Do you expect to see rust on a 308? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Do you expect to see rust on a 308?

I recently looked at a 308 QV and observed rust on the bottom of the doors. I was with an experienced Ferrari owner friends who helped me identify problems with the car. There were several. The dealer says he has never had a 308 that did not have rust there, my friend says he has never owned one that has had rust.

The car has a very "dings" that only show when you look at them at the right angle. The paint is not perfect. My friend describes it as a "driver" that he would not pay over $25K for. It actually shows well except for the noted problems. It does leak oil, which the dealer explained as the cam seals leaking because the car is not being driven (sounds a little slippery to me).

What defects do you expect to find on a 308 QV and how much do they affect the value of the car?

How much of a problem is the rust?

Older whisky, younger women, and faster airplanes (and cars)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Tony, I've looked at 348's and 355's with rust on the rear butress and the bottom of the doors, so I would expect to see a 308 and 328 with rust in those places. If it isn't too serious it shouldn't be too much of a problem to fill and respray (but I'm no expert !!!!). Personally, I bought a car that had all the cosmetics done as I didn't want the hassle.

Archie
post #3 of 6 Old 08-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Your Honor,

The rust on the doors can be a major problem if it has spread to the interior frame rails. Get the dealer to take the door panels off so you can check. Even though my 308 is a fiberglass model, it still had rust on the door frame from years of slow water leakage and plugged drain holes. Fixing it was $$$$. I believe there are pictures the work here:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5688

On the cam seals leaking, it might be a big issue or it might not. Sometimes you just need to drive a car that has been sitting 50 to 100 miles and the seals will come back. If they don't, then they will need to be replaced which will also mean doing the cambelts resulting in a large engine out service (although 308 QV belts can be changed with the engine in)

post #4 of 6 Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
thanks

Archie and Boxer,

Thanks for your input. I walked away from the car that I was negotiating to buy because of the rust, poor paint, and some other issues.

I appreciate your input and the knowledge that you so kindly share.

Tony

Older whisky, younger women, and faster airplanes (and cars)
post #5 of 6 Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Rusty Cars

I think you made the right move, Tony. There's nothing I hate worse than rust. Not only can it be a structural problem, but it makes the whole car difficult to work on. All the little pieces break when you try to undo them, caged bolts twist off, philips screws are hopeless, electrical connections quit connecting, and, well, you get the picture. I used to work on rusty things when I lived in Michigan, which is why I live in Phoenix! There are lots of unrusty, low mileage Ferraris in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and lots in California. It would be well worth it to track one of these down. BTW, my 328 has no rust anywhere - it's from CA. -Steve
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
RPM up in Vermont has a very clean 308. Link is:

http://www.rpmvt.com/78F_308GTS.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode