308 headlight help - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
308 headlight help

It's been a long time since I've posted, meaning most things on the car are working!
After a drive this weekend, I tried to turn on the headlights and nothing happened. No instrument panel lights, headlights did not raise and were not on. Prior to this (2 weeks ago) the lights worked without any problems. I've checked all the relays and swapped out new ones and no change. The fuses visually anyway look fine. My next step is to swap those for new ones as well. If that doesn't work, any other ideas? Most threads I've seen regarding a broken stalk/switch mention erratic operation (lights pop up, and then down after hitting a bump or some tap to the stalk) rather than no operation at all. Everything else is fine, all other lights work, alternator light turns off as usual, car starts right away.
Any help would be appreciated!

It's an 82 GTSi

1982 308GTSi
1987 MB 560SL
1993 Jeep Wrangler
2007 Porsche 911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsneeze View Post
It's been a long time since I've posted, meaning most things on the car are working!
After a drive this weekend, I tried to turn on the headlights and nothing happened. No instrument panel lights, headlights did not raise and were not on. Prior to this (2 weeks ago) the lights worked without any problems. I've checked all the relays and swapped out new ones and no change. The fuses visually anyway look fine. My next step is to swap those for new ones as well. If that doesn't work, any other ideas? Most threads I've seen regarding a broken stalk/switch mention erratic operation (lights pop up, and then down after hitting a bump or some tap to the stalk) rather than no operation at all. Everything else is fine, all other lights work, alternator light turns off as usual, car starts right away.
Any help would be appreciated!

It's an 82 GTSi
This sounds daft, but run the car for about 10 minutes (to allow it to get warm) and then tap the fuses/fuse box. My guess is that you have a bad connection or a loose wire. I would also try replacing the fuse. 308 fuses boxes are not the robust.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I like the low tech approach! I'll replace all the fuses, and I was planning to upgrade the fuse box this winter, so this may be the catalyst to push me to do that. Although looking at my fuse box it looks to be in pretty good shape compared to some I've seen, but I'm sure a short or broken connection can still be lurking. I'll also try to pull apart the signal stalk to see if it's a broken connection there. If that is the problem, it just seems to be showing up differently than the usual report of switch failures.

1982 308GTSi
1987 MB 560SL
1993 Jeep Wrangler
2007 Porsche 911

post #4 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Check the steering stalk and BE CAREFUL for the spring and small ball bearing when you remove the outer section. The spring sends the ball bearing to heaven, never to be found again.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I went through the fuses, they were all in working order. Then tackled the stalk. The wire on the lower contact in the switch had become disconnected. So it looks like a little soldering and I should be back in business.

1982 308GTSi
1987 MB 560SL
1993 Jeep Wrangler
2007 Porsche 911
post #6 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Excellent news. Good luck with the repair.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode