because I now own one; I have recently acquired such a car as a result of a carefully considered purchasing decision; and I can’t get the smile off my face, particularly when driving to the bank!

The 348 at today’s prices must surely be one of the best Ferrari buys going, even with it’s, by now, well documented flaws. I actually like the Testorossa look of the car (of course) but the purity of the Pininfarina line from the first mid engine cars still shines through all the same and the steering being unassisted is delightfully sensitive, as is the throttle response; the exhaust note from my aftermarket Larini System is an absolute joy and I have yet to experience any serious reliability issues (although I am prepared).

I’m sure the 328 before it was a very fine car, but remember the 348 (mine is a 1990 Berlinetta at 30,000kms with a full service history) was 35% stiffer, had a lower C of G due to the dry sump, was more powerful and had bigger brakes with ABS; and, probably most important of all, introduced us to the concept of the Challenge series; and those boys took their racing seriously, just check out the video footage from the period where the cars seemed to cope very well indeed.

The F355 is undoubtedly the better car due to its place in the Ferrari evolutionary chain (just as the 348 was better than the 328) but at a price, and it too has its faults (and some expensive ones at that). I was on a Ferrari club run just yesterday in fact and although there were two 599's, two 550's, four 430's and two 355's present - mine was the only 348 there and it attracted more than its fair share of attention even in such exotic company. It seems that they are starting to age well.

I have owned other acknowledged classics over the years (Series I E Type, various MG’s and Healey’s, Scimitar GTE, even a 240Z and my daily drive now is a V8 Monaro - Pontiac GTO in the US; which I love) but nothing compares to the Ferrari for the sheer fun of the driving experience, particularly on modern rubber at track days. So let’s stop knocking the old 348 and start loving it for what is has become; a good looking classic Ferrari at a price that should now put a smile on anyone’s face.
post #12 of 66 Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Mr Hill, Very eloquently written. Agree.
post #13 of 66 Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Owner

Garage
Ciao Mr hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Mr Hill, Very eloquently written. Agree.
I agree very well written and yet only one post don't let us wait another
11 months.

post #14 of 66 Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I have a deep personal preference for the F355 due to the gorgeous styling, radical improvement in horse power and phenomenal sound it generates.

But bang for buck, the 348 probably is on par or maybe just ahead. It is a great car which should be cherised by its owners. I always like seeing them in the flesh, even if I would not buy one myself.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 66 Old 01-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
While both cars are beautiful I prefer the smoother lines of the 355. I looked at 348s when searching for and ultimately buying a 355. I found the 355 interior to have more room than the 348 which I was unable to fold my 6'5" frame into. Just not that limber.
Amusing... the interior dimensions of the 348 & 355 are identical.
post #16 of 66 Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
355 spider "hard boot"

Has anyone seen a "hard boot" for a 355 spider. By "hard boot" I mean a color-matched hard cover for the rag-top while in the "top-down" position. The profile of the top would seem to lend itself to it if done properly.

Thanks!
post #17 of 66 Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Never seen or even heard of one. If they do exist, you might find one in Germany from the same firm that produces the hard top for the 550 Barchetta.
post #18 of 66 Old 02-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Well the F355 is my favorite car. The 348 is beautiful within its own realm, but the F355 is the successor and has many improvements from the 348. I personally have raced against a 348 in my old '98 Firebird (rest its soul) with many modifications. Lets just say I got to hear his amazing Tubi! The back end looked really nice when he flew by me. He pulled into a parking lot after I pulled into it, and he let me look at his car. Amazing car! He had hyperflows, and a Tubi. He also had F355 rims on the car. It was a 1993 GTS. But I would still have to say the F355 because of the amazing sound, looks, and increased power. But my opinion has to be taken lightly, due to the fact that I have never driven either.

Cheers,
Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #19 of 66 Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrishawk4 View Post
Well the F355 is my favorite car. The 348 is beautiful within its own realm, but the F355 is the successor and has many improvements from the 348.
I knew I didn't like you for a reason...

Just kidding mate the 355 is a great car we call it the Prima Donna and the 348 is more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAQXg0IdfI

post #20 of 66 Old 02-15-2008, 05:01 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Life View Post
I knew I didn't like you for a reason...

Just kidding mate the 355 is a great car we call it the Prima Donna and the 348 is more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAQXg0IdfI
HAHA, hey good song. If I had the money for a Ferrari right now I would definitely get the 348. I have liked the F355 since '95 when I was 7, but the 348 is a car I got to experience completely blow me away. They are both definitely my favorite cars. But then again I grew up in the 90s

Chris

“ To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.”-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode