F355 battery - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
F355 battery

Hello fellows,

Recently I left the door light accidentaly on in my F355 Spider and as a result, when I tried to start the car, the battery was dead. Since I have a little portable recharger, I thought it would be easy to restart the car, like I 've done in the past.

However,this time when I turn the ignition on, I hear this weird noise ("Clack,clack,clack,clack") and the engine does not start.

Does this mean that I need a new battery? If so, how come the recharger did supply enough power to at least get the engine started???

I really appreciate any comments or suggestion you may have... .

THANK YOU!!!::

Wendler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Your charger is not providing enough power to engage the starter bendix get a signifigantly larger charger or buy a new battery...personally I recommend doing both
post #3 of 7 Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
It sounds like you need a new battery. If the current one is 3+ years old, then I would definitely replace it.

One other thought, how long did you leave the charger on ? It might take a full day to bring a dead battery back if it is a small one. Also how are you connecting it ? Directly to the battery, via the charging post on the right hand side of the engine bay, or via the lighter socket?

post #4 of 7 Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I am planing on getting a new battery asap.

However, I am still trying to gain access to it. Is it true that I will need to remove the right front wheel and dust cap in order to get to it???

I left the charger recharging for 24hrs before conecting it, but still no engine response(except from the noise describe above).

Everything else (electrical) was working fine. The charger was connected to the back right positive pole(after removing metal cover in the engine compartment) and a metal screw as negative pole.

I was planning on calling AAA for a final jumpstart try, using a stronger charger.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Wendler
post #5 of 7 Old 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

If the battery will not charge off the conditioner, then getting it jump started will not help much as it will not charge once you getting it running. Additionally, if you do jump start it, better to use a boost box (vs old fashion cable connected to another car) as you have less of a risk of frying the electronics if you get a spike. It does sound like you need to replace the battery. To get at it you do need to remove the front right wheel and the access panel. Yes, it is a real pain....
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help!

You were absolutely right, Boxer. I did get a jumpstart through a booster box and the engine did start!!! However, just like you said, the battery never recharged itself again, even though I drove the car around for about a mile and a half.

I guess it is time to buy a new battery and face that right front wheel "ordeal" after all... .

By the way, the car manual suggests a maintenance free battery 12V-70Ah-420A(Brand Magneti Mareli). Does anyone if it is safe to find an equivalent battery in case I do not find this brand???

Thanks!

Wendler
post #7 of 7 Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendler View Post

By the way, the car manual suggests a maintenance free battery 12V-70Ah-420A(Brand Magneti Mareli). Does anyone if it is safe to find an equivalent battery in case I do not find this brand???

Thanks!

Wendler
Definitely need to replace the battery at this point. You should be fine with a quality equalivant. Ferrari uses and recommends Magneti Mareli mainly because Fiat owns them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode