Searching for 355 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Searching for 355

Hi again - after meeting and talking with Steve ( Ferrari328GT.. thanks Steve!) about his 328 (wonderful cars), Testarossas, and his advice on 348s and 355s, I've decided to try to find a 355GTS (here in the US).

I'm already searching the usual places... Ebay, Cars.com, Autotrader.com, Hemmings, FML, etc. If anyone has one to sell, or knows of a good one for sale, would appreciate a heads up. Here's what I'm after...

'96 or newer GTS.. Tan or Brown interior (Italian name starts with a "C".. I love it!), Rossa Corsa, Blue preferred, but may accept Barchetta red or other maroon colors. Manual only (not an F1). Looking for low miles (lower the better, but under 20k mi).

Obviously, I want a well-cared for car, with documentation, books, tools, etc. If I can't find something nice in next 6 months or so, I may consider silver/gray over black or black/tan, black/brown, or may even widen the search to a Berlinetta. But I'm holding out right now for a GTS.

Thanks for any info! :drive:
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Rick,
I'm in the same boat as you. Try looking at the Ferrari dealer websites and independent exotic car dealer sites. I am leaning towards a GTB or GTS. Lots of Spiders out there but fewer Berlinettas and even fewers Targas in my searchnig over the past year. I vote for the stick over an F1 also. Good luck in your hunt. Red is certainly more popular and should give you a good selection to choose from. Hope you get one soon and share your experience with the group!
post #3 of 44 Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you also find a great car.

As far as 355s go, I've learned a few things. I've been told to avoid the '95s. They have earlier Bosch engine management firmware with OBD1, and I've actually read they have 2 main ECUs (each one handles 4 cylinders!). Also read that each ECU has it's own set of sensors, so that may mean 2X as many main engine sensors to fail/buy if there's a problem, compared with '96 and later models with just 1 ECU.

Other issue is that approx. 20% of '95s had valve guide problems causing oil burning. Apparently also occured on a few '97 and '98s. The valve guide issue is mentioned in the Ferrarilife 355 Buyer's guide. I'm sure these have all been fixed, but I'll go with a '96 or later with the updated Bosch engine management system with OBD2. At least you can read some of the main engine codes with software such as Autoenginuity, per Steve - Ferrari328GTS on this list.

For sure, I'll be letting everyone know when I buy something!

Rick

post #4 of 44 Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 298
Let me know if you need any help finding one.

Resources: Parts List | Buyer's Guides
post #5 of 44 Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Rick,

I also found the buyers guide to be very helpful, especially when looking at cars and discussing with sellers. Another thing to look out for is cracks by the C pillars. Sometimes you need to look pretty closely to see them.

Also, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a "Clean Car Fax Report". I've found out a lot of things about cars that never showed up in a report. $200 to $300 on a PPI is money well spent IMHO.

Steve
post #6 of 44 Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Right Steve - I agree with both your points.. Carfax is just a help, not a guarantee, and PPI is ALWAYS a good idea and the cheapest insurance!!

Rick
post #7 of 44 Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwschumm View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you also find a great car.

As far as 355s go, I've learned a few things. I've been told to avoid the '95s. They have earlier Bosch engine management firmware with OBD1, and I've actually read they have 2 main ECUs (each one handles 4 cylinders!). Also read that each ECU has it's own set of sensors, so that may mean 2X as many main engine sensors to fail/buy if there's a problem, compared with '96 and later models with just 1 ECU.

Other issue is that approx. 20% of '95s had valve guide problems causing oil burning. Apparently also occured on a few '97 and '98s. The valve guide issue is mentioned in the Ferrarilife 355 Buyer's guide. I'm sure these have all been fixed, but I'll go with a '96 or later with the updated Bosch engine management system with OBD2. At least you can read some of the main engine codes with software such as Autoenginuity, per Steve - Ferrari328GTS on this list.

For sure, I'll be letting everyone know when I buy something!

Rick
Definitely check the valve guides. In terms of Bosch 2.7 vs 5.2, I would not be as concerned. The earlier cars actually have about 5 more bhp. In additon the F50 uses Bosch 2.7 and performance is more than adequate.
post #8 of 44 Old 10-13-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Only reason I mentioned OBD2 is that I'm told you can use common software to read most of the engine/emissions codes and data ('96 and later), while OBD1 in the '95 is a bigger problem. But if an owner plans to always use a dealer for service, not really an issue.

Rick
post #9 of 44 Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
OBD 1 355 Berlinetta 95'

Does anyone have information on the OBD1 for the 95 F355 Berlinetta? I was thinking of buying a GM OBD1 for the Ferrari for diagnostics but confused as to whether or not this reader would work for the Ferrari? Any ideas etc??

Thanks,

George
post #10 of 44 Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidragon916 View Post
Does anyone have information on the OBD1 for the 95 F355 Berlinetta? I was thinking of buying a GM OBD1 for the Ferrari for diagnostics but confused as to whether or not this reader would work for the Ferrari? Any ideas etc??

Thanks,

George
I do not believe the GM OBD1 will work with a Ferrari.
post #11 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
F355

Having just bought a F355 Spider, I thought I would share my experience.

Living in Dubai, and my beloved 308GTS being back in South Africa, I decided in was time for a F355 here. I had NO luck in sourcing a car locally. That left shopping in Euroland or the USA as RHD cars are not allowed. The AED is pegged to the US$. So as the US$ tanked, I was left looking in the USA.

I did a lot of searching on internet. My head said I was looking for a manual GTS but my heart wanted a F1 Spider. I settled, Manual Spider. As the top would be down 99% of the time, I guessed I would take a chance on the vaguaries of the folding roof. The F1 box was NOT an option in Dubai traffic!!

Having had a bad experience with my 308, I decided I wanted to find a low miles car. I started at less that 20kmiles but ended up searching for less than 10Kmiles.

As I would have to fly to view and ship, I decided the North East USA was my search area. I found some guys seemed confused on the price. But for under $75k I found some nice cars. I paid my $40 for CARFAX checks.

I shortlisted 5 cars. All in my colour combo and miles spec. I found some of the owners didn't think I was for real, but after a few emails and a call, I set up viewings. Out of the 5 cars, I ppi'd 2. I found the dealers in Philly and Boston very helpful. Its $295 well spent.

Both cars were in need of MAJOR service/tyres/battery etc. The estimates where $11k and $18k. Due to the hard times in the USA, both guys were keen sellers.

Net result is I am the proud owner of a '97 7513 mile red/tan F355 Spider. The car is like new inside and out. 30K mile service is done, NO leaks, roof serviced, new tyres/battery. It has a full service history, books, covers. tool kit and both keys.

All for $78k. Inshallah(god willing, in arabic) I should have 5 yrs of trouble free motoring.

Last edited by avi8tor; 09-21-2009 at 01:32 AM.
post #12 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL, Avia8tor. Pretty impressive for a first post ! Very cool and logical. The only "complaint" I can point out is that we need to see pics of your car ! Please. Enjoy, and thanx for posting the story. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Owner

Thanx, as soon as its out of the container, pics will follow!!!
post #14 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Let's start with a pic of the container ! (Just kidding, sorry). Exciting moments ahead. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #15 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tor View Post
Having just bought a F355 Spider, I thought I would share my experience.

I shortlisted 5 cars. All in my colour combo and miles spec. I found some of the owners didn't think I was for real, but after a few emails and a call, I set up viewings. Out of the 5 cars, I ppi'd 2. I found the dealers in Philly and Boston very helpful. Its $295 well spent.

Both cars were in need of MAJOR service/tyres/battery etc. The estimates where $11k and $18k. Due to the hard times in the USA, both guys were keen sellers.

Net result is I am the proud owner of a '97 7513 mile red/tan F355 Spider. The car is like new inside and out. 30K mile service is done, NO leaks, roof serviced, new tyres/battery. It has a full service history, books, covers. tool kit and both keys.

All for $78k. Inshallah(god willing, in arabic) I should have 5 yrs of trouble free motoring.
Welcome to FLife and congratulations on the F355.

I am stunned that you could not find a car in Dubai. We were all hearing stories of parking lots full of high end abandoned cars in Dubai about 9 months ago.
post #16 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Welcome to FLife and congratulations on the F355.

I am stunned that you could not find a car in Dubai. We were all hearing stories of parking lots full of high end abandoned cars in Dubai about 9 months ago.
Moral to that story is don't believe what you read in the papers. There was a few distressed sellers, but that's the lot. I have been looking for a 355/360 Spider since I got to Dubai 2 and a 1/2 yrs ago. I have a feeling that the good cars might be getting exported back to europe.

I did see a few 360's, but with very odd colour combo's. I am sure silver/red is for some people, but not for me. I also saw a Lambo Spider somebody was taking a bit of a bath on, but still a bit rich for my blood.
post #17 of 44 Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Ciao & Welcome to FL

Awesome first Ferrari, looks like you did your homework, good man. Enjoy her in good health.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #18 of 44 Old 09-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Owner

Thanx - actually my 2nd. I still own a 308 GTS back in South Africa
post #19 of 44 Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tor View Post
Thanx - actually my 2nd. I still own a 308 GTS back in South Africa
We have quite a few guys from South Africa here. Vitalone, Schumacher, Mike430, etc.
post #20 of 44 Old 09-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
We have quite a few guys from South Africa here. Vitalone, Schumacher, Mike430, etc.
Yeah, I see so. I am sure I know them thru SEFAC.

Must say the owner's club here is VERY good. Played a big part in me finally getting the F355 here in Dubai. I find it adds great value to the enjoyment of the car. I wont track my F355 like I do the 308. But love watching and meeting new ppl etc. I do love the drive aways.

Why I liked the F355, can run with the big dogs on the fast drives, but still affordable and a modern classic. On the south african drives, I have to be in the 2nd pack.

Last edited by avi8tor; 09-22-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode