308 308 GTB City Car & Daily driver - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 09-08-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
308 GTB City Car & Daily driver

Anyone who says a 308 has a head of rubish My 1975 308's short term assignment as a city car began yesterday. The day started with a 680 km drive on what turned out to be about the hottest day of the year with tempatures near 40C. The highway portion has not great as I ran into quite a few construction zones. In one place we sat for 15 minutes watching the crew drink coffee and catch up on the latest paving industry gossip. Clearly they are paid by the hour.....During this whole time the water temp never went above 95C and the aircon almost blew cold. Given the outside tempature I did pull the cover off the fuse box to prevent it from cooking internally. With the exception of 5 minutes when the turn signals refused to work, I had no problems the entire day.

Once in town, we went directly to the office. I checked the oil and had to top it up with half a liter. Oil consumption was spot on per the owners manual. After a few hours of rest, off we went into the middle of the city and a bit of traffic. Given how hot it was outside, the car had only partially cooled down and after 5 minutes both the the oil and water temps were at 95C. Despite having to spend quite a bit of time crawling in traffic, overall behavior was perfect. At one point, when we were stopped at a traffic light , a gentleman on a motor scooter wearing a suit tapped on the window. As he seemed harmless I lowered it a bit to see whaty he wanted. He asked what year the 308 GTB was and if it was a fiberglass car. At the end of the brief discussion (due to the green light), he smiled, complimented the cars condition, waved and drove off. Shortly thereafter we arrived at the apartment building, went into the car elevator, and decended to the cool underground garage. Manuvering in a tight garage without powersteering is a bit of a pain. Thus ended day one.

Net net over a total of 700 km in just about every driving condition imaginable, the 32 year old 308 GTB did not miss a beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
:thumbup: It's still got it. I liked the part about the guy on the scooter, classic!
post #3 of 40 Old 09-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
Reading between the lines this might not be that short term then?

The last 308 I painted was driven up from the wrong side of London (170ish miles?) on a boiling hot day, stuck in traffic at the Severn crossing, stuck again at Newport (anyone that knows the area will know where!!!!) took my poor customer 6 hrs due to traffic - car didn't miss a beat, started first time after all coffee breaks, and generally was a credit to it's owner.
It never failed to start in the workshop and I didn't find manouvering too bad at all.
It also took him the journey home fine and almost immediately on a driving holiday to the lake district - I think about 1500miles were mentioned!
Now that's what I call a useable Ferrari:thumbup:

post #4 of 40 Old 09-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Boxer, is it me or do i see you have a "thing" for your little 308 over your other wonderful machines? Not to diss the others, but there must be a special something, perhaps a magical quality, about the 308 as a driver's car. Am i nearing a semblance of truth or no?

And again good on your collection!
post #5 of 40 Old 09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Viscount,
The 308 is a driver's car. It hates to be left alone. The battery will go dead, the seals will start leaking, etc. It needs the road. Not stop and go city driving, track driving. The car is nimble and quick at speed, below 10 mph, my truck will out handle the 308.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #6 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscount aero View Post
Boxer, is it me or do i see you have a "thing" for your little 308 over your other wonderful machines? Not to diss the others, but there must be a special something, perhaps a magical quality, about the 308 as a driver's car. Am i nearing a semblance of truth or no?

And again good on your collection!
Well I do really enjoy the 308. It is a great involving car to drive. The advantages it has over the others is useability and praticality. You can just hop in and go. The F series cars require much more advance planning before you drop your rear into the driver seat.
post #7 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 504
Interesting. I've been giving thought to acquiring a 308, with preference for a GTB, as a daily driver. Your experience is encouraging. The only question is do I get it for Los Angeles or Paris?
post #8 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasnavian View Post
Interesting. I've been giving thought to acquiring a 308, with preference for a GTB, as a daily driver. Your experience is encouraging. The only question is do I get it for Los Angeles or Paris?
I do not know Los Angeles very well, so can not comment on that option. In terms of Paris, I think all the narrow rough cobblestone roads in the city center would be very hard on the suspension. I guess it would depend on where you lived.
post #9 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaautomotive View Post
Reading between the lines this might not be that short term then?
:thumbup:
Plan is for 2 months max and usage will be about 2 days a week. Hopefully the 308 GTBCC will hold up.
post #10 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasnavian View Post
LA for the spectacular mountain and ocean drives here. And no cobblestones.
post #11 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
You crack me up. Given your taste I knew the thread about affordable 2 seat convertibles probably wouldn't last. What was the phrase you used when you told me the 911TT was gone? Lose at speed and boring...?

Glad to know everyday you are driving a Ferrari from the classic V8 to the supercar V12.
post #12 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by viscount aero View Post
LA for the spectacular mountain and ocean drives here. And no cobblestones.
Agreed, LA traffic sucks but get outside the city and you'll have some good driving and views.
post #13 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 504
Yes, L.A. is probably more suitable, but I still recall leaving Paris one Friday evening arriving at Toulon the next morning. I wouldn't mind reliving that experience!
post #14 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
You crack me up. Given your taste I knew the thread about affordable 2 seat convertibles probably wouldn't last. What was the phrase you used when you told me the 911TT was gone? Lose at speed and boring...?

Glad to know everyday you are driving a Ferrari from the classic V8 to the supercar V12.
Well, yes. The 911 TT was boring at it did feel skittish at speed which was not a confidence builder.

On the other, I am still looking for a good longer term city driver option. Another friend suggested taking a look at a Lancia Delta Intergrale Evo. Any comments ?
post #15 of 40 Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

308 GTB-CC End of Term

Took the 308 GTB City Car out for a short jaunt yesterday. Checked all the fluids before heading out. Had to add a liter of coolant which I guess should not be surprising given the 750 kilometers covered on Friday in 40C heat. Started up on the 1st try and I let it warm up for a few minutes before heading to the car elevator and freedom. Pete is right, at low speeds manuvering in tight spaces, it is a truck. Once up in the daylight, headed immediately out of town and onto the highway. As traffic was very light, it was easy cruising. Ran up the highway for about 20 minutes before turning around and heading back. Completely uneventful.

Today will be its first day of communting duty.
post #16 of 40 Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Sounds like you've solved the problem. Why don't you just get another 308 . One for the city and one for the open roads.

Archie
post #17 of 40 Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I've taken my 328 into town on the daily commute several times. 45 mins to cover 5 miles, the car doesn't struggle at all. The only reason I use my Audi more is that it's an automatic and I don't have to worry about over using the clutch.
Long term, I'm not sure the 308's clutch would like the city?

Why don't you become an enviro crusader and start riding a bicycle to work and build up some carbon credits, then you can offset all the good you've done by driving one of the F series

Archie
post #18 of 40 Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
Sounds like you've solved the problem. Why don't you just get another 308 . One for the city and one for the open roads.
Easy answer: Winter - rain, snow, freezing tempatures.

Hence the 1-2 month window on the 308 GTB CC usage.
post #19 of 40 Old 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
The only reason I use my Audi more is that it's an automatic and I don't have to worry about over using the clutch.
Long term, I'm not sure the 308's clutch would like the city?
The clutch will definitely not benefit from stop and go traffic. This is another reason why the plan is to only use the 308 for a couple of months at most.
post #20 of 40 Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

To follow up. The 308 GTB-CC did just fine yesterday. Handled the moderate traffic like a pro. It is now parked and will have to sit for a week. This is the 1st time that it is not being left on a battery conditioner so starting it for the 1st time next week will be interesting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode