308 - no reverse. Thoughts from the experts? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
308 - no reverse. Thoughts from the experts?

My 308 "suddenly" will not shift into reverse.

Last spring I changed the shift shaft seal. This required going into the transmission and removing some shifter components so the shaft could be withdrawn. Seemed like everything went back together fine ....

Dummy that I am I then lost interest and never road tested thew car

until now

and it won't engage in reverse. Shifter does not even FEEL quite right pushing down and up/left - does not seem to depress something as it used to.

so

any thoguhts about where to start? Is this liekly just a linkage adjustment, or more likely I messed up some internal shifter items? If linkage, any one have info on how to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I'm 99% sure it's just a shifter adjustment issue. I'm not familiar enough with the 3-series cars to advise you on the procedure for adjusting it. Perhaps do a search on this and other forums dedicated to Ferraris on this topic, I'm sure something will turn up. It's usually a good idea to get a shop manual for your car if possible, just a cheapie reprint off ebay is fine. Manuals are very helpful for us do-it-youreselfers.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Reverse

I rebuilt my 328 trans last summer. Did you replace the "silentbloc" bushing on the end of the shifter rod when you had it out? If so, you'll need to make a simple adjustment. Just forward of the transmission is a turnbuckle. You can change the length of the shift rod, and you can rotate it slightly to change the side-to-side motion. With a new bushing, you'll need to play with this turnbuckle, and I'll bet you get reverse back. One turnbuckle nut is RH thread, the other is LH thread. Let me know if that helps.-Steve

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode