So much for the 355! 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-28-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
So much for the 355! 360

I came here a while back looking for comments and suggestions on the 355, and got a lot of great information. Since then I've been doing a lot of reading and asking questions, and the basic long and short is that a 355 is simply not a good buy here in Canada.

Basically Ferrari North America decided that the 355 no longer meets the Canadian bumper regs, and pulled them from the import list. Yes, BUMPER REGS. So basically if you want a 355 you have to buy one that started life here in Canada. There's a premium of at least 50% for such a beast -- a 355 hardtop recently sold here for $125k CDN IIRC. I can get a 360F1 ragtop for that amount in the US, and keep in mind that the Canadian dollar is now worth more than the US one. I do like the 360, don't get me wrong, but the sticker shock is a killer. $85k and my brain says "yeah, ok, I can do that", $125 and I see blackness.

But I do have a few questions:

For one, everyone at the dealers seems to suggest that the 360 is simply a better car than the 355, and that as a result they are somewhat less expensive to keep on the road. I'd also assume that since they are newer, there's less wear-n-tear and that should have an effect too. For those of you that have owned both, can you comment on this?

The other question is about carrying value and depreciation. From what I can see all of these cars hold their value surprisingly well after a few years. 2002 and 2004 360's are listed at about the same price on eBay, for what that's worth. If these can be used to gauge the selling prices, it seems that the overall depreciation if I held one for a couple of years would be on the same sort of order as a new BMW ragtop, on the order of 5-10k a year. Is this a reasonable estimate?

If so, then the overall cost actually doesn't seem that much different. Sure there's more up front cash and higher interest payments, but the difference between buying and selling price with the maint added on doesn't seem that much different at all.

Any comments?

Maury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
I biased...Did you consider a 348. It has depreciated a little more, is far more affordable, and is a very similar car to the 355 in performance. Unless you want the F1 Tranny, a Later model 348 is a great car and can be picked up for $45 to $50 making it a very sensible alternative.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #3 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Working and maintenance is certainly lower on the 360 as getting to the engine is much easier than on the F355. It is a very reliable car and should be nearing its depreciation bottom which is why you aren't seeing price drops that much.

post #4 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I have owned both. The F355 is a more emotional ownership experience and the 360 more rational. The 360 is definitely the better choice if you are going to use it on a daily basis. Replacing the manifolds and the cambelt service are major costs associated with the F355. If you opt for the F1 gearbox, plan on investing in a new clutch every 10-20k miles depending on the way you drive.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Working and maintenance is certainly lower on the 360 as getting to the engine is much easier than on the F355. It is a very reliable car and should be nearing its depreciation bottom which is why you aren't seeing price drops that much.
Speaking of, has anyone compiled a depreciation schedule? Some hard numbers would make my life a lot easier. IE, if I'm going to lose $20k over three years, that's something I'd be completely willing to do. $50k and then I'm back to sticker shock.

Maury
post #6 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I have owned both. The F355 is a more emotional ownership experience and the 360 more rational. The 360 is definitely the better choice if you are going to use it on a daily basis. Replacing the manifolds and the cambelt service are major costs associated with the F355. If you opt for the F1 gearbox, plan on investing in a new clutch every 10-20k miles depending on the way you drive.
What sort of costs are involved in the clutch job? I'm kind of curious about this because the 6-spd is far less expensive than the F1, and I'm perfectly happy with a stick (never owned a slip-clutch auto, never will). But I have to admit, launch control kinda turns me on.

Maury
post #7 of 15 Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post
What sort of costs are involved in the clutch job? I'm kind of curious about this because the 6-spd is far less expensive than the F1, and I'm perfectly happy with a stick (never owned a slip-clutch auto, never will). But I have to admit, launch control kinda turns me on.

Maury
Clutch is going to run at least $2k. For road use, I would recommend staying with a stick.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Clutch is going to run at least $2k. For road use, I would recommend staying with a stick.
Oh geez, that's not that bad!

I have been looking over the 348s as well. In retrospect they do seem to be a good deal. They look a lot like the 355, and the Spyder's are 50k, albeit for cars with 45-50 k on them. Considerably less performance, but honestly, I'm not going to be stressing the high-end very often.

Maury
post #9 of 15 Old 12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Oh geez, that's not that bad!

I have been looking over the 348s as well. In retrospect they do seem to be a good deal. They look a lot like the 355, and the Spyder's are 50k, albeit for cars with 45-50 k on them. Considerably less performance, but honestly, I'm not going to be stressing the high-end very often.

Maury
Hey Maury fellow Canadian here. I just went threw all that you are describing with importing a 355. Like you I was very disappointed when I found out I could not bring a 355 in and I was days away of finalizing a deal. Anyhoo after doing some home work I purchased a 94 348 spider all the specs are very close to the 355 especially if you update your exhaust system and and put on hyperflows, you should increase at least 8-10 hp putting you around 330 hp. That's quite a bit of power for a light car and should putt you under the 5 sec mark 0-60

p.s Someone told me about importing a 355 with a E29B form I did not bother to check what the form is or if it is bogus as I had already purchased my spider. Hope this helps.:thumbup:
post #10 of 15 Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
OK...I can't take it anymore

Night life...You are simply required to post a Larger, higher resolution copy of your avatar.

Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #11 of 15 Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post

Night life...You are simply required to post a Larger, higher resolution copy of your avatar.

Lane
x2

finally someone took the first step and said it hehehehehehe

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #12 of 15 Old 12-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Owner

Garage
Ciao tutti

Quote:

Lane
Well since I am the new kid on the block who am I not to honor a request.
BUT DON'T TELL MY GAL SHE WILL KILL ME.

Ps she was shooting a photo to market a local t shirt.
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:
I biased...Did you consider a 348. It has depreciated a little more, is far more affordable, and is a very similar car to the 355 in performance. .

similar in performance to a 355 .. ??? i think you are wrong ...
very wrong .....
post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:

Maury
Manual transmision is a better option for a regular/everyday guy than the F1.
even the F1 is very advanced, the manual gear will down cost and maintenance a lot ...
post #15 of 15 Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Owner

Garage
Ciao tutti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyex View Post
similar in performance to a 355 .. ??? i think you are wrong ...
very wrong .....
Hello I'm not saying that it's the same but if you do what I suggested with the ecu plus exhaust and hyper flows this would put you close to the same.
95 355 0-60 around 4.6 top speed 183 mph
94 348 0-60 around 5.3 top speed 171 mph

after upgrades
348 0-60 under 5 sec top speed 175 plus mph

that seems pretty close to me give or take a few milliseconds and you don't have to spend an extra $20000.
A 348 is more bang for the buck period....

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode