f355 Spyder - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-28-2007, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
f355 Spyder

ok, I have been looking for a while mainly for a 348. I was at my dealers yesterday, and they have a nice black 355 Spyder that they just took in. I had not considered one of these, but it is very nice. It is a 1997 black with tan interior, new cats, manifold, tubi exhaust 3K miles ago. It also had the full engine out 3k miles ago, but it has been 3 years. They want 72K for the car, it seems fair. Any thoughts out there on this car? Like I said, I have been looking for a 348, and have not put much effort into the 355. It is just very tempting for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
F355

An F355 with Tubi is one of the greatest sounds of all time. As for the car, I suggest you check out the Buyer's Guide on this site. Lots of good information on trouble spots that you should know about.

My only beef with the Spyder is the convertible top. The mechanism is as complicated as the space shuttle. Make sure yours works, and don't be surprised if it has problems in the future. Search other posts for more detail on this.

On the major service, it depends on whom you ask, but I think the majority feel that belts every five years is sufficient. Good luck. The car is an absolute blast to drive.

Steve
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
I just bought a red 97 f355 spider this past summer. Since it was around may/june, I had paid premium price but got to enjoy it this past summer.

Now would be the best to get a convertible (fall/winter). Have a PPI performed, and once everything checks out make an offer. If they are asking 72K you might be able to get another 3-4K off.

The Tubi's are great, I had thought I had Tubi's but found out from records that Capristo's were installed instead. But both sound great, you will enjoy the F1-like sounds with the top down.

The major's are very important, especially the belt replacements. Check if both manifolds have been replaced as well. The cats being replaced are a plus. When you test drive the car, make sure you check the top, cycle it up and down a couple of times before you take a ride. After the drive, close it and cycle it again.

I would say that if the PPI check out, it would be a bargain since the majors have been completed and cats replaced. If the car was driven and well maintained then it will serve you well the coming years.

Good Luck

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver

post #4 of 9 Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
If you can afford it the 355 is a much improved car over the 348, style, looks etc are all personal choice's, and although we have to take the engine out of both for the major, I think long term 355 are less labor/maint intensive.
I have a couple of clients with 355's for sale if you want some choices feel free to PM me.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
I just bought a '97 black/tan spider a couple of weeks ago. Paid slightly more for it but got the major with belts included in the price since it was due, not because of miles but yearwise. To me it feels very important to follow the servicebook maintenance schedules, especially since it's been done so far in the cars history. Beltchange every three years is whats being suggested no matter how much it's been driven and my car is in pieces as we speak. I went to inspect the parts and car and was very pleased with the overall shape of things except for the cats which needed to be adressed. As for the belts they look like new and one can really question the need for replacement, especially since the guys at the shop said that they'd never heard of a f355 belt actually breaking under any condition. But as I said, it feels like you are not only paying top kronors ($) for just a car, but also for the servicebook, should the time arrive to sell it one day. I don't know if I am making sense here but this is how I feel about it. Ask me again when I've had it for a year and we'll see .
As for the cats we have a company here in Sweden who actually cut them apart and refit them, not with cheramic, but metal interior which is supposed to last a lot longer and even enhance performance.This process comes out cheaper (little over a $1100 a piece) than simply buying a new set and being faced with the same problem again further down the road. Manifolds, luckily on my car, was in good condition. A friend had a new set manufactured out of stainless steel. Great sound at quite some cost. I think he paid somewhere in the vicinity of $15000 for both sides.

So, if your car has new cats, manifold, tubi exhaust already fitted it really sounds like a good deal if the PPI checks out ok. To me it even sounds 'cheap' I must admit, but then again I might be biased with Swedish prices which definitely seem to be higher, even this time of the year with winter and all. Check history and as mentioned before, read the buyers guide. If you decide on a f355 I think you will be pleased. I know I am exstatic

Panterauffe

2003 360 Spider

1997 f355 Spider "sold"
1980 De Tomaso Pantera GTS,
2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
I feel pretty comfortable about the car as it was bought new at the local dealer and they have done all of the service on the car. I like that it has the tubi exchaust, new cats, new manifolds etc. Everything on the car looks brand new with the exception of 1 small rock chip on the front that has been touched up, and the paint has some swirl marks in it (I can get those out). My big question is about the service. I have been working with the owner of the dealership who has been around forever. They will sell it for either with or without a service. It is my choice whether or not I get it done. When they did it 3 years ago, they replaced every belt and hose on the car, and new tensioner bearings. I asked the dealer what he would do if it were his car. He said he has never seen a belt go, especially with only 3K miles on it. If it was his car he would drive it every day for the next 2 years then get the service done.

Thoughts?
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
I feel pretty comfortable about the car as it was bought new at the local dealer and they have done all of the service on the car. I like that it has the tubi exchaust, new cats, new manifolds etc. Everything on the car looks brand new with the exception of 1 small rock chip on the front that has been touched up, and the paint has some swirl marks in it (I can get those out). My big question is about the service. I have been working with the owner of the dealership who has been around forever. They will sell it for either with or without a service. It is my choice whether or not I get it done. When they did it 3 years ago, they replaced every belt and hose on the car, and new tensioner bearings. I asked the dealer what he would do if it were his car. He said he has never seen a belt go, especially with only 3K miles on it. If it was his car he would drive it every day for the next 2 years then get the service done.

Thoughts?
I would tend to agree that if the belts were replaced just 3,000 miles ago then you should be fine. The fact that the manifolds were already replaced is a big plus for you as this is a problem area on the F355. The car is awesome to drive and in my opinion is one of the best looking modern Ferraris.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post

Thoughts?
Getting two more years out of the belts should be a relatively low risk decision. I would try to negotiate a discount on the future belt service into the purchase price. When I bought my 512BB, the belts had a year left on them. As part of the deal, we agreed not to do them immediately but that I would bring the car back in a year and they would do the belts gratis.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
X2 on Boxers comments...sounds like a good insurance plan.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode