328 to 288GTO body kit worth it? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-10-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
328 to 288GTO body kit worth it?

Hi, this is my first post on this board, I have been doing a little research and like the looks of the 328, but the GTO is incredible looking, no better looking car in my opinion. After reading some posts, it looks like modding a Ferrari is taboo, and the gto kit will not look right on the 328 (shorter wheelbase?). I just wanted some opinions, I think its worth it, and shouldnt affect resale, but what do I know. Is the kit bolt on (fenders, rear spoiler, etc)?
For performance, I thought about the turbo option, but I dont think its a good idea, at 270hp, it only needs about 30 more, but plenty more torque. Is there an online source of bolt ons to acheive this?
I am in the early stages of this, and dont want to be talked out of it, but I figure people on here have either considered/ done it, or realized its not worth it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
In my opinion, don't bother. Why ruin a perfectly good 328? I've seen a couple of 328 to GTO conversions on eBay and they are not worth as much as a genuine 328.
If you want a replica GTO, get a Fiero or MR2 and use that as your donor car because you will lose a lot less money that way.
Personally, just buy a stock 328 drive it and enjoy it. I love mine and would never do anything to mod it.

Archie
post #3 of 21 Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 490
Welcome to the Forum:thumbup:

Very couragous 1st post

The cost of doing the body conversion PROPERLY (and that is the key word!) would never be got back in the re-sale value. These were still essentially handbuilt cars - you can't purchase a one kit fits all & expect it to fit, the labour hours involved in getting it fitted & prepared properly (that word again!!) is always the factor people forget.
As per Archie - buy the 328 & enjoy it for what it is.
Hope this helps, Al.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, it looks like if I really want one, I am better off buying one already done. Im not worried about breaking even, cars are a hobby, and meant to be enjoyed, but I dont want to do something that would be looked down upon among enthusiasts. It would be a while before I pull the trigger on this, but Im trying to figure out a path.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Vader...We agree that the 288 is Hot Hot Hot. What a magnificent machine. Its the only vehicle I might ever consider to be more attractive than my 348 but... It could never be instead of my 348 only in addition too it. I could never imagine guting my car to change its appearance. Like a tit job on a supermodel, some things are better left alone. Making something a little better is not worth it to me, upgrading some other car, now thats just cool.

Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #6 of 21 Old 08-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Only seen it done once and the finish wasn't that great.
Best reason I can think of for doing it is on an accident damaged car.
As mentioned by others - the finish needs to be perfect, if you can fool others it might just be worth it
post #7 of 21 Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
In my opinion, don't bother. Why ruin a perfectly good 328? I've seen a couple of 328 to GTO conversions on eBay and they are not worth as much as a genuine 328.
If you want a replica GTO, get a Fiero or MR2 and use that as your donor car because you will lose a lot less money that way.
Personally, just buy a stock 328 drive it and enjoy it. I love mine and would never do anything to mod it.
IBID..... ............
post #8 of 21 Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

IBID? Not familiar with that???
post #9 of 21 Old 08-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Owner

Ibid is an abbreviated form of ibidem, an indeclinable Latin word meaning "in the same place, in that very place, in that very moment(in matters of time), in the same matter (in other relations)." It is formed from the Latin word ibi, meaning "in that place, there," and the suffix dem, or the word idem, meaning "the same."

Its use in a footnote or bibliographical entry indicates that the citation is taken from the immediately preceding entry. Note that it only applies to as much of the previous entry as is identical, so anything that differs in a subsequent entry (such as the page number in your example) must be included following ibid.

Source(s):
Lewis and Short, Latin Dictionary - http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/res...

Archie
post #10 of 21 Old 08-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 956
Intellectual

You had a knock on the head Archie ? LOL
post #11 of 21 Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Owner

No, just copied and pasted it from a website

Archie
post #12 of 21 Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,045
You'll find Archie is a walking encyclopedia
post #13 of 21 Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
You'll find Archie is a walking encyclopedia
LOL, no you'll just find that if I don't know something I look it up on the internet

Archie
post #14 of 21 Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Rebody cars are a difficult thing...I agree that if you want a 288 replica you should not start with a ferrari it just isnt right...Remember you can take a hooker put her in a designer dress and go to a black tie event but no matter what people think of how she looks underneath the designer clothes is still a hooker.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Since you guys are behind me 100%, I guess I should do it

I'll see how it goes, maybe I will, maybe I wont. I might come across a car that might need bodywork. I thought the kit would just bolt on anyway, I dont want to go through a lot of trouble.

One thing I wouldnt do is a kit car-fiero or whatever, its too fake, at least with a 288 kit, you can still have a Ferrari.

Good feedback though, I appreciate the honesty.
post #16 of 21 Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 AM
Owner

Might be worth attempting it with crashed and repairable 328 if you can get it cheap enough.
However, if you do it to a mint 328 it will be worth less than you paid for it by the time you've finished, plus you've got the cost of the kit, paint and labour. It doesn't make any financial sense.
My personal view is still, buy a 328 and enjoy it for what it is. From my own experience you will not be disappointed with it, sure it's not a GTO or a F40, but it is still a very enjoyable car to drive and above all it's a Ferrari
Good luck anyway.

Archie
post #17 of 21 Old 09-01-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have been still looking at this, and yes, I am realizing it is a lot of trouble, and not worth it. However I think a few changes could be made rather easily and reversible for the most part. I like the gto side mirrors, I would think that they would be easy to install (i think), remove the rear quarter window louvers, change the front spoiler or grille area, and clean up the rear exhaust area with a cover or valance. I really like the gto rear spoiler, but that doesnt look possible since it extends over to the 1/4 panels. It would just give a subtle change, not a big deal. Add about 30-40 hp, hopefully increasing torque a bit, chrome the rims (if possible) and that would be some car.
I thought I would post just to show I realize what was said and agree for the most part. Why make it whats its not, but I can enhance it a little. I have been looking for the right car, auto trader, ebay, but I am waiting for the right deal to come along. Thanks.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 05:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
308 to GTO

Vader,
I think you should do the conversion. In fact, I am looking at doing it also.
Take a look at Bert Kanter's conversion; I have never seen a more beautiful Ferrari. (Look for "Bert Kanters Ferrari" on Google.) I am just trying to find the best company to do the conversion here in the US. I am trying to find as much info as possible to do a high quality and tasteful conversion. For me I would rather have a "hot rod" 308 0r 328 "GTO" than a newer 360 or 430, there is just something about it that makes it attractive! I know everyone here is against it, but I say GO FOR IT!!!!
post #19 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
308 to 288 conversion

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages...E-288GTO-34555
Attached Images

post #20 of 21 Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
another one:
http://members.home.nl/bertkanters/
Attached Images