308 cigarette lighter and handbrake light - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 33
308 cigarette lighter and handbrake light

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the 308 back to it's former glory. As you will see I have this metal clip hanging from the handbrake and it looks like part of the cigarette lighter is also missing.

Can anybody tell me if anything is missing from either place or post a picture of what it should look like.

Also, is there a ferrari club that meets somewhere in Northants as I'd like to meet up with some other owners.

Phil
'79 308 GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Phil, can't answer your questions about the car.

However, the 3 Shires area group of the FOC regularly meet up in Northants. I think it covers Northants, Beds and Bucks. If you go to the FOC website you'll find out more info www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk
BTW, membership runs from Nov - Nov and is 75 PA, for that you get 4 magazines a year, free entry the the national concours, chance to meet up with local owners every month, and exclusive content on the members section of the website. TBH, this website and forum is better, but I do frequent the news section of the FOC site from time to time.

If you find a more local group of owners in the Northants/Leics borders, let me know, you're only 30 mins away from me, I'd be happy to meet up with a few others for a drive and/or chat.

Archie
post #3 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip litchfield View Post
Hi all,

I'm trying to get the 308 back to it's former glory. As you will see I have this metal clip hanging from the handbrake and it looks like part of the cigarette lighter is also missing.

Can anybody tell me if anything is missing from either place or post a picture of what it should look like.

Also, is there a ferrari club that meets somewhere in Northants as I'd like to meet up with some other owners.

The cigarette lighter is correct and the same as to the one fitted to the 365BB I used to own. The handbrake on my 75 308 GTB does not have the metal clip under the handle.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 52
cigarette lighter

I have a 1987 mondial and the lighter appears to be the same. I have trouble with mine also. The ligher male is missing, but the female looks just like mine.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktheTank View Post
I have a 1987 mondial and the lighter appears to be the same. I have trouble with mine also. The ligher male is missing, but the female looks just like mine.
I don't think that their ever was a "male" on the lighter. I believe it worked by pushing it in and then dropping the cigarette into the center slot. In theory easier than trying to bring a hot lighter up to a cigarette hanging out of your mouth while trying to hold a drift at 100+ mph.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Garage
Hello,
I post a picture of the tunnel cover, the cigarette lighter is the good one, I found one store which have them new for 195$ (Dennis McCann). Your switch for antenna is not the correct one as you can see it on the picture, it has to be the same of the other swicth but with two direction up and down. On my GTB 79 I don't have either the clip under the hand brake, is it after from the light bulb ? We don't see much on your picture.
Attached Images

308 GTB 1979
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

308 cigarette lighter and handbrake light

thanks to all for their advice and help, special thanks Archie for all your info,Ferrari ownership is exciting and finding out peoples opinions and thoughts really make it special.

Thanks

Phil
'79 308 GTB
post #8 of 11 Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
On the later 308s there was a small light under the handbrake to illuminate the controls that are in the center console. I've never seen the light replaced, is your clip by chance something bent down where the light would be?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Garage
You're right, but it is on all 308, start in 1975 poly. the extreme right part of this clip has to be in "clipped" the black handle and then the bulb is pressed on the left part of the clip. (sorry, english is not my mother language...)
Attached Images

308 GTB 1979
post #10 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Owner

thankyou very much for the info, i think you are right, i will investigate and let you know, must be a festoon bulb by the looks of it

Phil
'79 308 GTB
post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
The 'festoon' lamp fitted within the hand brake was coated to produce a green light. It's narrow width diameter is virtually unobtainable except from standard Ferrari sources. I remember measuring 1 1/4" long x 1/4" wide but purchase specs are in mm like 32x6. A similar but clear lamp is in my GTB glove box.

I abandoned search of a replacement for mine when I read in several places that the light from the handbrake is disturbing when driving at night. That dangling clip is one of two and was held in place with a single tiny screw which has probably vibrated out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode