328 Twin Turbo, Opinions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
328 Twin Turbo, Opinions

Per below, comments ? It goes up for Auction at Barrons next week. The owner has been trying to sell it for some time.

Only has two small issues, corners and stopping.

-------------------------------
Manufacturer
Ferrari
Model
328GTB Twin Turbo
First Registered
Registration No
F328FKN
Engine No
Chassis No
ZFFWA19C000079222
MOT
July 2008
Colour
Rosso CorsaDetailsPenned by Pininfarina the 308/328 is thought, by many, to be one of the prettiest of the modern V8 Ferraris. First seen back in October 1975, with fibreglass bodywork and dry sump lubrication, the model was developed over the next 15 years with post 76 cars built of steel and now with wet sump lubrication. The 308 Quattro Valve came along in 1980 and in 1985, the 3185cc, 328 appeared on the scene.

Offered here is very late 328 GTB, which has been the subject of an upgrade along the lines of the, still born, Group B 288GTO. (The 288GTO was designed by Pininfarina's design chief Leonardo Fioravanti and was based on the beautiful shape of 308GTB Quattrovalve. The twin-turbo V8 meant that the 288 was much lighter than a Testarossa and therefore faster).

This amazing motor car is equipped with a Twin Turbo 3.2 litre V8, producing around 405bhp. The chassis, transmission, brakes, wheels and tyres have all been upgraded to compensate for the additional power, while the bodywork has been enhanced with 288GTO styling. This upgrade was carried out by Emblem Sports Cars of Blandford (later sold to Nigel Mansell) in the early 1990's

The modifications include a 405bhp, Twin Turbo 3.2 litre V8 conversion, Two way adjustable quantum dampers with adjustable platform springs, 330 x 32mm Maranello Fiorano 550 pack front discs, Brembo 4 pot callipers front and rear, lightweight alloy HE 30 caliper brackets (one off), Speedline, split-rim alloy road wheels, 9 x18 front and 11 x 18 rear, Custom built exhaust, lighweight Magnesium gearbox housing for the "Quick Change" drop gear cluster and Momo steering wheel.

Finished in Rosso corsa with Crèma leather, the car is said to be in outstanding condition and is said to have covered a warranted 15700 miles from new.

Offered with an extensive history file, which includes a recent invoice (March 2007) from Moto Technique for a major service, gearbox rebuild, new clutch and all belts, which added up to £15, 432,89. The file also includes a purchase invoice from Joe Macari Performance Cars from Dec 2004 for £37500.

We are advised by the vendor that the car is listed with HPI as having been the subject of an insurance pay out in January 1993. This is believed to have been a "Stolen and Recovered" incident.
Estimate £23000-27000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
I quite like the aggressive stance, the GTO mirrors and the speedline wheels with drilled brakes. Not sure about the rear quarter vents.

Twin Turbos on a 328? Not sure I would want the overall package - not a great fan of retro-modded Ferraris. Takes away the purity

The price is in line with standard vehicles of that year, but something not quite right...

post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Financially this conversion makes no sense.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1fosI View Post
I quite like the aggressive stance, the GTO mirrors and the speedline wheels with drilled brakes. Not sure about the rear quarter vents.

Twin Turbos on a 328? Not sure I would want the overall package - not a great fan of retro-modded Ferraris. Takes away the purity

The price is in line with standard vehicles of that year, but something not quite right...

I'm sure it's thrilling to drive a 400+ BHP 328, but overall I agree with t1f. There's nothing wrong with tuning the engine for a few more horses, but a half modded 328/288 mongrel isn't pure.
...but I'd still like to drive it to find out how quick it is

Archie
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
The problem with modifying a car, any car, is that you are making it the car YOU want. You will never get out of a modified car what you put into it. You built it to your specs and desires. Most Ferrari owners prefer a "clean slate" to keep all original or modify to their own specs.

The work done on this car cannot be reproduced for less than the asking price of the car. In fact, the owner probably has more than twice the asking price into the car. It is harder to get rid it of once you have modified it. Look at Steve's car (enjoythemusic), what an awesome machine. He meticulously upgraded every component on that car to optimise performance for racing and the car is fantastic. BUT, it is no longer original and for the purist the car is not worth that much more than if he hadn't touched it at all.

So, what I'd say, is that if you want an all original 328 then you'd best steer clear of this car. If a twin turbo tickles your fancy, you'd never be able to buy a 328 and convert it for the asking price of this one. It will need work to make it "right" for you, but it does appear it was done correctly without regard to cost (for the owner's whim) and you'd never be able to reproduce it on your own for the same money.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 12 Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Financially this conversion makes no sense.
Agreed.

If the conversion was done in the early 90's as stated in the blurb, than it might be circa '91/92. That was a crazy time for Ferrari prices, If my memory serves me correctly 328's were around the GBP£100k mark and Boxers were edging GBP£250k plus. The F40 was available at that time, but I can't remember what the prices were. It is possible that somebody probably thought at the time that they might cash in on the boom with a pseudo-288 if no one was looking.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
This car has been put up for sale several times in the past couple of years and each time its found a new owner they didn't keep it for long. Was listed for sale and subsequently sold through the Ferrari Owners Club UK only a few months ago.

I also ready somewhere that it had been quite badly accident damaged ( ran into a post box/street lamp or whatever) and was written off. Not stolen recovered as stated in the add.

Probably still a good car but would have serious doubts about it's reliability and usability and definately wouldn't swap my standard spec 328 for it !
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Quote:
Only has two small issues, corners and stopping.
What did you mean by that Boxer? Because of it having too much power???

If I had the money to blow on a car, this obviously would mean I had plenty of other exotics in my garage, I would like to test drive it and if drove well and engine passed inspection, would probably purchase it. I said it before, im into customizing to my own liking, now I would not do that to all my cars but to buy one like that??? Yeah, it would be cool to have a 405bhp 328. But the only major problem with owning or building a car like this is it isn’t worth that much especially if its been written off. As well you have to expect to loose considerably if one decides to sell it. But at this stage (rebuilt and modified) it’s purely a toy that you don’t really care if it’s a Ferrari and the value of it.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
What did you mean by that Boxer? Because of it having too much power???

~
Comment actually was the result of a discussion with one of the former owners. He felt it was under braked for the power and he stated that the handling was tricky.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I can see doing this to a Ferrari that's already been trashed, but certainly not to a good solid car. If your saving a Ferrari from the scrap yard, by all means do whatever you want with it. I wouldn't mind having a turbo'd Ferrari under the right circumstances. If the car can be bought reasonable....like WAY under the costs to build it....sure I'd go for it. A fun Ferrari that isn't too valuable would be a blast to drive around without worry of every little stone chip or hitting rush hour traffic. I've had a ride in a twin-turbo'd Ferrari and it was a rush (F-40)!!!! So if I were to find a well-engineered turbo'd car at the right price I would probably buy it. A fellow about 2 hours from me has a twin-turbo Testarossa pushing more than 800hp to the tires....now a ride in THAT car would plant a grin on my face for a month! There is a very very small market for cars like this...so finding a buyer would be tough. If the car was absolutely spotless that would help a lot. People that have supercharged or turbo'd Ferraris seem to say the the motors are very durable and can handle big horsepower increases without many problems, if the package is well thought out. So I guess I'm in the minority for modified Ferraris. I'm a purist at heart and great original cars will always steal my heart. But cars that have dropped in value for whatever reason like theft, accidents, or flood.....if they are rejuvinated and morphed into a Frankenstein's monster of their former self in a way that is still somewhat respectful....I'll probably love it. I've often thought about buying up another Testarossa that's a total basket case, and just seeing what can be done with cams, EFI, maybe turbos or even nitrous, better gears, adjustable shocks, removal of weight....it could be made into a killer machine.

Just my ramblings....I hope you'll all forgive me.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
I can see doing this to a Ferrari that's already been trashed, but certainly not to a good solid car. If your saving a Ferrari from the scrap yard, by all means do whatever you want with it. I wouldn't mind having a turbo'd Ferrari under the right circumstances. If the car can be bought reasonable....like WAY under the costs to build it....sure I'd go for it. A fun Ferrari that isn't too valuable would be a blast to drive around without worry of every little stone chip or hitting rush hour traffic. I've had a ride in a twin-turbo'd Ferrari and it was a rush (F-40)!!!! So if I were to find a well-engineered turbo'd car at the right price I would probably buy it. A fellow about 2 hours from me has a twin-turbo Testarossa pushing more than 800hp to the tires....now a ride in THAT car would plant a grin on my face for a month! There is a very very small market for cars like this...so finding a buyer would be tough. If the car was absolutely spotless that would help a lot. People that have supercharged or turbo'd Ferraris seem to say the the motors are very durable and can handle big horsepower increases without many problems, if the package is well thought out. So I guess I'm in the minority for modified Ferraris. I'm a purist at heart and great original cars will always steal my heart. But cars that have dropped in value for whatever reason like theft, accidents, or flood.....if they are rejuvinated and morphed into a Frankenstein's monster of their former self in a way that is still somewhat respectful....I'll probably love it. I've often thought about buying up another Testarossa that's a total basket case, and just seeing what can be done with cams, EFI, maybe turbos or even nitrous, better gears, adjustable shocks, removal of weight....it could be made into a killer machine.

Just my ramblings....I hope you'll all forgive me.
Understand and agree. If I had any mechanical talent or knowledge (no risk here), I think it would be a great project to take a basket case TR or 328/348 and turn it into a little boys dream Franken machine.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
[QUOTE=carguy;60592] So I guess I'm in the minority for modified Ferraris. I'm a purist at heart and great original cars will always steal my heart. But cars that have dropped in value for whatever reason like theft, accidents, or flood.....if they are rejuvenated and morphed into a Frankenstein's monster of their former self in a way that is still somewhat respectful....I'll probably love it. I've often thought about buying up another Testarossa that's a total basket case, and just seeing what can be done with cams, EFI, maybe turbo’s or even nitrous, better gears, adjustable shocks, removal of weight....it could be made into a killer machine.

Quote:
Understand and agree. If I had any mechanical talent or knowledge (no risk here), I think it would be a great project to take a basket case TR or 328/348 and turn it into a little boys dream Franken machine.

Wow….I thought I was the only one here who thought that way…I'm glad to see the black sheep has a few grey buddies…..lol

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode