What tires for f355 Spider??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
What tires for f355 Spider???

Hi
My Pirelli P Zero's are allmost worn down especially in the rear and my mechanic said he could get a pretty good deal on Michelin Pilot Sport, same dimensions. Just wondered if there was anyone out there who had an oppinion on either of them. Car will be used primarilly for inspired driving mostly on the road. Might track it calmly every once in a while.
On my Pantera I have opted for R-rated tires, which is a blast to drive on once they heat up, especially on tracks, but this car feels a bit more like a cruiser than a racer sooooo.........

Glad for all kinds of input....

Panterauffe

2003 360 Spider

1997 f355 Spider "sold"
1980 De Tomaso Pantera GTS,
2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I have had good experiences with the Michelins.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
I still have the stock P Zeros and they served me pretty well after doing about 100 on a 45-50 degree left hand road bend. I would stick with the stock Pirelli's.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver

post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

So, 1-1 then so far. I found a thread on 348 and tires but not quite sure if same goes for my model. There was a bunch of different brands and spacers/no spacers discussion. Interesting points. Thanks for your input guys.

Panterauffe

2003 360 Spider

1997 f355 Spider "sold"
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Has anybody had any experience with putting 19" rims on the f355. I have found a set originally made for the 360, making them slightly wide in the rear... I believe 11,5" wide. I heard that if you use wrong wheeldiameters it messes up the antispinsensors etc. This true for the 360? What about f355????

Panterauffe

2003 360 Spider

1997 f355 Spider "sold"
post #6 of 8 Old 12-13-2007, 04:50 AM
Owner

I plan on putting 19" on my 355, but not at this moment. Sorry no experience, and still have not done any research on it yet.

Although, I have been to a local shop here in NJ that specializes in Rims and tires for exotic cars. Try www.F1motoring.com or email [email protected]. he may be able to suggest some brands and tips on how to instal the new rims and tires.

As far as increasing your tire diameter 1", then the plus 1 rule applies. You have to get a lower and wider profile tire. Work the specs to as close to the stock ones to avoid a big discrepancy to your speedometer and gearing.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM
Owner

Some tips on wheel replacements:

Plus Concept

Plus sizing your wheels and tires is the best way to improve both the performance and appearance of your vehicle. By using a larger diameter wheel with a lower profile tire it's possible to properly maintain the overall diameter of the tire, keeping odometer and speedometer changes negligible. By using a tire with a shorter sidewall, you gain quickness in steering response and better lateral stability. The visual appeal is obvious, most wheels look better than the sidewall of the tire, so the more wheel and less sidewall there is, the better it looks.

Calculating Car Tire Dimensions

Width x Aspect Ratio = Section Height
Section Height x 2 = Combined Section Height
Combined Section Height + Wheel Diameter = Tire Diameter
Example: 185/60R14 85H or 185/60HR14
185mm x .60=111mm
111mm x 2=222mm
222mm + 355.6mm(14")= 577.6mm or 22.74"
The first number is the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. To convert to inches, divide by 25.4 In the example above, the width is 185mm or 7.28".
The second number is the aspect ratio. This is a ratio of sidewall height to width. In the example above, the tire is 7.28" wide, multiply that by the aspect ratio to find the height of one sidewall. In this case, 185x0.60=111mm or 7.28"x0.60=4.36".
The last number is the diameter of the wheel in inches.
To figure the outside diameter of a tire, take the sidewall height and multiply by 2,(remember that the diameter is made up of 2 sidewalls, the one above the wheel, and the one below the wheel) and add the diameter of the wheel to get your answer.

Spacers

Measure the distance from the wheel well to the inner side of the wheel. Get the difference from the stock tires and the new thicker tires. If half of the difference is greater than the distance then you may need spacers, otherwise you should be OK. Most manufactures of new wheels also give allowance for the fitting of larger brake rotors and calipers as well.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver

Last edited by monza; 12-13-2007 at 05:13 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for your input. The car is still hoisted 6" up in the air for service etc. and as soon as the ice chips away from the streets I will investigate the possiblities. I think my tireguy said he would use 30 profile in the rear and 35 up front to get as close to original diameter as possible. With this size he thought it necessary to use spacers in the rear since rims are actually made for the 360 and 11.5" wide. The result he said was a possibility that the whole package would be sticking out 15 to 20mm's in the rear. Don't quite know if I want that but the rims look fabulous with black center and polished outer rim... especially on a black car I would think plus I get a superdeal on the price
I'll see if I can snap a few pic's should I decide to give it a try.

Panterauffe

2003 360 Spider

1997 f355 Spider "sold"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode